News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Windshield Ice Scraper Bevel Angles

Started by RickKrung, November 28, 2017, 08:07:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RickKrung

;) There is no forum for this, so I'll ask it here. 

It is getting colder here (Pacific Northwest of the US) with clear skies and freezing overnight temperatures, snow overdue.  While very mild here compared to other places, it got down to -16 F last winter with about 4 ft of snow.  My windshield ice scraper took a beating.  I noticed it this morning when I went out for breakfast and had to clear my windshield of a thin layer of ice. A lot of streaks of ice not removed with each pass.  Looks a bit like the Jeff's chisel after being whacked with an axe.   

How to refresh its clean clearing character?  It appears to have two bevels, a primary bevel of about 40 deg. and a secondary of about 60 deg.  I don't know the blade's composition or temper, but I believe a wide (3") belt sander or disk sander (12") could handle it, followed by honing by hand with finer grits. 

Thoughts? ;D

Rick
Quality is like buying oats.  If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes at a lower price.

Ken S

Rick,

You might try the Tormek Ice Scraper jig, SVI-100. (kidding) Actually, I needed to reduce the OD of a plastic adaptor ring just a little to fit my shop vac. I had just converted my belt grinder to vsriable speed. Lower speed kept the plastic from melting. I would be tempted to try the Tormek with coarse graded SG. If the wheel doesn't clog, I would switch to the side. Worst case scenario, a pass or two with the truing (dressing) tool should restore status quo ante.

Keep us posted.

Ken

ps Maybe Rem in the Yukon will share how he maintains his scraper with his dog sled.

jeffs55

Quote from: Ken S on November 29, 2017, 12:07:15 PM
Rick,

Lower speed kept the plastic from melting. I would be tempted to try the Tormek with coarse graded SG. If the wheel doesn't clog, I would switch to the side. Worst case scenario, a pass or two with the truing (dressing) tool should restore status quo ante.
Keep us posted.
Ken
ps Maybe Rem in the Yukon will share how he maintains his scraper with his dog sled.
An alternative to the dressing tool should your wheel clog would be to turn on the machine and with a propane torch melt the plasic out. Do not use the water trough on it as it would resolidify the melted plastic.  ;)
You can use less of more but you cannot make more of less.

cbwx34

I would get a scraper with a metal edge... they work a lot better.  ;)
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform.
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

RickKrung

Much better now.  Resorted to a large "mill bastard" file, operated at a slow speed and oblique angle so as to not melt the plastic and avoid a toothy edge along the working bevel. 

Mr. Scraper got a much better workout today as there was a light snow in the night followed by freezing rain so there was something much tougher to deal with this morning.  (photo is from yesterday)

;D
Quality is like buying oats.  If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes at a lower price.