News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Sharpening Axe with Tormek?

Started by Sharpco, November 26, 2017, 01:28:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sharpco

As far as I know, most axes have convex edge. But Tormek changes it into hollow. Is this OK?

I think axe jig should be able to handle convex edge.

cbwx34

Quote from: sharpco on November 26, 2017, 01:28:01 PM
As far as I know, most axes have convex edge. But Tormek changes it into hollow. Is this OK?

I think axe jig should be able to handle convex edge.

Not being an ax user, (and the only ones I've sharpened I used an angle grinder on, 'cause that's all there was)... I'll take a total guess here... that the overall blade shape/geometry of the ax will determine how well it cuts... not the final edge put on by the Tormek.

At some point, you may have to re-establish the overall profile of the knife ax.  ;)  This may require another sharpening (actually grinding) method.
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform.
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

Ken S

The axe jig is one of two Tormek jigs I do not own. I have been tempted, however, since I do not own an axe, I have not purchased one. Neither have I sharpened an axe.

I am curious to read the replies. As I recall, some of us have successfully sharpened axes with the Tormek.

At first glance, it would seem challenging to grind a convex bevel with a convex wheel.

Ken

Herman Trivilino

If you look at a new ax you will see that the blade consists of the two surfaces that meet to the form the edge, and they are nearly, if not completely, flat. The slight hollow grind of the Tormek grindstone is close enough to flat across the blade, as it's only a few millimeters wide.

The convex part you are talking about is the cheek. As you move away from the edge into the cheek the steel gets thicker, and those surfaces are not flat. A felling ax is concave if I recall correctly, but a splitting maul is indeed convex. This cheek profile is shaped differently for different axes, but it has little to do with the shape of the profile of the blade, and the blade is the portion you grind on when you sharpen the ax. I would think that if an ax has been sharpened so many times that the shape of the cheek is no longer what it should be to do the job properly, it's probably time for a new ax. I suppose it would be appropriate under some circumstances to try to reshape the profile, but a Tormek would not be sell suited to this task.
Origin: Big Bang

wootz

As Herman says, not all axes have convex bevel - splitting axes do, but carpenter's axe do not.

Convex bevel is advantageous with striking blades like splitting axes, which are hindered by a concave bevel edge. Those tools don't work as well with a hollow grind because the shape of the bevel "stops" the force of the stroke.

Check our procedure for sharpening hatchet & carpenter's axe http://knifegrinders.com.au/06Procedures_axe.htm

Sharpco

Thank you, all.

I'll try it with Tormek when I need to sharpen the ax later.

Herman Trivilino

Quote from: wootz on November 27, 2017, 02:23:29 AM
Check our procedure for sharpening hatchet & carpenter's axe http://knifegrinders.com.au/06Procedures_axe.htm

Wootz, what do you mean by "25 degrees included"? From the photograph it looks like you're sharpening at a 25° bevel angle, which would put the edge angle at 50°. I'm just curious about your terminology.

wootz

Herman, you gave me a fit of a panic attack, but I rechecked that webpage and see nothing wrong.
25 degrees included is the standard for axes, we sharpen them at 12-13 degrees per side.
For example, see page 29 of the American edition for Ax grinding:
http://knifegrinders.com.au/dropbox/Ax_grinding.pdf

If you still see a misfit in any our photos please do let me know.

Herman Trivilino

Wow! No wonder you can shave with them!

I would think that with an angle that small the edge wouldn't hold up to chopping. Certainly a wood chisel, cleaver, or kitchen knife wouldn't.

Jan

My Fiskars splitting axe has double concave blade geometry. The included cutting edge angle is between 25 and 30 degrees.

Jan

ear3

Just got a T-8, and after doing my lathe chisels, I started attacking other things I had lying around, like this axe I picked up at a garage sale a couple of years ago, and which had just been gathering dust in my shop since the edge was so severely damaged.  The head was too big for the axe jig, so I just worked it on the tool-rest -- somewhat clumsily, initially, as you can see by the multiple bevels.  But eventually I got a nice sharp edge.  Haven't tested it out on wood yet, but it slices the heck out of paper!

Jan

Welcome to the forum ear3, and thanks for sharing your results. I like your old axe. For splitting purposes the bevel is OK.

Sometimes I use a small clamp to better define the stop. For me it works better than the index finger stop, especially when reshaping the axe.

Jan

ear3

Thanks for the screw clamp idea.  When I first tried with the universal support, I actually tried rigging up a plywood jig that approximated the radius of the axe and clamping it to the head, but the topography of the head was such that it wasn't stable.  But the screw clamp might be an elegant solution with the built in radius of the clamp jaw.

BTW, I didn't realize the Festool screwclamps were simply rebranded Protool ones, but I guess that makes sense given the merger of the companies.

cbwx34

Jan is the master of ingenuity!    ;D
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform.
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

Jan

Ear3, you are correct, the screw clamp shown was made by Protool.

When the circular flat end of the clamp's screw roles without slipping along the USB, than the points of the edge trace a curve called extended cycloid.

Jan

P.S. Click the image to start or stop the animation.