News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

The mystery of SB-250

Started by Sharpco, November 24, 2017, 11:16:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RichColvin

Quote from: kwakster on November 26, 2017, 11:51:43 AM
Try using your SB-250 stone with some Blue Wonder detergent in the water basin (but don't use too much of it as then foam will start to build up)
From what i have found it will prevent the stone from clogging/glazing much better & longer than using only water.

Does any detergent work, or only Blue Wonder?
---------------------------
Rich Colvin
www.SharpeningHandbook.info - a reference guide for sharpening

You are born weak & frail, and you die weak & frail.  What you do between those is up to you.

Ken S

Rich, you took the question from my fingers. Kwakster, your post made me perk up. This might be the answer to my problems with the blackstone. Whether or not this works, I think it's worth a try.

Thanks, Kwakster!

Ken

kwakster

What i wanted for this specific purpose was a detergent with a strong degreasing & cleaning effect but with as little foam build-up as possible.
So far Blue Wonder has proven to work well for me, as long as i don't put too much of it into the water basin.
But i'm definitely not stuck on this specific product, and from time to time i will try something new.

cbwx34

Unless I'm having a Google "fail"... "Blue Wonder" detergent isn't available in the U.S.

Dawn has been used for other sharpening methods... I would think it would be an adequate substitute (although might be too "foamy"?)... unless there's something special in the Blue Wonder?

Edit to add:  I'm thinking a laundry based detergent (less foam), might be a better alternative.
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform. New url!
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

kwakster

Maybe Blue Wonder is only for sale here in Europe, i don't know.
But there must be some equivalent in US shops i'm sure.
What you want is an already watery thin substance (not a syrupy thick liquid) that has comparable properties.

Ken S

This may be a major breakthrough!

Ken

Sharpco

Quote from: Ken S on November 26, 2017, 01:50:15 AM
Sharpco,

I have learned a lot from other forum members and online research, as well as books. That said, sometimes there is no substitute for actual hands on work. Knowledge earned from your own work runs deep.

Please keep us posted. There is much to learn about the blackstone.

Enjoy the journey.

Ken

Today, I tested SB-250. Here is the result.

Low pressure: SB removes metal faster than SG
High pressure: SG is faster than SB.

Ken S

Excellent work, Sharpco!

This may be what motivates a number of us to blow the dust off our boxed up SB wheels and give them another try!

I will redo my standard test, at lighter pressure and with/ without detergent.

Ken

Crusty

So, which wheel removes stock the fastest overall?

Sharpco

Quote from: Crusty on December 07, 2017, 12:58:28 AM
So, which wheel removes stock the fastest overall?

Hi, Crusty.

It depends on the situation. For hard steel that is difficult to sharpen with SG, SB is faster than SG, and normal steel can get the fastest result with strong pressure in SG.

Herman Trivilino

Quote from: kwakster on November 26, 2017, 11:51:43 AM
Try using your SB-250 stone with some Blue Wonder detergent in the water basin (but don't use too much of it as then foam will start to build up)
From what i have found it will prevent the stone from clogging/glazing much better & longer than using only water.

Blue Wonder is marketed as a product for cleaning what? Dishes, clothes, floors?
Origin: Big Bang

grepper

kwakster

If you're in the US you could also try Windex.
A few knife sharpeners on Bladeforums.com use this product on silicon carbide bench stones with good results, so maybe it would also work on the SB-250 Blackstone.
I must say that i have no personal experience with this product, as it isn't for sale where i live.

Ken S

Sharpco,

In your tests, did you have any problem with either wheel glazing?

Kwakster,

Windex sounds intriguing. Any suggestions about what dilution (if any) to use?

Ken

kwakster

With Blue Wonder i think i use about a tablespoon on a full water basin.
You'll know when you've used too much when foam starts to build and "climb" the stone during operation, up to a point where it obscures your view on the knife's edge by making the otherwise clear water all bubbly.