News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.

www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Reviving a dried out leather honing wheel

Started by canuck, November 23, 2017, 06:51:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RickKrung

Quote from: jeffs55 on November 25, 2017, 10:26:23 AM
Well, one thing for sure. You do not need help on how to post pictures! Great shots. There are many on this site that have a problem with that.

Actually, he may need some help.  Or maybe I do.  I don't know how he got those pictures to upload, given there is a size limit of 256kb (or so).  The first photo posted, when saved to my computer is 492kb and 1600x1200 pixels.  Given those numbers, the photo is so huge, we only see half or less of it.  Below is the same photo that I saved by download and resized to 640x480 and is 105kb.  It shows the whole machines, not just the left side and honing wheel. 

This is not a criticism, just an observation and comment.  I, for one, would like to know how to post an image so that it shows full size rather than a thumbnail that must be clicked on to view effectively. 

Rick
Quality is like buying oats.  If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes at a lower price.

RichColvin

Rick,

I have a web site, and put all my Tormek forum pics in a folder there.  Then, I can use standard HTML tags to do what you are asking. 

I also use the width or height attributes on the picture also.  This allows a full-sized picture to be displayed smaller, and enlarged when the picture is clicked on.  An example is shown below (with spaces added to show the text correctly).  The 300 refers to pixels. 

An example is below :

[ IML width=300 ] (HTML link to the picture) [ / IML ]

Kind regards,
Rich
---------------------------
Rich Colvin
www.SharpeningHandbook.info - a reference guide for sharpening

You are born weak & frail, and you die weak & frail.  What you do between those is up to you.

cbwx34

Quote from: RickKrung on November 27, 2017, 03:41:05 AM
I, for one, would like to know how to post an image so that it shows full size rather than a thumbnail that must be clicked on to view effectively. 
Rick

He's using a 3rd party hosting site.  imgur.com or imgbb.com are the two that I use.  Don't use photobucket.

Once you load the image to the 3rd party site, you can then post a link in your post, and it will show up.

Using a 3rd party site to host "bypasses" the size limit... since you're not using the Tormek site to host the picture.

If you need more help, send me a PM.
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform. New url!
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

RickKrung

CB and Rich,

Thanks Guys.  I am aware of that process, just haven't been using it.  Didn't know it skirts around the size limit, but it makes sense as the image is probably being viewed off the remote website.

Rick
Quality is like buying oats.  If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes at a lower price.

cbwx34

I, for one, would like to know how to post an image so that it shows full size rather than a thumbnail that must be clicked on to view effectively. 
Rick

I missed the 2nd part of your request.  If you don't want to use a 3rd party host, you can insert the images you attach to a Tormek post.  You just have to modify your post, after you post it. ???

When you attach a picture and create a post, you'll notice that it creates a link.  Copy this link.  Then click on "Modify" for your post.  Put the cursor in the location where you want to place the picture, then click on "Insert Image", and paste the link you copied earlier.

If you do it this way, you are restricted to the Tormek size limits, (and have to be logged in to see the pictures, just like you do for the attachment), but now your pictures appear in the post, and don't have to be clicked on to view.

RickKrung

Quote from: cbwx34 on November 27, 2017, 01:55:24 PM
Rick

I missed the 2nd part of your request.  If you don't want to use a 3rd party host, you can insert the images you attach to a Tormek post.  You just have to modify your post, after you post it. ???

When you attach a picture and create a post, you'll notice that it creates a link.  Copy this link.  Then click on "Modify" for your post.  Put the cursor in the location where you want to place the picture, then click on "Insert Image", and paste the link you copied earlier.

If you do it this way, you are restricted to the Tormek size limits, (and have to be logged in to see the pictures, just like you do for the attachment), but now your pictures appear in the post, and don't have to be clicked on to view.

Thanks, CB.  I'll give it a whirl. 

Rick

canuck

Quote from: cbwx34 on November 23, 2017, 07:10:45 PM
Do you have the Tormek compound?  It has oil in it.  I would try that first.  I learned (the hard way), the wheel can be "over oiled".  From your pictures, the wheel looks in great shape.  Only thing you might consider is maybe using a nylon brush on it first... just to make sure it doesn't have any dirt or debris in it.

I add Tormek compound by putting a bead around the wheel, then rubbing it in with an old toothbrush... seems to give it a good coat.

That's my .02.   :)

I received a package today with the Tormek honing compound, Angle Master, and the Stone Grader. I followed your advice and used a nylon brush to clean the wheel. Then I put a thin bead of compound down the middle of the wheel and rubbed it in with an old toothbrush, but the wheel still seemed really dry. I tried honing a chisel, and dust was flying off the wheel. So I added two more thin beads on the right and left of the wheel, but it still seems pretty dry and fuzzy, and dust still comes off when honing.

Should I consider adding some mineral oil now? If so, how much?

Thanks again for all the advice.

canuck

Quote from: jeffs55 on November 25, 2017, 10:26:23 AM
Well, one thing for sure. You do not need help on how to post pictures! Great shots. There are many on this site that have a problem with that.

Actually, he may need some help.  Or maybe I do.  I don't know how he got those pictures to upload, given there is a size limit of 256kb (or so).  The first photo posted, when saved to my computer is 492kb and 1600x1200 pixels.  Given those numbers, the photo is so huge, we only see half or less of it.  Below is the same photo that I saved by download and resized to 640x480 and is 105kb.  It shows the whole machines, not just the left side and honing wheel. 

This is not a criticism, just an observation and comment.  I, for one, would like to know how to post an image so that it shows full size rather than a thumbnail that must be clicked on to view effectively. 

Rick

Thanks for the compliment jeffs55. I used to work as a photographer and it's still one of my hobbies. Sorry about the big pics Rick. I work on a 27" iMac and 1600x1200 images look fine to me, but after my first post here I realized it was probably too big for a forum. On my next post I downsized to the forum limit of 1200 wide and in the future, I'll try to make sure they're sized appropriately so everyone can see the whole image without having to scroll.

cbwx34

Quote from: canuck on November 30, 2017, 05:32:22 AM
I received a package today with the Tormek honing compound, Angle Master, and the Stone Grader. I followed your advice and used a nylon brush to clean the wheel. Then I put a thin bead of compound down the middle of the wheel and rubbed it in with an old toothbrush, but the wheel still seemed really dry. I tried honing a chisel, and dust was flying off the wheel. So I added two more thin beads on the right and left of the wheel, but it still seems pretty dry and fuzzy, and dust still comes off when honing.

Should I consider adding some mineral oil now? If so, how much?

If you feel it needs it, I would just add a minimal amount... as in, add oil to a towel or cloth, and then hold it against a spinning wheel.  If you apply it directly to the wheel... I would do a thin coat.

Also, not sure which mineral oil you're using... I've found the "drugstore" mineral oil to be thick and not that great for sharpening... doesn't seem to absorb well.  A thinner oil worked better for me (I actually use a honing oil).  Not sure what else would work.

canuck

Quote from: cbwx34 on November 30, 2017, 02:50:18 PM
Also, not sure which mineral oil you're using... I've found the "drugstore" mineral oil to be thick and not that great for sharpening... doesn't seem to absorb well.  A thinner oil worked better for me (I actually use a honing oil).  Not sure what else would work.

I don't have any mineral oil yet, but would probably buy it from the drugstore. The Tormek tube says to "impregnate the leather generously with light machine oil". I do have some 3-n-1 in the red and blue cans and I think I've read that you can use that.

RichColvin

I use sewing machine oil.  Very light and thin.
---------------------------
Rich Colvin
www.SharpeningHandbook.info - a reference guide for sharpening

You are born weak & frail, and you die weak & frail.  What you do between those is up to you.

canuck

Quote from: RichColvin on November 30, 2017, 07:27:05 PM
I use sewing machine oil.  Very light and thin.

I picked up some sewing machine oil today and applied a some to the wheel and then added some more honing compound, but I think it's still too dry. After I apply the compound it becomes chalky and dusty very quickly. Maybe I'm over thinking this, but I've read a lot on here about not putting too much oil on the wheel, but the manual also says "do not let the compound dry, apply more oil if necessary." The wheel in the Jeff Farris video below seems much more supple compared to mine and the very small amount of compound he applies doesn't dry out or become dusty.

https://youtu.be/3n4GzXVQvUE?t=1m43s

cbwx34

Quote from: canuck on December 02, 2017, 05:02:36 AM
I picked up some sewing machine oil today and applied a some to the wheel and then added some more honing compound, but I think it's still too dry. After I apply the compound it becomes chalky and dusty very quickly. Maybe I'm over thinking this, but I've read a lot on here about not putting too much oil on the wheel, but the manual also says "do not let the compound dry, apply more oil if necessary." The wheel in the Jeff Farris video below seems much more supple compared to mine and the very small amount of compound he applies doesn't dry out or become dusty.

https://youtu.be/3n4GzXVQvUE?t=1m43s

I'm not sure the video is a good comparison... since he puts it on and uses it right away.  (You can see it building up on the underside of the tool).

You'll get some "dust" from a new wheel... I think some of it is just the new leather coming off, in addition to some of the compound.

If you think it still needs it... then add a bit more oil.  The point I was trying to make is... don't overdue it.  Maybe one more round... then use it a bit and see what results you're getting?  Ignore a bit of "dust" that comes off initially... even my "over oiled" wheel did that at first.  I'd re-evaluate after using it a few times.

Keep me posted... I'm not the expert... just sharing my experience.

Edit:  By "new" I mean unused in this case.... (a used wheel gets fairly hard and smooth).

cbwx34

Any update on your wheel?

BTW:  I keep forgetting to add this... if you have a decent burr on an edge, the burr will kick up a lot of dust/debris.  (One reason I try and minimize the burr on the stone with light alternating passes, before moving to the leather wheel).

Anyways, just curious if there's any update.   ???

canuck

Sorry I didn't report back. Haven't had much time to use the Tormek the last couple days, but I did add some more sewing machine oil one morning and then used the wheel with more honing compound in the evening. It did seem much better, and didn't kick up quite as much dust. So hopefully I have the right balance now. I can imagine a heavy burr would make it seem worse, so I'll try in to keep an eye on that as well.

I was reading that one application of honing compound should be good for 4 or 5 tools. Does that mean 4 or 5 tools in one sharpening session? What if you do one tool and then let the machine sit for a few days or a few weeks? Is there a certain time limit where a fresh application of honing compound would be required?