News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

To sharpen a knife, you must first sharpen...

Started by cbwx34, November 18, 2017, 10:25:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cbwx34

... a chisel!

... a Utility Blade!  ;D

It's been a while since I've done it, so hadn't thought about it recently, but today I wanted to do some testing, and it popped back in my head.  Used to do it all the time to test various finishes/angles/etc.  Actually works well on the Tormek, (as seen in the picture), you can mount it in the knife jig, and its quick and easy to create an edge for testing.  Inexpensive, actually fairly decent steel, and small enough to quickly create an edge for testing (did I say that already?).  ::)

Anyway, thought I'd pass it along, in light of some of the recent conversations... may be easier than trying to sharpen a bunch of different knives to test.
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform. New url!
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

Ken S

Excellent thought, CB! A readily available, essentially no cost of uniform edge material. Utility blades strike me as a knife person's alternative to chisels. They can provide much knowledge.

Please keep us posted.

Ken