News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

A curved stone grader

Started by Sharpco, November 08, 2017, 09:48:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sharpco

This is a stone grader I use only for SJ stone. That is, it is not worn at all. But as I checked today, it was curved as a whole.

Could this be the cause of the following?

https://forum.tormek.com/index.php?topic=3415.0

Is there any other way to clean the SJ stone besides the Stone grader?

cbwx34

I use a rust eraser (mentioned here) to keep the stone clean.

I don't think it's causing your problem (I'll address that in the other thread), but it's possible.  The obvious thing to do here is check and true your stone if needed.
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform.
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

Sharpco

I'll buy it. Is there a difference in cleaning speed?

cbwx34

Quote from: sharpco on November 09, 2017, 12:57:13 AM
I'll buy it. Is there a difference in cleaning speed?

Haven't compared the two (never used the stone grader to clean the SJ stone)... but I don't spend more than a minute with the rust eraser.  Works pretty quick.
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform.
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

Tournevis

Quote from: sharpco on November 08, 2017, 09:48:30 AM

Is there any other way to clean the SJ stone besides the Stone grader?

Give a try of my discovery several month ago.
At the end of your working session, unmount the SJ Stone and put it in a tank with tap water.
You will see that 90% of carbon dark traces will disappear and potentially 100% if you give few movements of hand brush and 2 drops dishwashing liquid soap.
Let me know if it works.  ;)

Sharpco

Quote from: Tournevis on November 09, 2017, 12:05:07 PM
Give a try of my discovery several month ago.
At the end of your working session, unmount the SJ Stone and put it in a tank with tap water.
You will see that 90% of carbon dark traces will disappear and potentially 100% if you give few movements of hand brush and 2 drops dishwashing liquid soap.
Let me know if it works.  ;)

Thank you for telling me another way to clean the SJ. However, I often have to sharpen more than 5 knives at a time and usually I need to clean the SJ once every three. So I need a faster and simpler way.

Ken S

I purchased a rust eraser. I have not used it yet, however, it certainly seems worth a try. I will hold comments until after I actually try it.

Tournevis' idea also seems worthy of a try. Good thinking, guys.

I would add one caution. The first time I used the SJ, and also the SB, After I thought they were dry I returned them to their boxes for safe storage. I found out that they retain moisture for several days. I now store most of my grinding wheels on hooks. (The Norton 3X wheels also retain moisture for a long time.)

Ken

Ken S

The rust eraser and a Nagura stone, suggested in an earlier topic, seem good choices for "on the fly" cleaning.

Ken

Sharpco

Anyway, I think this is a defective product. Is my idea wrong?

Ken S

I do not believe the product is defective. Considering that the SG, SB and SJ grinding wheels are very different in composition and binding, I think it is asking a lot for one stone grader or truing tool to work with all of them. I believe the stone grader was introduced with the manmade aluminum oxide SG-250. The manmade grinding wheel cut more quickly than the original natural stones. However, this coarser grit did not leave as fine a finish. Tormek chose the path of the stone grader instead of offering a finer grit wheel. This was long before Tormek patented the EZYlock shaft, which made interchanging grinding wheels practical.

Another factor is Tormek's philosophy of simplicity. Tormek has always wanted to provide the most versatile machine needing the fewest number of components. They did not want the customer to have to purchase half a dozen knife jigs or several grinding wheels. The stone grader works with all the Tormek grinding wheels. I think it works best for its original purpose, grading the SG. It works (fine side) to clean the SJ. I consider this a secondary fiunction. Rust erasers and nagura stones are inexpensive. If you are curious, try them. Base your preference on your own experience.

Ken

Sharpco

Quote from: Ken S on December 27, 2017, 07:04:35 AM
I do not believe the product is defective. Considering that the SG, SB and SJ grinding wheels are very different in composition and binding, I think it is asking a lot for one stone grader or truing tool to work with all of them. I believe the stone grader was introduced with the manmade aluminum oxide SG-250. The manmade grinding wheel cut more quickly than the original natural stones. However, this coarser grit did not leave as fine a finish. Tormek chose the path of the stone grader instead of offering a finer grit wheel. This was long before Tormek patented the EZYlock shaft, which made interchanging grinding wheels practical.

Another factor is Tormek's philosophy of simplicity. Tormek has always wanted to provide the most versatile machine needing the fewest number of components. They did not want the customer to have to purchase half a dozen knife jigs or several grinding wheels. The stone grader works with all the Tormek grinding wheels. I think it works best for its original purpose, grading the SG. It works (fine side) to clean the SJ. I consider this a secondary fiunction. Rust erasers and nagura stones are inexpensive. If you are curious, try them. Base your preference on your own experience.

Ken

Ken.

I think Stone Grader is good for cleaning SJ. But I have two stone grader and only one of them is curved. Of course not curved one is work good but others can't clean evenly the surface of SJ stone.

And I bought a rust eraser and a nagura stone. Both can be used to clean the SJ stone, but I have found that they can't completely restore SJ's bright mint color. I think it is because they're not abrasives.

Ken S

Sharpco,

I have several stone graders in various conditions. With one, I even tried to dress a Norton 3X wheel, not a good idea, the 3X wheel dressed the stone grader!

Tormek doesn't say much about stone grader wear. Steve Bottorff has stated that he generally replaces his nylon bushings after wearing out three grinding wheels. I would not be surprised if both diamond trying tool tips and stone graders eventually wore our with heavy use.

I think your idea of using a separate stone grader with the SJ is good practice. I have a new stone grader. When I start using my SJ more, I will reserve it for the SJ.

Ken

Sharpco

Quote from: Ken S on December 27, 2017, 07:43:31 AM
I think your idea of using a separate stone grader with the SJ is good practice. I have a new stone grader. When I start using my SJ more, I will reserve it for the SJ.

Ken

Ken.

Good idea. As you say, I think using separate stone grader for cleaning SJ is necessary. And I already do it. I using stone grader when only cleaning SJ. But my curved stone grader is curved from it is new.

Crusty

Sharpco, I can see the curve you're talking about in the pics, can you get a better shot of the stone where the two grades are joined, against a straight edge?

RichColvin

I use a Nagura stone.  Works well & is fast.

Rich
---------------------------
Rich Colvin
www.SharpeningHandbook.info - a reference guide for sharpening

You are born weak & frail, and you die weak & frail.  What you do between those is up to you.