News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Robin Bailey's support

Started by ega, October 29, 2017, 12:10:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ega

Lots of hits for this via the site search box but I couldn't find a picture of this interesting-sounding device. Can someone kindly provide a pointer, please?

cbwx34

Quote from: ega on October 29, 2017, 12:10:48 PM
Lots of hits for this via the site search box but I couldn't find a picture of this interesting-sounding device. Can someone kindly provide a pointer, please?

You'll have to get Ken or someone who has one to post a picture... I don't think they're being sold anymore.  From what I remember it's just a USB on steroids.  :)
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform. New url!
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

Ken S

Here is a quick comparison photo.

ega

Ken S:

Many thanks. I take it this is the "Chinese cleaver" variant.

Ken S

SharpenADullWitt

Quote from: cbwx34 on October 30, 2017, 03:55:14 PM
Quote from: ega on October 29, 2017, 12:10:48 PM

You'll have to get Ken or someone who has one to post a picture... I don't think they're being sold anymore.  From what I remember it's just a USB on steroids.  :)

Still on his site I see:
http://www.sharpeningtraining.co.uk/ourshop/prod_6129672-Tormek-Extended-Universal-Support-Bar.html
Favorite line, from a post here:
Quote from: Rob on February 24, 2013, 06:11:44 PM
8)

Yeah you know Tormek have reached sharpening nirvana when you get a prosthetic hand as part of the standard package :/)

Ken S

Good find, SADW!

I checked, but somehow overlooked it. I am glad you found it. If you live in the UK or continental Europe, shipping is expensive for D-Way CBN wheels, shipping from Washington State, USA. If you live in the US, alas, it is expensive to ship an extended support bar from Robin in the UK. Life is a balance. I decided not to worry about it and ordered a support bar from Robin several years ago. I have found it a useful adjunct to my Tormek.

Ken

cbwx34

cbwx34

All the way, from the U.K....

.... should be able to replace the "hose clamp" setup pictured, (and significantly reduce the weight). 

Now I have an urge for a warm beer.   ;)
(That really a thing there?) :)

Ken S

Nice photo, CB.

While your new Bailey extended support bar is much more practical, your clamped version gets the Popular Mechanics Home Workshop Award. ;)

Good job, CB. I hope you like your new extended support bar; I like mine.

Ken

Crusty

First post here guy's and gals
I have just ordered one of these from Robin as I've noticed I can only do max blade depth of 60mm on US-105.
Really enjoying this site and the abundance of information you all give, in time I hope to be able to contribute a bit myself.

Ken S

Welcome to the forum, Crusty. (Do you ever listen to Car Talk on public radio? It is a very informative and funny show. One of their mechanics is named Crusty.)

Robin's extended support bar is like a long telephoto lens for a photographer. You may not need it very often, however, when you do it works very well, and there is nothing like it. I would not part with mine; it does a really nice job with my favorite Chinese cleaver.

I look forward to reading your future posts. Don't be shy; you are among friends.

Ken

Crusty

Can't say I've heard it Ken, I live in Darwin mate ;)

Ken S

Just turn your radio upside down; it should come in fine.  :)

Ken