News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

US400 Extended Universal support

Started by stevebot, October 27, 2017, 04:29:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken S

No typo. Tormek had a specific model for restaurant use before the T2. There was a photo of it recently on the forum. It used the US-400 support bar. As I recall, it was larger than the regular Super Grind and needed the longer support bar to use that length with longer knives.

Although the US-400 is interchangeable with the standard support bar on all Tormeks, I don't think it was ever marketed as an accessory for them.

I have frequently stated my belief that every well equipped Tormek sharpener should make a platform like Herman's. While not a jig, it is very versatile and useful for a wide range of dizes from scalpels to machetes.

Ken

cbwx34

Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform.
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

Ken S

stevebot

Quote from: cbwx34 on October 28, 2017, 05:45:25 PM
Probably a typo (T2?)... but the US-400 was a standard issue USB at one time?  (Even their history page doesn't show it).

The US-400 or something like it was standard on an all stainless steel Tormek sold to the food industry only in Europe. I think the model was T-4000.
Steve Bottorff; author, teacher and consultant on knife and scissor sharpening.

cbwx34

Quote from: stevebot on October 29, 2017, 12:12:03 AM
The US-400 or something like it was standard on an all stainless steel Tormek sold to the food industry only in Europe. I think the model was T-4000.

Bingo!

8)

Ken S

Interesting photo, CB.

The water trough looks like the original advanced water trough. The grinding wheel is the standard SG-250. It looks like the leather honing wheel was used freehand.

Thanks for posting it.

Ken

Editted later:

I wonder what else besides the advanced water trough might have originated with the 4000. The first possibility which comes to mind is the present long knife jig with 140 mm blade width. The earlier long knife jig was 100mm wide. When the 140 was introduced, Tormek only planned to distribute it in Europe. Could that have been in conjunction with the 4000?

Tormek later introduced a regular shaft made of stainless steel for the T7. I wonder if that might have originated with the 4000.

The plot thickens............

Sharpco

cbwx34.

What I have is like Ken has.

This is 100mm taller and 70mm wider than the standard bar.

Ken S

I remember when Robin first posted his frustration sharpening cleavers. He wanted a taller support bar and did something about it. I admire him for that. I purchased my entended support bar from him for two reasons. The second reason was to be able to sharpen my Chinese cleaver well. Robin's support bar does that very well. The first reason was to support one of our own.

The main reason why more of us didn't purchase Robin's support bar was the shipping cost from the UK to the US. Call me not thrifty, I did not factor that in my decision.

My Chinese cleaver was a wedding present from my late best friend of many years. Robin's support bar makes it possible for me to sharpen it well. I don't think in terms of cost for such things.

Ken

Jkwhawaii

Hi Steve,
Please add me to your list.
Thank you
John

stevebot

The US 400 Extended Universal Support is now officially for sale. 12 pieces are on order and 9 are already spoken for.
Order here

http://sharpeningmadeeasy.com/tormek2.htm

RickKrung

I believe I am one of the nine who spoke for one, but just to be sure, I want one.

Thanks,

Rick
Quality is like buying oats.  If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes at a lower price.

stevebot

If you are interested in a US400 you need to order it NOW. I notified everyone who contacted me personally a few days ago and notified this forum yesterday but only one person has actually placed an order. I do not want anyone to be disappointed.

The US 400 Extended Universal Support is now officially for sale. Order here

http://sharpeningmadeeasy.com/tormek2.htm

Ken S

I would like to mention something about Steve here. I am one of the original tormekers who has shown interest in the US-400. Steve did not know the cost at first. He took a guesstimate at eighty dollars total. He immediately had at least nine takers for the ten units he was trying to order(ten including Steve himself). As you can see, he has them listed for $48US (plus reasonable shipping cost). This may well be the only opportunity for anyone in North America for anyone to purchase this item. When a merchant has a virtual monopoly with commitments at a higher price and instead chooses a lower price, I call that person honest. I am impressed. Knowing Steve, I am not surprised at this honesty. He is a refreshing change from some of the online shenanigans I have seen all to often.

Well done, Steve.

Ken

ps For the record, I will be mailing Steve a check for full price for my order.

Sharpco

Quote from: Ken S on November 21, 2017, 07:23:02 AM
I would like to mention something about Steve here. I am one of the original tormekers who has shown interest in the US-400. Steve did not know the cost at first. He took a guesstimate at eighty dollars total. He immediately had at least nine takers for the ten units he was trying to order(ten including Steve himself). As you can see, he has them listed for $48US (plus reasonable shipping cost). This may well be the only opportunity for anyone in North America for anyone to purchase this item. When a merchant has a virtual monopoly with commitments at a higher price and instead chooses a lower price, I call that person honest. I am impressed. Knowing Steve, I am not surprised at this honesty. He is a refreshing change from some of the online shenanigans I have seen all to often.

Well done, Steve.

Ken

I agree. Thank you so much, Steve  :D

cbwx34

Quote from: Ken S on November 21, 2017, 07:23:02 AM

Had to look up the definition of a "check"....  ;)