News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Stu Batty 40/40 grind

Started by boehme, October 25, 2017, 11:46:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Twisted Trees

As I said it was hard to see the angle in the original photo.

The second 40 refers to the swing on the wing, you could measure 40° and put a bit of tape on the bar to show you the extent of the swing in each direction. I would still recommend that the 3 facets should be approached separately then blended together.

RichColvin

Stuart Batty presented at our woodturning club this past week.  He graciously reviewed what I'd put on the Sharpening Handbook regarding bowl gouges. 

http://sharpeninghandbook.info/WW-BowlGouge.html

One really key insight he provided is in the intro on that page:

QuoteGuidelines below can be taken with two approaches :

• Sharpening for a workflow which uses a single bowl gouge - consider the shape used by artists whose work you admire (e.g., the "Ellsworth grind" if you wish to pursue work like David Ellsworth).

• Sharpening for a workflow which uses multiple bowl gouges - consider the 40/40 grind for one, and a much higher α for the other (i.e., for using the second bowl gouge for the inside bottom of the bowl).

And I think that is a huge point for what angle you choose. 

I'd love feedback.

Kind regards,
Rich
---------------------------
Rich Colvin
www.SharpeningHandbook.info - a reference guide for sharpening

You are born weak & frail, and you die weak & frail.  What you do between those is up to you.

Ken S

Good post, Rich.

Are you recommending js2;75mm projection; and hole A on the Tormek to approximate Stuart's 40-40 grind? Unfortunately, this popular grind was not included in the Tormek listing.

I have always thought highly of Alan Holtham and his videos.

I disagree with the second reviewer when he asks if the 186 is worth another hundred dollars for 185 users. I stated clearly in my initial review of the 186 that I thought it was worth the cost for 185 users to upgrade. I still feel that way. The improvements are substantial and several.

I wish Tormek would add an addendum to the turning handbook to include the 40-40 grind (or a close approximation) which could be printed and taped into the turning handbook.

Good work, Rich!

Ken

RichColvin

I've used the Ellsworth grind for years, and have seen limitations for the type of turning I do.  Especially as I make basic shapes on my traditional lathe so that I can finish the work on my rose engine lathe. 

So, I'm going to regrind one of my bowl gouges to be a 40/40 grind and try it.

One of the arguments Stuart made that helped me decide this way is that 40° requires less pressure to cut.

And, I agree :  the SVD-186 is definitely worth the money, even if you already have the SVD-185!

Kind regards,
Yes
---------------------------
Rich Colvin
www.SharpeningHandbook.info - a reference guide for sharpening

You are born weak & frail, and you die weak & frail.  What you do between those is up to you.