News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Possible problem with MSK-250 EzyLock shaft kit

Started by ega, October 23, 2017, 11:02:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ega

I took the advice to upgrade to the new stainless EzyLock shaft but on getting the kit noticed what seemed to be a small but significant problem with the shaft. Here is what I wrote to the supplier:

"Thanks for sending the MSK-250.

Unfortunately, I think there may be a manufacturing defect in the shaft. At the EzyLock end of the nominal 16mm dia portion of the shaft and where the nylon bush sits there is a small but noticeable step 15 mm long; the bulk of the shaft measured with a micrometer is 15.98 dia but the stepped portion is slightly smaller at 15.95 mm dia. This would mean that one of the bushes, which appear to be identical, would be a looser fit than the other.

Will you please look into this with a view to exchange or refund. This is an expensive item and I do not wish to install a defective shaft in my Tormek.

I await an early reply, please."

Ideally, I would l like to know the official Tormek view on this. I know they specify a generous tolerance for the fit of the nylon bushes but presumably the 16 mm nominal length of the shaft should be the same diameter at each end. I would also value comments from the forum.

Stickan

Hi,
The shaft is precision-trued on the stone side. This might look a bit strange but gives better tolerances.
The weight of the stone makes the shaft to be in the bottom of the bushing and run within the tolerances.
In other word, your shaft should be exactly as we designed it.

Sincerely,
Stig

ega

Stickan

Thank you for this very prompt reply. Unfortunately, I did not see it before trekking up to the post office to return the kit to the supplier; I must now wait to see how they respond.

I have, of course, returned the instructions with the kit but, so far as I recall, there is no mention of this precision truing there, which seems unfortunate. Strictly speaking, the new shaft (and, therefore, the stone) will have a slight swashing motion and whilst I accept that this may not matter in practice I think the feature should have been pointed out and explained in the instructions and also made clear on the website. I wonder whether this feature was included on the original, plated and rust-prone shaft?

I appreciate your valuable contributions to this forum.

Stickan

Hi,
To bad that you already sent it.
Sometimes an e-mail to support@tormek.se is the fastest way to get information even if I highly appreciate all the knowledge and help shared between forum members.
When the part of the shaft where the stone is mounted is being trued, we also true the part where the bushing is to ensure that the stone and bushing has the same tolerances.

Sincerely,
Stig

ega

Stickan:

Again, thank you for your concern and interest. Incidentally, I returned the kit immediately because, without any discussion of my problem, the supplier asked me to do so. Having looked at the website, I could not see that it was possible to email Tormek direct but have noted this very helpful possibility for the future.

I understand you to indicate that the stone end of the shaft is trued to ensure concentricity of the journal (16mm nominal) with the 12mm diameter where the stone sits. This is clearly desirable, particularly if stones are being removed and replaced frequently as seems to be the trend. The same result could have been achieved at the manufacturing stage, however, by mounting the shaft truly and just machining the 12mm portion (always assuming that the shaft was already round, parallel and of correct diameter).

Ken S

Regarding not being able to see how to contact Tormek from the website:

At the bottom of the main page, the support email address is listed. It is also listed in the contact tab. I do not mean to appear critical. I might have overlooked them also in the heat of being frustrated with your situation.

Please continue to share your Tormek experiences. I converted to EZYlock in 2010, and would not want to go back. Once you become fluent with EZYlock, I am sure you will like it.

Ken

ega

Ken S:

Thank you for tactfully pointing out to me that the support email address is indeed there for all to see on the Tormek website; as they say, "hidden in plain sight" (like the purloined letter).

As an incidental comment, the position here in the UK is that one's first recourse in case of problem is to the seller with whom one has a contractual relationship. The irony of that is that the seller often doesn't know the product well enough to give an answer and just resorts to "exchange or refund". That said, my seller has been consistently prompt and helpful and I hope the matter will end happily; I did feel honour bound, of course, to pass on the gist of Stickan's valued advice.

I certainly intend to persist in getting EzyLock functionality. One concern I had about frequently changing wheels was the possibility of excessive wear on the spindle but checking my now very old SG wheel I see that it seems to have a non-abrasive insert in the bore. Can you say whether the Blackstone wheel is similarly equipped?

Ken S

Your "hidden in plain sight" comment brings up an interesting point. When I checked the website, I had the advantage of knowing exactly what I was looking for. In addition to spending a lot of time on the forum (far more than the forum stats note), I try to keep current with the website. Tormek welcomes website feedback. My main reason for checking the website was to make sure that the support email address was included. If it was not already there, I would have noted that in an email to the website people at Tormek. I will notify Sweden about it being hidden in plain sight. The intent of the website is to be user friendly. In this case, that could be made more user friendly.

I have also used the little how do you like the website pop up box to make comments. I encourage all of us to do likewise. The website has a lot of interesting information. I have watched the numerous videos many times, and have never failed to learn more each time. Don't overlook the Tormek friends videos. I especially enjoy the video with Per, the fisherman. Per's quiet, warm humor appeals to my inner philosopher.

We have the same dealer as first line of defense situation un the US. I am unusually blessed with living in an area with several Tormek dealers, including three outstanding dealers. Ironically, two of the outstanding dealers are located in Amish villages. Both are very large stores. Both cater to Amish craftsmen. At either Keim Lumber or Hartville Hardware, one could easily spend twenty thousand dollars or, just as comfortably, spend forty nine cents for some sewing pins. The sales people are friendly and helpful, however, with so many products, they are not particularly Tormek knowledgeable.

The exception to this is sharpeningmadeeasy.com, owned by our own Steve Bottorff. Steve has spent many years as a Tormek user, teacher, and dealer. Until recently, he worked the farmers market every Saturday morning. His table weights tell the story; he uses eight worn out Tormek grinding wheels!

Unfortunately, dealers with Steve"s background are rare. We live in the online era, where .tech support" is generally return and refund. Tormek is a refreshing exception to this. As moderator, I communicate with Stig very frequently. I generally use his direct email, although sometimes I use the support email (support.tormek.se). I use this to make sure that it indeed works as well as I state. It does. It has become my first response for any topics under warranty. Dealers want to be helpful. In the past, dealer help generally involves more steps. Tech support draws on decades of experience as Tormek. We are pleased to help with questions on the forum. Please feel free to post any questions. However, do not overlook tech support.

Regarding the EZYlock: Go ahead. Install it and use it. Use it enough to really get a feel for it. Use it enough for your muscle memory to remember how to mount and dismount a grinding wheel. If, at that point, it does not meet your expectations, contact support and request a replacement or return of your money.

I have four EZYlock Tormeks. All work flawlessly. I would be very surprised if yours didn't work as well.

Keep us posted.

Ken

ega

Ken S:

Thank you for your further interesting comments. I have no excuse for not seeing the support email address; I checked the FAQ then gave up too soon.

Interesting that the Amish now use electric tools (I would guess that the Tormek could be converted to hand power if anyone were so minded!)

My Tormek is "in the shop" with shaft dismantled while I await a decision from the EzyLock supplier. I have taken the opportunity to deal with some rust outbreak on the frame and replaced the motor hanger with stainless material. On the SuperGrind 2000 it is not immediately obvious how the hanger is removed to release the motor but in hindsight it is clear that with suitable support it can be driven out from the stone side.

Another, rather obvious, discovery is that minus the heavy stone the machine is much easier to manoeuvre and move around - another point in favour of being able to mount and dismount the stone quickly.

Ken S

Ah ha! You have discovered the benefits of lighter weight in mobility. (That's why I like the T4.) Being a senior citizen has been a factor in this preference.  :)

Ken

Elden

There are many groups of Amish who have their own Ordnung (governing rules). While I am not personally aware of any in good fellowship that use electricity, it may be possible. That being said, I do know that gas and diesel engines, water and wind power are used.

Compressed air (using an air motor) can easily accomplish what an electric motor can do. Variable speed is obtained simply by increasing or decreasing the flow of air. In my Foley Belsaw days, one person wrote, that made a big difference in grinding. A slow speed dry grinder is not something new to them, one simply turns the valve to slow the air flow.
Elden