News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.

www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Jigs for carving chisels.

Started by Flame, August 01, 2017, 02:32:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flame

Having just bought the T8, need some advice as to which jigs are best suited for carving chisels.   BILL.

RichColvin

Bill,

The ones I've found useful include :

• For larger gouges, the SVD-186 Gouge Jig (much better than the SVD-185 !!)

• which also requires the TTS-100 Turning Tool Setter
  • For smaller gouges, the SVS-38 Short Tool Jig (or the SVS-32, but the SVS-38 replaced the SVS-32.  Also, the SVS-38 is wider :  38 vs 32 mm)

The LA-120 Profiled Honing Wheel is a useful item also.

I've cataloged how I sharpen these on my site, www.SharpeningHandbook.info.  Good luck, and please do let us know if you experience any issues.  Loads of experience and helpful advice on this forum.

Kind regards,
Rich
---------------------------
Rich Colvin
www.SharpeningHandbook.info - a reference guide for sharpening

You are born weak & frail, and you die weak & frail.  What you do between those is up to you.

Ken S

Bill,

I would second Rich's advice. I would add that the new jig designs are improved. The SVD-186 gouge jig is the most notably improved jig, however, using machined zinc for the other jigs is a step forward, also. You will use these jigs for many years; do yourself the favor of starting with "the latest and greatest". You won't regret it. As always, be aware of the list price, and don't get ripped off under the guise of "free" shipping.

I think the Tormek philosophy of using jigs for precise duplication of edges with a minimal amount of metal removed is well suited to carving tools. Unfortunately, carving is one of the least covered areas in Tormek videos. (unlike turning, where there is extensive video training). Study the handbook. Carving is also, regretably, one of the weak area with this forum. We need active carvers to make the carving part of the forum more vibrant.

Be sure to study my posted kenjig instructions. The concept of repeatable set up could definitely make carving sharpening easier. Be sure to study the Tormek jig videos and Tormek friends videos.

Keep posting!

Ken