News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.

www.tormek.com

Main Menu

A decent/simple CAD (CADD) program?

Started by cbwx34, May 06, 2018, 01:30:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cbwx34

Quote from: RickKrung on May 07, 2018, 03:14:42 PM
That really is the same as on a PC.  You use a mouse to select draw functions and select locations on the drawing, using snap features, etc., as CB says.  Zoom features really help with precision location of points and intersections, etc. 

Will the iOS CAD programs you are looking at export to file formats compatible with more traditional CAD programs, such as DWG or DXF, or possibly DWF? 

Rick

The iOS "Save" menu shows it will export a DXF file.  The desktop menu show DXF or DWG options.  (Don't see DWF).

(It also saves as a JPEG or PDF file).
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform. New url!
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

cbwx34

So, after trying a few out, I decided to go with the RealCadd / iPocketDraw combo.

Runner up... the LibreOffice package (which is different than the LibreCAD I found before that had bad reviews)... and I think it might have worked OK... but the RealCadd was a bit more precise, (more of an actual CAD program that I'm used to anyway)... so in the long run I think it'll work out better.  Plus I like being able to do some of the work on an iPad.  Both run on my old Windows computer, so that was a plus.

Anyway, thanks for the input!   Helped me think it thru, and try a few out.

cbwx34

RickKrung

Quote from: cbwx34 on May 11, 2018, 02:40:06 PM
Let the fun begin...

...  8) 8) 8)

CB,

Congratulations.  I have sent you a couple DXF format drawings of my progress on the SVM-45 knife jig.  I hope they may be of use to you. 

I am happy to share with others, if anyone is interested. 

Rick
Quality is like buying oats.  If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes at a lower price.

banewf

To my knowledge Sketchup is not supported on the iPad Pro platform. There are tons of people asking for it (including me) but so far ... nada. The system certainly has the power – not sure what the impediment is.

Does anyone have any idea?

cbwx34

Quote from: banewf on May 13, 2018, 06:16:58 AM
To my knowledge Sketchup is not supported on the iPad Pro platform. There are tons of people asking for it (including me) but so far ... nada. The system certainly has the power – not sure what the impediment is.

Does anyone have any idea?

If you're asking, "any idea" why it's not on the iPad?  No.  :-\

I looked at Sketchup... the free version is web based... can you use it on the iPad?  It worked on my Chromebook... and has potential (there's already some Pre-drawn Tormeks in their library)...  but I would get a bit "lost" in the 3-D setup.   :o  :o

Ken S

CB,

On your duggestion, I loaded the Real Cadd/ipocket program on my ipad. I am looking forward to using it. (learning it).

Thanks,

Ken

cbwx34

Quote from: Ken S on May 14, 2018, 12:14:10 AM
CB,

On your duggestion, I loaded the Real Cadd/ipocket program on my ipad. I am looking forward to using it. (learning it).

Thanks,

Ken

Oh boy....  ::)   ;D

(I have to add... practice drawing a chisel haha).  ;)

Ken S