News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.

www.tormek.com

Main Menu

SVS-50 Multi Jig

Started by RichColvin, July 27, 2017, 01:05:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RichColvin

I use the SVS-50 Multi Jig often, and have come to two conclusions.

Firstly, it is too time consuming to have to switch between the open seat and the closed seat.  So, I went on Advanced Machinery's web site and ordered the parts so I would have two SVS-50 Multi Jigs :  on setup for the open seat, and the other for the closed seat.

The parts I ordered are :

• 2200 Housing (1)
  • 7090 Locking Screw (1)
  • 5240 Washer (1)
  • 1050 Threaded Insert (2, though could probably use only 1)

Once I get the parts, I will post some pictures.

Secondly, I think this jig needs a collar.  I came to that conclusion when using one of the KVM knife jigs with a collar.  The collar was really great to reduce the movement of the jig to the direction where movement should happen, and preventing movement in the wrong direction.

So I've designed the one I show below.  I'm interested in feedback before I go make the parts :

I just realized that I didn't label the black screw going thru the middle.  That will be a hex head, socket cap screw.

The collar would be used to hold the tool tight agains the Universal Support Bar.  My initial thinking is to use this when using the SVS-50 with the open seat.

The idea is that part C moves up and down, but in use, it secures the tool against the bottom of the ring (part A).  This seems more useful than using a long screw to hold the tool there, and this keeps the outer ring round with no projections.  That part seems like it would be useful when rotating the tool that is to be sharpened.

As for size, I was thinking of making part A to be around 2 1/4 to 2 1/2 inches (50mm +/-) in diameter.

I'm interested in thoughts and comments ...

Kind regards,
Rich
---------------------------
Rich Colvin
www.SharpeningHandbook.info - a reference guide for sharpening

You are born weak & frail, and you die weak & frail.  What you do between those is up to you.

Ken S

Clever idea, Rich. Good thinking. I will post comments later.

Ken

RichColvin

Well, the SVS-50 parts came in today.  The picture below shows what I was trying to say :

• On the left is the original SVS-50 that I already had.  It is setup to use the open seat.
  • On the right is the new body.  It is setup with the closed seat that came with my original SVS-50.  (Just putting the closed seat into the new body reminded me that this is a good decision.  I had to flip the seat around 6 or 7 times until I finally figured out how it fits into the body.)
One note :  the parts numbered 1050 (threaded insert) are not needed.  The part numbered 2200 already comes with the inserts.

Overall, this approach will save me time, and it cost me half what it would have cost to buy a new SVS-50.  AND, I am staying with the proven technology of the Tormek jigs !!

Kind regards,
Rich
Rich Colvin

You are born weak & frail, and you die weak & frail.  What you do between those is up to you.

Ken S

Rich,

I like your innovative approach to having separate jigs. I too, fumbled with changing the seats. It works, it just doesn't flow naturally, at least for me. If I was an active turner, I would follow your lead.

I think your redesign has promise. Being a fellow tinkerer, I have become aware that home shop users like you and me do not have some of the constraints the Tormek engineers and marketing people have. We do not have to appeal to a large purchasing audience. We do not have to comply with multiple standard organizations, whether the regulations make sense or not. We do not have to double up jigs, like the SVS-50, believing the purchasing public will not tolerate having to purchase too many jigs. Jigs could be individually tailored to different size tools, but what marketing person would want to convince the public to purchase nine knife jigs?

We can make things, like my kenjigs, which do not look flashy. It works very well and accurately, however it looks like just a piece of Baltic birch plywood, which is what it really is. A company like Tormek must sell the sizzle; we just want the steak.

We do not need to be overly concerned with price points. In your case, a good sandwich and a beer with your family machinist will probably cover your cost. I might have one off machining costs with a local machine shop, however, I can choose to do that based entirely on my wishes and not be worried about the purchasing public.

We do not have to worry about being sued. My small knife platform, using the platform jig, does not work as well as Herman's scissors jig model. If I copy Herman's design, I believe he would be pleased. I certainly do not expect to receive a nasty letter from his lawyer. If I make more sophisticated versions of the kenjig, as suggested by Jan, Wootz and others on the forum, I do not expect any negative feedback. The unfortunate Tormek team must constantly be aware of this posdibility. This is why I do not believe Tormek will ever profuce forum based ideas. Too bad, it's just our business world.

I think homegrown forum ideas can be very beneficial. Given the constraints, I also think the Tormek team has done some outstanding work. I look forward to continuing innovations from both branches of the Tormek family.

Ken

RichColvin

I completed the collar, trying two separate approaches. 

The first one I made I call a "D" collar (on the left in the picture below).  It is made from a steel pipe with a 2 inch internal diameter.  I sawed it into two pieces and welded a flat piece to the top.  (Probably good that I'm in IT and not a professional welder ...)

I didn't like the quality of the first one, so I made another other one that I call an "O" collar (on the right in the picture below).  It was made from a 3 inch bar stock of aluminum, and was turned on the metal lathe.

The "D" collar is about 1/2 inch wide, and works pretty well.  I did notice that it would rotate on the tool somewhat, so that is what I made the "O" collar.

The "O" collar is about 1 inch wide, and works well in terms of not rotating on the shaft. However, it is too big when the projection is only 55 mm.  So, I guess I will have to work with both, using one or the other depending on which works better.

I'm not happy with the quality of the "D" collar :  it works, but I will probably end up making another.
Rich Colvin

Kavik

Very interesting concept, sort of a hybrid of the svs-50 and the svs-32

2 thoughts, if you don't mind some input:
1) it looks like your screw is off centered on the D collar, as well as slightly angled. That could be causing the twist.  For your next attempt, maybe it'd be easier to drill that hole before attaching to the half circle?
2) I think the most ideal solution would be to have the collar attached to the jig, rather than the tool. Then there's no need to set up the spacing and fiddle with 2 separate bolts every time. I could see this with that same D shape attached to the jig with just a flat plate across the top of the two..... Of course, then you're dealing with joining zinc and aluminum, but i see no reason you couldn't drill and tap instead of weld for that part

Just some thoughts to consider, but this idea in general is really cool. Two thumbs up for your innovation ;)

Ken S

Interesting jig, Rich. Well done.

Ken

RichColvin

Quote from: Kavik on August 07, 2017, 02:33:16 AM
Very interesting concept, sort of a hybrid of the svs-50 and the svs-32

2 thoughts, if you don't mind some input:
1) it looks like your screw is off centered on the D collar, as well as slightly angled. That could be causing the twist.  For your next attempt, maybe it'd be easier to drill that hole before attaching to the half circle?
2) I think the most ideal solution would be to have the collar attached to the jig, rather than the tool. Then there's no need to set up the spacing and fiddle with 2 separate bolts every time. I could see this with that same D shape attached to the jig with just a flat plate across the top of the two..... Of course, then you're dealing with joining zinc and aluminum, but i see no reason you couldn't drill and tap instead of weld for that part

Just some thoughts to consider, but this idea in general is really cool. Two thumbs up for your innovation ;)

This is based on the knife jig collar described by Wootz in this posting => https://forum.tormek.com/index.php?topic=3050.msg16671#msg16671.

As for the machining (#1), well, I think I will end up making another one on the lathe, similar to the "O" collar I made.

As for the collar attaching to the SVS-50 Jig (#2), I don't think that would work as the tool has to rotate 180 degrees to sharpen all the sides.   To attach it to the jig would make this hard, or the attachment may be too weak.  Don't know for sure, but it is an interesting idea.

Rich
Rich Colvin

Kavik

If attaching to the jig is something you do decide to try, I think just connecting with narrower strips that don't go all the way to the end would solve the rotation issue. If you look on your svs-32/38 you'll see how it only connects in the center around the bolt and didn't go to the sides

Again, just a thought, may not be practical