News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

"Laser Guided" Sharpening...

Started by cbwx34, July 25, 2017, 09:05:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cbwx34

So, while I continue with the "Quick & Easy" Jig setup, :)  I thought I'd share a method that I've had better luck with. 

A few years back, I came up with a "laser guided" setup for a set of paper sharpening wheels, that worked well.  I tried it on the Tormek, and while initially it didn't work so well, once I figured out to mark the wheel and use that to set the guide, it came together.  Here's an older picture...

So, I thought it cool to see that some in this forum had come up something similar, for example Jan in this thread...

https://forum.tormek.com/index.php?topic=2562.45

... who came up with a pretty elaborate setup...

... (certainly more elaborate than mine).  :o

So, if you're not familiar, basically you set the angle by setting the laser line to the matching angle on the wheel, then holding the blade level, (held freehand in my case, it appears Jan uses a platform on his)... you sharpen at that specific point on the wheel, which sets the bevel (or grinding) angle.

You get a pretty accurate way of sharpening at a specific angle, and is way more accurate (for me anyway) than trying to "best guess" a spot on the stone, or pick a reference point (for example a point on the case)... especially for repeated passes.  (This never worked well for me).

The angles are marked on the wheel from the top in 5˚ or 10˚ increments (your choice).  (Every .436in. or 10.90mm is 5˚ on a 250mm or 10in. stone, if my math is right).

I might eventually come up with a better bracket, but this is quick and easy, and works well, with items I had around the house, or easy to get at the local hardware store (although I may shorten the clamp a bit to get it out of the way).

(BTW, while the laser goes across both wheels, it would have to be reset on the leather wheel if needed... the angles don't correspond).

Definitely a quick and easy way to establish a specific angle, and with a bit of practice is pretty precise. (And no jigs/clamps to fuss with).

Chopstick bonus:  In addition to using it as a reference to set the wheel, (described earlier here)..

https://forum.tormek.com/index.php?topic=3323.0

... if you take two chopsticks and stick them in the stone's pivot hole, it makes it easy to line up and mark the stone from the angle marks measured earlier, (at every 5˚ or 10˚), to the center of the hole.  :)

8)
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform. New url!
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

Jan

Congrats cbwx, it seems you have come up with the laser guided setup as first. My flat platform with laser pointer is only some two years old.  :)

Jan

cbwx34

Quote from: Jan on July 25, 2017, 09:37:38 PM
Congrats cbwx, it seems you have come up with the laser guided setup as first. My flat platform with laser pointer is only some two years old.  :)

Jan

Congrats to you... yours is certainly better planned and implemented than what I cobbled together.  Inspiring for sure.

cbwx34

Well heck, this was simpler than the clamp...   ::)

... and shows better on the stone.  I also partially covered the laser lens with tape, so it only shines on the stone, and not across the housing. Less distracting. There's also a "drill stop collar" on the support where it goes into the housing... between that and tightening the knob, it stays steady.  (Forgot to point it out before).

(BTW the laser is a Black & Decker BDL220s I got at the local hardware store... it has a magnet in the base.  Just checked... still around after all these years!)  :)

Jan

Good and simple prototype for freehand sharpening. Thanks for sharing.  :)

Jan

Herman Trivilino

Quote from: cbwx34 on July 25, 2017, 09:05:26 PMThe angles are marked on the wheel from the top in 5˚ or 10˚ increments (your choice).  (Every .436in. or 10.90mm is 5˚ on a 250mm or 10in. stone, if my math is right).

Close enough. I'm getting about 10.91 mm or 0.429 in.

What are you using for a laser?
Origin: Big Bang

cbwx34

Quote from: Herman Trivilino on July 31, 2017, 05:28:22 AM
Quote from: cbwx34 on July 25, 2017, 09:05:26 PMThe angles are marked on the wheel from the top in 5˚ or 10˚ increments (your choice).  (Every .436in. or 10.90mm is 5˚ on a 250mm or 10in. stone, if my math is right).

Close enough. I'm getting about 10.91 mm or 0.429 in.

What are you using for a laser?

Thanks for checking my math.  (You're right, I used 10" instead of the correct 9.84" of a 250mm stone).  :)

The laser is a Black & Decker BDL220S.

cbwx34

Added a simple piece of flat steel, to better hold the laser...

... makes it a bit more stable and versatile.  (Just drilled a couple of 1/2" holes and used the adjusting screw and a "stop collar" to hold it on).

(Still not as cool as Jan's though).   :-[