News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Lasers & the Tormek

Started by RichColvin, August 10, 2017, 03:24:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RichColvin

I'm interested in understanding more about how lasers get used in sharpening on the Tormek.

• what type of laser do you use ?

• where did you buy it ?
    • how much did it cost ?
  • how do you mount it for use ?

• is it attached to the Tormek, or to the bench ?
Pictures would be great !

Kind regards,
Rich
---------------------------
Rich Colvin
www.SharpeningHandbook.info - a reference guide for sharpening

You are born weak & frail, and you die weak & frail.  What you do between those is up to you.

cbwx34

Quote from: RichColvin on August 10, 2017, 03:24:45 AM
I'm interested in understanding more about how lasers get used in sharpening on the Tormek.

• what type of laser do you use ?

• where did you buy it ?
    • how much did it cost ?
  • how do you mount it for use ?

• is it attached to the Tormek, or to the bench ?
Pictures would be great !

Kind regards,
Rich

The laser I'm using, and a few pictures are in  this thread...

https://forum.tormek.com/index.php?topic=3329.0

... it has a magnet in the base, and I just stuck it on the side of the USB, as seen in the pictures later in that thread.  (That particular USB is flat on one side, so it stuck there no problem).

Here's a link to the laser I use on Amazon...

https://www.amazon.com/Black-Decker-BDL220S-Laser-Level/dp/B000B8GBBS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1502330179&sr=8-1&keywords=bdl220s

I've attached another picture which shows how I use it.  (In this picture I had the laser attached to a clamp, before I figured out I could just stick it on the USB).  Basically, the laser establishes a line on the stone, that I match up to the angles I have (pre)marked on the side of the stone.  Then when I turn the stone on, I hold the knife level and use the laser line to sharpen at the angle I have it set at.

Hope that helps?
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform. New url!
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

Jan

Rich, my homemade laser unit consists of focusable line laser module, 3V battery and a small switch in an Al housing. The laser unit is attached to a bent threaded rod M12, which fits in the USB sleeve. It can be used for both grinding directions.

To fix the laser unit firmly on the rod, while keeping many degrees of its freedom, I use an earth cable clamp.

The laser module is really inexpensive. https://www.amazon.com/Focusable-650nm-Module-driver-Plastic/dp/B012V3U3KK
You only connect a 3 volts battery, no current control needed, all the "smarts" are in the laser module.

Currently I use the same laser unit in my laser goniometer.

Jan