News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.

www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Good find!

Started by grepper, June 01, 2017, 06:41:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grepper

I recently ran out of knives for testing and started having to use my regular knives.  So I went to my local thrift store and picked up a bunch of knives for a total of $6.83.

That little paring knife is currently available for $39.95:
https://www.jbprince.com/wusthof-german-cutlery/paring-knife-35-inch-Grand-Prix.asp

It's in excellent condition, it was just dull. Obviously it is no longer dull and is reborn and back into use in my kitchen.  :)

Gotta love thrift stores!

Ken S

Nice sleuthing, Grepper. :)

Ken

SharpenADullWitt

I have said before that is a good way to get started.  I talked to one person I know and they told me about a thrift store that I haven't made it to (out of my way) that knives tend to sell for $.25 each.
Favorite line, from a post here:
Quote from: Rob on February 24, 2013, 06:11:44 PM
8)

Yeah you know Tormek have reached sharpening nirvana when you get a prosthetic hand as part of the standard package :/)

grepper

The one I go to used to be $0.25 too, but in the last year or so it appears they have raised their prices!  :'(  Now small knives are $0.99 and larger ones are $1.99.  How dare they!!!

Ken S

My grocery store santokus have changed my thinking about bargain knives. If you sharpen knives for other people, not all the world uses Henckels. Practice is good.

Ken

grepper

Inexpensive $10.00 grocery store knives and even ones costing less can be a surprisingly good value!  One of the ones I got in that batch of knives for $6.83 was
https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/product/cuisinart-reg-classic-triple-rivet-5-inch-santoku-knife/1016093564

You know, it's really not a bad little knife.  A little light weight, but well built with a great rounded handle that is very comfortable to hold.  And, it takes a very sharp edge.  110g on a PT50B sharpness tester.

I don't know how great the steel is or how good the edge retention is, but for $9.99 who cares?  I'd actually recommend it for someone who wants a very usable, low cost Santoku knife.  I think its a deal.

Ken S

My identical knife is still in the packaging, however, I also have two of the same knives in the next longer size. One is as issued double beveled; one I resharpened to single bevel for my left handed use. Both work very well. I would add a chef's knife with a more curved edge for rocking cuts. As much as I like my vintage Henckels, these would be my choice if I was starting today.

Ken

SharpenADullWitt

Now you know why I have talked about inexpensive restaurant knives.
Thrift store knives are usually ones that are not NSF certified.  The handles have scales and rivets where NSF knives now are completely encapsulated.
And there is quite a price range from Dexter Russell (made in the USA) to imports Such as Update International.  (Amazon is fairly inexpensive, but some of the restaurant supply houses beat that, as long as you have access)
Granted I won't wear them out the way that restaurants do, but there aren't many knives home cooks actually need.
Favorite line, from a post here:
Quote from: Rob on February 24, 2013, 06:11:44 PM
8)

Yeah you know Tormek have reached sharpening nirvana when you get a prosthetic hand as part of the standard package :/)

Ken S

Interesting post, SADW.

Ken