News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

extending the universal support

Started by bisonbladesharpening, May 31, 2017, 10:45:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bisonbladesharpening

I could really benefit by having an extension to the support arm that would add an extra 3 or 4 inches.
I sharpen some longer slicing knives and run out of room.  There is already an inside thread on the arm
to accommodate the end stop for the straight edge jig.  All I would need is  a straight tube of the same diameter
threaded to fit in the end of the arm.  Appreciate any feedback
Tim

Ken S

I realize this is not exactly what you are looking for, however, it will accomplish what you want at a lower cost and more reliably than having an entension custom machined. I can tell you, as can Robin, from personal experience, that you do not require a threaded universal support bar to sharpen long knives. You do require a longer bar.

Ken

https://www.sharpening-service.co.uk/onlineshop/prod_4360851-Tormek-Extended-Universal-Support-Bar.html

jeffs55

That is taller, not longer. He has a long blade not a taller blade. He is running out of rod support before he gets to the tip of the knife.
You can use less of more but you cannot make more of less.

bisonbladesharpening

Thanks Ken.  That looks like it will solve 2 problems
as I currently do cleavers freehand.  I'll see if Affinity
can get one in the US

Ken S

Jeff,

I just measured the extended support It is three inches longer and four inches higher than the standard universal support bar. I have found it a very useful adjunct to the standard usb. The standard threaded bar is the ideal, hands down choice for truing the wheel with the TT-50. For most knives, I use the simple kenjig technique, which makes the microadjust unnecessary.

In addition to higher and longer, Robin's extended support is long enough to reach over the top of the Tormek in horizontal position. This allows the horizontal position to be reversed from an edge trailing to an incoming direction, much like conventional dry grinding. A couple caveats with this technique: This only works dry, as with using a CBN wheel. Do not use this with conventional Tormek wheels wet and certainly not dry. also, the reach is more useful with the smaller T4. This is not a Tormek recommended technique, just one I like.

Living the US, you will have to bite the bullet and pay international postage from the UK. The absolutely ideal way to purchase one would be to attend one of Robin's classes in the UK and bring it back with you. Postage is not as fun, however, I do not regret the cost. Robin has devised a useful, well made tool. As it is not a Tormek product, Affinity Tool does not carry it.

Ken

SharpenADullWitt

I bought one as well.
I should add this was NOT PRODUCED by Tormek, but Rob posted about it here, to get interest, as he placed a custom order.  That is why you won't find it at Affinity.
I think that might help clear up things.
Favorite line, from a post here:
Quote from: Rob on February 24, 2013, 06:11:44 PM
8)

Yeah you know Tormek have reached sharpening nirvana when you get a prosthetic hand as part of the standard package :/)

Ken S

SADW,

I am pleased you purchased one of Robin's extended supports. I like the idea of supporting fellow forum members, especially when offered a useful product.

I should clarify something. Robin's extended support is not an official Tormek product. However, I have no problem with endorsing it. It fulfills a need which is not met by a competitive Tormek product. It is certainly not a cheap knockoff of a Tormek accessory.

Another reason I purchased mine when I did is because small run products may become very difficult to find later.

Although I have no plans to travel to the UK, if I happened to live there, I would be seriously interested in taking classes with Robin. I have been fortunate enough to receive the equivalent of Steve Bottorff's class. Steve has since retired. Good training with a master is invaluable and cannot be duplicated with forums or youtubes. Steve's DVD is an excellent substitute, however, such substitutes are rare. By all means, if posdible, get good training.

Ken

jeffs55

Quote from: Ken S on June 01, 2017, 03:11:37 PM
Jeff,

I just measured the extended support It is three inches longer and four inches higher than the standard universal support bar.

Oh, I was wrong again.
You can use less of more but you cannot make more of less.

Ken S

Jeff,

I cheated.  :)  I have one of the extended supports next to my Tormek. All I did was compare and measure. No importa who happens to be right or wrong as long as we all continue learning.

Ken

Herman Trivilino

I would suggest that Robin change the name from "Tormek Extended Universal Support" to "Extended Universal Support for Tormek ..." to make it clear that this is not a Tormek product.
Origin: Big Bang

Ken S

You make a good point, Herman. I have followed Robin and his extended support bar ever since he first posted the idea on the forum several years ago. I never detected any hint that Robin was intending to imply that his extended support bar was a Tormek made product. In fact, he has never gave it an alphanumeric designation, like KS-150 or HK-50. (I know, we never intended Tormek made implications, either.)

As much as I like Robin's extended support bar, it is not the most useful product he offers. He offers something for Tormek users which even Tormek does not offer. Robin offers a professional level two day sharpening class. Ideally, I believe a serious new user should complete a class like Robin's before purchasing a Tormek. Looking at the website, Robin's training workshop looks very complete. It also appears the class size is limited to three students. That approaches the value of having a private tutor. Having attended numerous photography workshops over the years, as well as excellent woodworking classes at the Conover Workshop in Parkman, Ohio, I can personally attest to the value of solid training. Even though he has retired, my friend, Steve Bottorff, has very generously shared the equivalent of his class with me. For those not fortunate enough to have studied with Steve, his Sharpening School DVD captures the class quite well. I continue to learn from it.

If my schedule permitted a trip to the UK, my trip would definitely include the two days at Robin's class. I am not a beginner with the Tormek, however, I always thirst for more knowledge. I am pleased that Tormek has built a studio to expand its video production. I like the latest Tormek videos and look forward to future videos.

Stig, if you could arrange for the forum moderator to have an intensive week of training in Sweden, I would make every effort to clear my schedule for you.   :)   :)

Ken

Herman Trivilino

Quote from: Ken S on June 05, 2017, 01:42:58 PMI never detected any hint that Robin was intending to imply that his extended support bar was a Tormek made product.

I'm sure of that, too. I think it's accidental.

QuoteIn fact, he has never gave it an alphanumeric designation, like KS-150 or HK-50. (I know, we never intended Tormek made implications, either.)

Yes, but those inventors don't, and never intended to, sell.  :D

QuoteStig, if you could arrange for the forum moderator to have an intensive week of training in Sweden, I would make every effort to clear my schedule for you.   :)   :)

To be accompanied, of course, by any forum members of his choosing.   :)  :)  :)

And a side excursion to Robin's shop!
Origin: Big Bang

Ken S

Great idea, Herman. There should be room on the company Viking longboat for several of us. :)

Ken

bisonbladesharpening

These are my designs in response to my original question.  They are working prototypes
that I am using in the field.  Feel free to copy for non commercial purposes.
Both actually work very well for their specific needs.
Save me some room on that boat.
Best Wishes, Tim

Ken S