News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Honing Wheel Wobble?

Started by Komitadjie, May 21, 2017, 06:02:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Komitadjie

Probably a good point, Ken.  The new wheel arrived today, and I popped it right on.  Problem solved!  The wheel tracks dead-center now, no wobble I can detect at all with the naked eye.   8)

Thank you very much for the assistance, Stig!

Ken S

I am pleased. You did the right thing to question the wobbly wheel.  This topic has been a valuable learning experience for me as moderator and frequent poster. Tormek is outstanding in supporting its product and warranty, however, if we do not contact them, or delay in contacting them, that fine service will be delayed. From now on, my replies for similar topics will include a recommendation to immediately contact support (support@tormek.se).

Incidentally, if any of you have the opportunity to meet Stig, please do so. I have enjoyed several informal meetings with Stig. Without fail, our meetings have been enjoyable and informative. You can get a good glimpse of Stig in his online interview with Stumpy Nubs, as well as some in depth information about the Tormek. (google "stumpy nubs/tormek)

Ken

Herman Trivilino

This thread has made me wonder if I've put up with a faulty drive wheel all these 15 years. There has always been slippage during the first few minutes of use. And there is always an audible wha-wha noise at the same frequency as the machine's rotation. That is, I think the drive wheel may be out of round, with perhaps a divot or bump at one place on the edge.

The newer drive wheels are made of metal instead of plastic and perhaps the new ones are less likely to have these types of problems.
Origin: Big Bang

Ken S

Herman,

Have you tried cleaning the rubber wheel with sandpaper?

Incidentally, I think the use of zinc instead of plastic in the new drive wheel gives it a much more solid feel, however, in my opinion, the real improvement is in the new Tormek patented rubberlike compound. It grips better. The inner physicist in you might be curious to try it! :)

Ken

Herman Trivilino

Ken, yes the sandpaper helps but doesn't eliminate the problem.

My inner Yankee thrift is the only thing stopping me from buying a new drive wheel.  ;)

Ken S

Herman,

As a thrifty old Yankee, I certainly understand. If you should actually break down and purchase a new drive wheel, I promise I won't spill the beans to your family.

Ken

Herman Trivilino

The last couple of days there's been no whaa-whaa noise. I think maybe when my Tormek sits idle for days, weeks, or months the drive wheel develops a "dent" where it's been resting against the drive shaft. This dent may also explain the slippage I get when the machine has first started running. That, too, has been absent the last few days. For the last week or two I've been using the machine more than usual, so that may explain why there's not time for the dent to develop.

Is there a handy way to leave the drive wheel lifted away from the drive shaft when the machine is not being used?

Ken S

Herman, your Tormek may start to resemble the car in the Johnny Cash song about the factory worker who brings parts home in his lunchbox.   :)

The latest drive wheels are much improved. Some of the modifications are to compensate for rough shipping, however, the new Tormek patented rubber like improved gripping substance is a real step forward. A new drive wheel should fix your problem.

My inner thrifty Yankee came up with an idea. It's too early to venture down to my shop without awakening my household, so this is untested. As I recall, the weight of the motor holds the motor shaft against the drive wheel. Pre T8 Tormeks have open bottoms. A simple wooden device similar to the flat tool with a handle the drywall guys use to hold mud could prop up the motor slightly. (a hawk?)  Let the Tormek on it with the "handle" part raising the motor. If it doesn't work, just recycle the two pieces if scrap wood and screw.

Ken