News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.

www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Scandi grind - mystery revealed

Started by Jan, January 23, 2017, 05:26:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WolfY

Quote from: Thomas at MORAKNIV on February 01, 2017, 12:58:40 PM
I guess there is some cunfusion regarding the grindings and the edges and I might be able to spread som light in this issue.

Ordinary Scandi Grind ALWAYS has a smal secondary bevel.

One more thing to keep in mind that often causes missunderstandings: Primary grinding = secondary bevel and secondary grinding = primary edge.
/Thomas at MORAKNIV

Now I got confused  :P . Sorry. :-[

If Scandi grind has always small secondary bevel (micro bevel) that must be the primary edge=secondary grinding and not secondary bevel. Right?
Giving an advice is easy.
Accepting an advice is good.
Knowing which advice is worth adopting and which not, is a virtue.

Jan

Wolfy, you can find it on the web also. Knife terminology is the Tower of Babel (אֶת-הָעִיר וְאֶת-הַמִּגְדָּל‎). Babel is the Hebrew name for Babylon and according to the Bible, the city received the name "Babel" from the Hebrew word balal, meaning to confuse.  :-\

Jan

WolfY

Quote from: Jan on February 04, 2017, 10:00:14 AM
Wolfy, you can find it on the web also. Knife terminology is the Tower of Babel (אֶת-הָעִיר וְאֶת-הַמִּגְדָּל‎). Babel is the Hebrew name for Babylon and according to the Bible, the city received the name "Babel" from the Hebrew word balal, meaning to confuse.  :-\

Jan

So Babel is the biblical word for Bevel?  ;) Big like to the new added interpretation to the word  ;D

Jan, Hebrew is my second native language  :P

According to the biblical story God didn't like the fact that the ppl in a town named Bab-ili (gate to God) in Mesopotamia (Today's Irak) has built a tall tower to reach God. To make it difficult to them God gave them different languages so they will not be able to communicate and finish the tower that could reach to him and spread them around the world. Etc, etc... Nice story to explain the many different languages.
The dictionary Babylon (the town named in the Tora) came from same word too.

Maybe Bla, bla, bla is also inspired from Babel :)

The confusion I was referring to is Tomas statement "Ordinary Scandi Grind ALWAYS has a smal secondary bevel"
I think he meant Secondary grind. E.g primary bevel.
The Secondary Bevel is long and characterize the long Scandi grind with very small primary bevel/ edge.

Giving an advice is easy.
Accepting an advice is good.
Knowing which advice is worth adopting and which not, is a virtue.

Jan

Wolfy, one of our previous pontiffs said, we are the younger brothers of the Jewish people and I share this view.  ;)

For me knife nomenclature is typical example of the confusion of tongues. Which is the "primary" and which is the "secondary" bevel on a knife blade?

John Juranitch (US) refers to the smaller, final cutting edge as the primary edge, and the relief bevel as the secondary edge. Similarly Jay Fischer (US) recommends the terms cutting edge face (or primary face) and edge relief face (secondary face).

On the other hand exactly opposite definition is used on the UK blade forum. Also Tormek uses the term secondary bevel for a microbevel for the cutting edge.

On the UK blade forum there is a following statement "I find myself thinking more and more in terms of "relief" bevel(s), and final cutting edge "microbevel," for sake of clarity".  :)

Using this unique terminology the first grinding creates the relief bevel while the secondary grinding creates the microbevel.

Jan