News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.

www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Japanese Knives

Started by That Sharpening Guy, July 12, 2014, 04:40:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken S

WolfY,

I enjoyed your video. Listening to it reminded me of being in one of my favorite places, which just happens to be a Tormek dealer. Keim Lumber is located in Charm, Ohio. Charm is a very small Amish village. Over a century in business, Keim Lumber has grown from a sawmill to a very large hardware and lumber store. One could easily purchase $20,000 worth of woodworking machinery or be just as comfortable purchasing a $.49 pack of sewing pins. In addition to speaking English, the store staff and many of the customers speak the Amish dialect of German. I enjoy eavesdropping. My German has deteriorated over the years. I don't understand most of the conversation. I just enjoy listening to other languages being spoken.

I did not realize that "waterstone" and "Tormek" were Hebrew words; I thought they were Amish, as is "router bit". :)

Jan, in the US, we have an expression, "Yankee thrift". In this case, Yankee refers to people from New England, the northeastern region of the country. My maternal side were all New Englanders. Over the years, I have come to realize that their thrift was more about use than saving money. They are often very generous, but like to see an object worn out through use than just discarded. Like you, I value that.

Ken

RichColvin

Jan,

I inherited a number of tools from my father when he passed on.  He took Yankee thrift to the limit !

In a back part of one toolbox are two old knives that my father sharpened away but never threw away.  I've a picture below of two that got relegated to marking knives (I guess).

[/URL]

Kind regards,
Rich
---------------------------
Rich Colvin
www.SharpeningHandbook.info - a reference guide for sharpening

You are born weak & frail, and you die weak & frail.  What you do between those is up to you.

Ken S

Rich,

Your father was a true Yankee!

Ken

Jan

Ken and Rich I have appreciated your perfectly documented explanation of "Yankee thrift".  :)

I know a saying which become popular in US during the WWII: "Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without" which applies to me. I am not sure who is the author, may be the pre-war US president Calvin Coolidge who was New Englander.

Rich, in this country the marking knives are sharpened only on one side because the other is following a ruler edge.  ;)

As a true Yankee I have to add that the smaller knife shown above can serve well as a penknife to cut a nib of a quill pen. Traditionally the feather is taken from goose left wing!  :D

Jan

WolfY

Quote from: Ken S on January 12, 2017, 11:44:51 AM
WolfY,

I did not realize that "waterstone" and "Tormek" were Hebrew words; I thought they were Amish, as is "router bit". :)

Ken, glad you enjoyed the VDO and got some nice memo's out of it too.
"waterstone" and other words you recognise btw the Hebrew are typically foreign words mixed in the daily spoken language as it is easier and more natural to describe with them what you are trying to say. There are Hebrew words for almost everything but don't sit right when used. Add to that that the guys Hebrew is quite poor although he he has been in Israel over 20 years. His mother language is Russian, so parts of his presentation in the VDO was quit funny language wise. :)
Giving an advice is easy.
Accepting an advice is good.
Knowing which advice is worth adopting and which not, is a virtue.