News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

tormek T2

Started by bobl, November 19, 2016, 12:23:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bobl

hi guys, any new info on the T2 knife sharpener by our great people at Tormek???

SharpenADullWitt

Send your question and your country to  Tormek to see if it is or will be available in your country.  It isn't, here. :(
Favorite line, from a post here:
Quote from: Rob on February 24, 2013, 06:11:44 PM
8)

Yeah you know Tormek have reached sharpening nirvana when you get a prosthetic hand as part of the standard package :/)

grepper

I found a place in France selling T2's.  Considering Tormek is selling it, I'm surprised there is so little info available.
http://www.couteaux-services.com/pro-kitchen-knife-sharpener-tormek-t2.htm

They are not inexpensive: 875.00 €, currently $926.00 U.S.

Interesting specs:

200 mm diamond wheel:  I wish the grit level was specified.  Considering it is dry grinding, diamond is a good choice due to precision and excellent thermal conductivity.  Here is a nifty chart comparing thermal conductivity of various materials:
http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/thermal-conductivity-d_429.html
I bet the surface is nice and flat.  :)

Duty cycle: 30 min/hr.

Quick sharpening to remove only the minimum of steel on the blade:  Why?  Because you are not supposed to spend a lot of time at it, or because it is a fine grit or both? 

I know!  What would happen if you stuck a CBN wheel on the thing!?

Here is another interesting article on CBN wheels:
http://www.robohippy.net/featured-article/

Ken S

As I recall, the grit of the standard diamond wheel on the T2 is 600, with an optional wheel of 325 grit.

Unfortunately, the otherwise comprehensive heat dispersal chart does not list CBN.

Bob, I think the T2 should really be compared with the T4. They share the same wheel diameter, motor, and almost the same housing. I also think we should consider the target market end user for the T2. Since you already own a T7, you should also compare the T2 and the T7.

My question is if we examine two identical, freshly sharpened knives (for this example, let's assume both were sharpened by you, an experienced sharpener); is either knife sharper? and are the sharpening times comparable?

The idea of having a grinding wheel which never needs to be trued and does not change in diameter is indeed tempting. It has the same marketing ring as knives which "never need sharpening". However, should such a wheel ever develop a saddle, like Wootz' CBN wheel, retruing it may not be an option. While the humble Tormek wheels do need occasional or frequent retruing, it is a quick and easy operation.

The idea of not having to bother with water is appealing. However, this also is a double edged sword. According to Magnus, who has used a T2, while the magnet may catch most of the metal grinding dust, it does not catch all of it. I have never seen any grinding debris with my Tormek outside the water trough. While the diamond (or CBN) wheels do conduct heat much better than conventional grinding wheels, I doubt they cut as cooley as a wet grinder.

My wooden knife block has a slot for a pair of kitchen scissors. When your customer requests that you sharpen his scissors, I do not think the T2 will handle this request. I don't know if the T2 can handle cleavers or unusual edges such as birdseye paring knives.

I am far from being a knife expert. I remember reading about one brand of very expensive knives which require a diamond wheel to sharpen efficiently. I do not think you will find these knives in most restaurants. The question is would a diamond wheel work any more efficiently with the knives you encounter than an SG, SB, or CBN?

I do not pretend to know the answers. I look forward to reading other members' thoughts.

Do keep us posted, Bob.

Ken

Elden

Quote from: grepper on November 19, 2016, 08:14:17 AM
Here is another interesting article on CBN wheels:
http://www.robohippy.net/featured-article/

Very interesting article, thanks for posting it, Mark (grepper). That answers part of my quandaries.
Elden

bobl

hi Ken,
Sorry its been a while to get back to you and the forum.
What i like about the T2 basically is the set 30 degree angle, thereabouts, and no need for a water bath. I love the current blue and black stone for the t7. why cant they incorporate the T2 with a True hone ceramic type wheel.
What do you think?

Ken S

Bob,

I noticed this in the link posted by Grepper:

Casting: Top trimmed in zinc, plastic ABS shock resistant
Engine: Industrial single-phase, 120 W (input) 230 V, 50 Hz or 115 V, 60 Hz.
Duty cycle: 30 min per hour.
No maintenance.
Quiet operation, 54 dB.
Expected life: 10,000 hours.

What struck me was the engine description, being available with either 230 Volt/50 Hz OR 115 Volt/60Hz. If that is not a misprint, that would mean that the T2, like the T4, is available for both European and North American power. That is significant.

Have you contacted Tormek support in Sweden about this? If so, what does support say? (If not, why not?)

A few thoughts on the T2/T4: (I have a T4, so this is based on actual use, not conjecture.) The T4 is surprisingly like the T7, and more like the T8 (because of the zinc housing). They all use the same jigs and accessories. Even the handbooks are the same. The main shafts are the same 12 mm with the same threads. The T4 shaft is shorter, due to the 40mm grinding wheel width.

With the addition of a 10mm spacer washer (a standard Tormek part), the 200mm wheels of the T4 work very well on the T7. Because of their smaller size, they weigh less. This means less starting drag on the motor, which might be significant with an invertor. They, including CBN wheels, also cost less. Any wheel which fits on the T4 should fit on the T2. ( link to Magnus' post:)

http://forum.tormek.com/index.php?topic=2064.msg15772#msg15772

I would not be concerned about the "50 percent duty" with the motor. That is a left over from the all plastic housing of the old T3. It was a heat issue, not a motor issue. The redesigned zinc housing dispersed heat and corrected the problem. You will need a rest long before the Tormek does. I would also not be concerned about the ten thousand hour expected life unless you happen to be an android.

If you use a turkey baster, described in munerous posts, using water should not be a problem. Just use the baster to empty the trough before driving between locations. It is easy, quick and clean.

Have you contacted Brimarc, the U.K. Tormek importer? Even if the T2 is not being imported into the U.K. yet, you should be able to purchase one in Sweden or France. If the electrical plug is different, surely you can just purchase an adaptor plug locally.

Keep us posted, and please post what you learn from support and Brimarc.

Ken

bobl

No joy from Brimark Ken.

Ken S

I did not know that the T2 is not distributed by Brimark. See Stig's recent post for the distributor.

Ken

bobl

thanks Ken.
I am getting a bit tired, but before I turn in, can you please confirm to me via my email address about the best place to get a C.B.N. wheel for my Tormek T7.
Cheers.

Ken S

Bob,

I am only familiar  with dealers in the US. Considering shipping costs, I think your best bet is to find a UK dealer.

Ken

SharpenADullWitt

Maybe this is crossing a pond, but you might have better luck hitting up some UK specific forum and seeing if anyone there has put one on their machine (and from where they bought it).
I first read about these wheels on other forums, and from what I have seen/read, it seems they are happy enough with them, we tend not to see them here.
Favorite line, from a post here:
Quote from: Rob on February 24, 2013, 06:11:44 PM
8)

Yeah you know Tormek have reached sharpening nirvana when you get a prosthetic hand as part of the standard package :/)

Ken S

I am blessed (by dumb luck) to live in a state with three unique and outstanding Tormek dealers in addition to several larger franchise dealers. Except for a very few ebay items and the extended support bar purchased from Robin Bailey in the UK, my Tormek purchases are "shipped" in my personal vehicle.

I hope members with more international purchasing experience will post. I certainly have no reluctance to purchase items from other countries; I just have not needed to do so.

The extended support bar I purchased from Robin cost almost as much in postage as for the product. I don't have a problem with that; Robin has a unique product. We happen to live on opposite sides of the pond. Unlike some of the online dealers, Robin's shipping cost was just the cost of doing business.

My recommendation to Bob to try to locate a UK dealer is to moderate his shipping cost. UK members, who do you recommend? If we start getting deeply into individual budinesses, this might be done more diplomatically through forum PMs.

Ken

bobl

thanks.
I have checked out the french site now.
Thanks all for the comments.

Ken S