News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Straight gouge -- which jig

Started by mdelgado, November 10, 2016, 05:00:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mdelgado

I am sharpening a #3 35mm straight gouge using the multi jig.  I have inadvertently rounded over an edge?  How can I restore a straight crisp corner to the edge?  Am I using the correct jig?  Thx.

Stickan

Hi,
You are using the correct jig but need some advice about how to sharpen the tool.
Please read and follow the instructions from page 108.

http://tormek.com/media/448604/hb-10-en-v103-svs-50.pdf

//Stig

mdelgado

Went back and carefully followed the instructions for the jig.  Paid very close attention to the "line of light" -- it's really just the edge that I blunted.  Ground the tool paying close attention to that edge.  When it became a thin sliver, I switched to the fine grading stone.  Removed the line of light entirely.  Honed it on the stropping wheel.  Tested it on a piece of basswood.  Cut like butter.  It was so sharp, I couldn't put it back in the original packaging--sliced through everything.  So I carefully placed it in my chisel tool roll.  I slept very well last night.  Thanks again.

Ken S

Stig,

The handbook seems vague to me on whether to begin with the wheel graded coarse, fine, or in between. I normally start with the stone graded fine for knives. Carving tools seem at least as delicate to me as knives. Would you recommend beginning coarse or fine?

Thanks, Ken

Stickan

As always, it depends of how much steel you need to remove. But normally there is not much and I think carving tools can/should take a bit longer to sharpen.
I sharpen carvingtools "in between" if its normal wear and always a very light pressure the last passes, works great for me.

Best,
Stig

Ken S

Excellent response, Stig. I will copy your information into my handbook. I wish this wisdom was included in the handbook.

Ken

Ken S

I would like to comment further on my last post. For those willing to spend some time researching the forum, there are many gems of Tormek wisdom to be found. Stig's comment about using the "in between" grading with carving tools is certainly one worth remembering.

My problem with any forum versus the handbook is that no matter how useful a posted topic is, it will only be read by those who happen to be actively reading the posts at the time. The active lifespan of a topic with few replies may be only a few days. Even a topic with many replies will only be on the radar for perhaps a month. Once the topic works its way down the page, it starts to enter oblivion.

I have a collection of several editions of the handbook. My most used edition is the hardback copy which was included with my first T7 in 2009. I refer to the handbooks often. The handbook is an enjoyable reread with a cup of coffee for my quiet centering when I arise early on a trip with my family.

I purchased the Turner's Instruction Box circa 2009. As noted earlier in another post, I referred to it this morning. It contains information I consider essential for basic Tormek technique as well as turning information.  I find videos the most convenient references. Tormek has some excellent videos, the turning kit and Alan Holtham's DBS-22 drill bit sharpening jig video being two of the best. I wish there were more of these in depth videos.

The knowledge is available. Finding it is often difficult and should not be.

Ken