News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

water trough plastic

Started by thats sharp, November 09, 2016, 08:11:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thats sharp

I was wondering if anyone can identify the type of plastic used to make the Tormek water trough. I've looked at the website but they don't identify the material.
I have a small crack developing at one of the hinge points and would like to toughen it up so need to know what bonding agent is necessary. I'm not sure I want to plastic weld it due to the troughs thinness.
TIA

Ken S

That sounds like an excellent question for support in Sweden. (support@tormek.se)

Ken

jeffs55

Quote from: thats sharp on November 09, 2016, 08:11:30 PM
I was wondering if anyone can identify the type of plastic used to make the Tormek water trough. I've looked at the website but they don't identify the material.
It is made of UNobtainium. Sorry, but there is no known adhesive for this material.
You can use less of more but you cannot make more of less.

Ken S

I would wait until you hear from Sweden, normally a day or two. I suspect any plastic adhesive would work.

Worst case scenario, a new advanced water trough is only $28 US. It is considered an upgrade rather than a replacement part, so it's easy to find.

Ken

SharpenADullWitt

A water trough is relatively inexpensive, but it doesn't help if you have to order it from somewhere online, and wait for it.
I would think a two part epoxy, like plumbers epoxy, or JB weld, might work as a temp fix.  (remember the amount of stuff you use, will effect fit)
Favorite line, from a post here:
Quote from: Rob on February 24, 2013, 06:11:44 PM
8)

Yeah you know Tormek have reached sharpening nirvana when you get a prosthetic hand as part of the standard package :/)

Stickan

Hi,
Its made of Polystyrene. There is glue made specificly for this but I dont think it will work very well since there is always pressure and movement in the hinge.

Not UNobtainium... :-)

Best,
Stig

thats sharp

Thanks Stig. I have no objection to purchasing a new unobrainum  ;) trough, but given all the plastic trash currently floating around the world, I would rather not be a willing participant if it can be avoided or delayed.

Ken S

You might made a wooden block support for under the water trough. That would remove the stress.

Another option is to recycle your trough and purchase the newer advanced model.

Or, you could do what I have done with my original trough when I upgraded. I use it as a holding compartment for various honing compounds. That both reuses the trough and keeps the drawer cleaner. Should my newer trough break, I have a readily available spare.

Ken

SharpenADullWitt

I wish I could remember where I saw it, but on another forum, I believe someone broke those tabs off and replaced them with bolts, but I do not remember if they were using it on the Tormek, or a clone.  (my memory tells me they bought a replacement one, due to breaking their original on a clone machine)
Favorite line, from a post here:
Quote from: Rob on February 24, 2013, 06:11:44 PM
8)

Yeah you know Tormek have reached sharpening nirvana when you get a prosthetic hand as part of the standard package :/)

wootz

Quote from: Ken S on November 11, 2016, 12:21:21 PM
You might made a wooden block support for under the water trough. That would remove the stress.

Clever lateral thinking, Ken.
Reminded me of the solution I read here https://www.fine-tools.com/kingsteinzugross.html

Elden

I use mine with a block under it to support it. My grip is not what it used to be and I dropped the DBS-22 drill bit holder on the trough, breaking the ears. This was a replacement trough as the original had problems also. One of these days, I intend to figure out some kind of repair.
Elden

Rem

Or, you could do what I have done with my original trough when I upgraded. I use it as a holding compartment for various honing compounds. That both reuses the trough and keeps the drawer cleaner. Should my newer trough break, I have a readily available spare.

Ken

Further to this idea, it makes a nice upright storage depot for a grindstone, should you have more than one.    It's a bit unstable as is, but fixing it to a wall or whatever would do the trick.   If you don't like to put additional holes in it, I have found that rare earth magnets (flat circular discs) are very strong.  You could glue a couple to the trough, and match those to a couple on the wall, or whatever.   Just a thought.    Don't you think "trough" should be spelled "trawff" ???    I mean, who thinks up this stuff??      How can you have so many different sounds for "-ough" ???    Somebody's messing with us.    R   :o

Ken S

Rem, as much as I hate to disagree, that's a lot of weight for a plastic trough or trawff.

Ken

Rem

You could be right.  I took mine off and emptied the water out and put a grindstone in it.  The trough was sitting on a flat surface, and it seemed to settle in ok.  Just a thawt.   But there may be a crack in my theory.   R   ;D

Ken S

Quote from: wootz on November 11, 2016, 07:01:15 PM

Clever lateral thinking, Ken.
Reminded me of the solution I read here https://www.fine-tools.com/kingsteinzugross.html

Thanks, Wootz.

I have to be clever just to keep up with you guys!

I have one of those ten inch (oversize) wheels. I had to jury rig a similar set up to try it. If I ever use it more, I will probably just use the TT-50 truing tool to make it a true 250mm grinding wheel. It should be initially trued anyway.

Ken