News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Drip Tray (for lack of a better name)

Started by Rem, September 10, 2016, 03:34:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rem

I think your drip tray is all wet. ;)
[/quote]

It likely will be soon enough.   "Trey" and I have a lot in common.    R     ???

Hatchcanyon

Quote from: Rem on September 10, 2016, 03:34:24 AM
Was wondering what you guys use, if anything, for a tray under the machine to catch the bit of water that finds its way down there.   You know what I'm talking about.  I confiscated my wife's jellyroll tray ... a very nice metal tray like a cafeteria tray.  I received my mighty fine Tormek rotating stand today.  Very nice.  However, the tray is about 13" in width.  It will not allow the rotation stand to revolve.  It catches on the side of the drip tray when it reaches its maximum diagonal posture.   Would be interested in knowing what other folks use for this.   Thanks.   RR

Last week I found something in our cellar, an old developer bowl from the analog times of photography. This cheap thing fits exactly.

Rolf
German with a second home in the American Southwestern Desert - loves Old England too.

Rem

A mighty handsome set-up.  Mighty fine, indeed.   The problem you may incur, should you ever attach the swivel base, is that the machine will not clear the edges when you go to revolve it.  But you can elevate the unit on something and I suspect that would solve the problem.    R

Hatchcanyon

Quote from: Rem on September 26, 2016, 04:01:19 PM
A mighty handsome set-up.  Mighty fine, indeed.   The problem you may incur, should you ever attach the swivel base, is that the machine will not clear the edges when you go to revolve it.  But you can elevate the unit on something and I suspect that would solve the problem.    R
Hm,

I never turned the machine als long as it works for me. And even in case - lift it with the handle and set it back the other way round.

Rolf
German with a second home in the American Southwestern Desert - loves Old England too.

Ken S

Rolf,

A photographic tray is a good idea. I would suggest swiveling the entire tray. This idea was presented earlier with the suggestion of using a cafeteria tray.

Ken

SharpenADullWitt

Quote from: Rem on September 26, 2016, 04:01:19 PM

So build a high rise in South Park?
(it came to mind with all the Tray/Matt stuff, Matt Parker, Trey Stone)
Favorite line, from a post here:
Quote from: Rob on February 24, 2013, 06:11:44 PM
8)

Yeah you know Tormek have reached sharpening nirvana when you get a prosthetic hand as part of the standard package :/)

Ken S

Going back to the original post, the correct term for the "drip pan" is the Water Trough, or Advanced Water Trough added in 2010 for the T7 and Super Grind.

There are many ways to rotate a Tormek. My favorite, if the shop is large enough, is to put a small bench where there is walk around room and move the operator rather than the Tormek. I still like and sometimes use this method, even though I have a rotating base and a work station.

I would suggest putting the rotating base on the future want list. For some, it will prove quite useful. For others, as stated in posts here, there is no need for it. I would use the Tormek for several months before deciding on the rotating base.

Rolf,

Those old Paterson developing trays have always been my first choice for developing sheet film. Over the years, I have developed thousands of 4x5 negatives and a few 8x10s with them. They work very well!

Ken

Rem

I thought I'd revive this most enjoyable thread with some exciting news.  An item that might interest you.  It's 25 bucks Canadian, which is about a dollar eighty-five American.     Enjoy.  R   ;D

http://www.leevalley.com/en/garden/page.aspx?p=74738&cat=52&ap=2

Ken S

Rem,

Another fine product from a venerable Canadian company. This is truly the Tormek of turkey basters!

The larger capacity of this outstanding turkey baster might save the day when you need to clean up quickly or miss the afternoon dog sled and have to wait until Sargeant Preston returns. Incidentally, the price in US dollars is $19.50, although in this quality league, asking the price would be bad form. :)

It is a nice looking turkey baster.

Ken

Rem

Indeed, it appears to be a fine unit.  Perhaps Tormek should acquire the distribution rights and label it the "Tormekey Baster".   And I agree regarding the cost ....  it's so vulgar to discuss price.  It should be of no consequence when one is considering the purchase of the pièce de résistance of substance suckers.  Only riff raff would consider the cost as a potential determinant of said purchase.

Regarding Wille (Sgt. William Preston), he and I were in the Navy together and remained close friends for many years.  Sadly, he passed recently and consequently, his sled riding days are over. 

And Lee Valley is a fabrication.  In fact, the headquarters for the company is located on a spot of rather high ground.  Hardly a valley.  It's all so sordid. 

But I think the referred to aspirator facilitator would prove to be a fine product.  Here is your opportunity to really "suck it up".  And it might make a good squirt gun, too.    R   ::) 

Ken S

Getting beyond the good natured fun, a turkey baster really works. I have found that most of the water I have spilled was during emptying the water trough. Removing most of the water with the turkey baster eliminates that problem. My newly purchased inexpensive, but smaller baster does drip a little. This can be controlled by holding the baster over the water trough and squirting the water into a small plastic peanut butter jar. The thrifty among us will not be bothered by a few drips; the fastidious should be most pleased with the Lee Valley quality model.

The Tormek acquired a reputation for water spillage over the years. I watched a real Tormek expert work for a day at a woodworking show. He had set up both a T4 and a T7. Both were in use all day. They were sitting on box cardboard. Out of curiosity, I monitored the water spillage. It was very minimal. I think most of it happened due to rotating the machines with no rotating bases. The key factor was that he filled the water troughs adequately, but he did not overfill them.

I attribute much of the alleged spillage problem reputation to overfilling. The trough is filled. The stone absorbs some water. Instead of carefully adding water, people pour in plenty.

The newer water trough designs also help minimize spillage. a good "drip pan" contains the water that does spill, whether it is the very nice Tormek rubber mat or the humble but adequate cafeteria tray. The round cornerless bottom and removable magnet design of the T8 trough do make cleaning less work.

Putting water spillage in context, I would much rather deal with a small amount of water than the abrasive dust from my belt grinder or rarely used dry grinder.

Ken

Rem

Based on my limited experience to date, I completely agree.  The water spillage is minimal.  I keep an old piece of a synthetic chamois pushed up against the swivel base on the drip pan side.  I have also found it is a simple matter to tilt the machine slightly and expose the underneath so I can pat it lightly with said chamois.  It's not an issue of any consequence for me, and I am definitely in the fastidious category.    R    :)

pnwPat

For rotating a Tormek (at the risk of appearing gauche by suggesting a potentially "less pricey" solution than an official Tormek base, perish the thought! :)), why not place a suitable tray (such as the ones mentioned in this thread) on top of a swivel base, such as from Lee Valley's Home & Garden section: http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?p=48644&cat=1,250,43298,43316. The 16" size is $21.50 US. It is plastic and thus water proof, or at least resistant, presumably. The load capacity is 200 lbs, plenty for this application. Both the tray and machine sitting on this would easily rotate together, when desired.

You'd still need to fashion a latch or brake for the selected working position, but one way would be to use a board under the tray (to ensure lack of flexing), and a board under the swivel (to make the whole setup portable), then simply extend such boards on the sides an inch or so and drop a bolt (or two) through drilled holes that align when the machine is in position. Double stick tape could ensure the swivel base stayed put between the boards, forming an intact assembly that can be moved or stored. Voila!

Personally I have always just lifted the machine and set it down the other way, working on a formica work surface that I just let get wet and wipe up afterwards, but maybe some year I'll get fancy...

Pat

Ken S

Pat,

My favorite way to rotate the Tormek is to leave it in place and walk around the bench. This seems the most natural to me.

Ken

pnwPat

I saw your preference for that in the thread, Ken, and agree it is a very slick solution if you have the right workstation. Unfortunately my present workbench is too wide for that to work well (I'd be bending forward too much for comfort on one side or the other, or both, while working, and that's even if it wasn't cluttered with project components or tools :)). Right now I normally use a countertop that is installed against a wall, but like I said, maybe some day I'll get fancy and build a stand alone or peninsula type workstation specifically for sharpening that can support your suggestion.

Cheers,

Pat