News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Drip Tray (for lack of a better name)

Started by Rem, September 10, 2016, 03:34:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rem

Was wondering what you guys use, if anything, for a tray under the machine to catch the bit of water that finds its way down there.   You know what I'm talking about.  I confiscated my wife's jellyroll tray ... a very nice metal tray like a cafeteria tray.  I received my mighty fine Tormek rotating stand today.  Very nice.  However, the tray is about 13" in width.  It will not allow the rotation stand to revolve.  It catches on the side of the drip tray when it reaches its maximum diagonal posture.   Would be interested in knowing what other folks use for this.   Thanks.   RR

Ken S

Rem,

Very good question. Tormek makes a very nice rubber mat which works very well. It is also not inexpensive.

If you measure the widest point of the Tormek being pivoted in the rotating base, you should be able to find a larger jellyroll type pan or cafeteria tray.

Most of the water I spilled was during removing the water trough. Sharpen a Dull Wit solved that problem with a turkey baster. It is a must have item, even with the T8. Mine cost $4 US in Ohio. In the Yukon, you should be able to find one for less that three hundred dollars. :-\

Ken

RichColvin

I got a rubber mat for drying dishes from Target.  Works well, but I don't have a rotating base so I don't know if it would work with that or not.

Kind regards,
Rich
---------------------------
Rich Colvin
www.SharpeningHandbook.info - a reference guide for sharpening

You are born weak & frail, and you die weak & frail.  What you do between those is up to you.

Rem

Thanks, guys.  Ken, I looked at the Tormek mat.  It is about the same dimensions as my jellyroll pan.   I'm assuming they have designed it so it would work with the rotating base?   Perhaps the edges are a bit lower so the rotating base will clear it when it turns?   I emailed Tormek earlier and asked them that.   No response yet.   thanks.  If anyone has this set up (Tormek work mat and Tormek rotating base), would appreciate knowing that it works.  Thanks.  RR

Rem

I just read a review on Amazon where someone asked the exact same question.  Someone responded that they had both the work mat and the rotating base and it made it's turn within the boundaries of the mat.   So there you go.   My wife is off to Edmonton soon so I'll get her to pick me up a nice birthday present.   It's coming up in 11 months.   RR

SharpenADullWitt

Quote from: RichColvin on September 10, 2016, 04:05:56 AM
I got a rubber mat for drying dishes from Target.  Works well, but I don't have a rotating base so I don't know if it would work with that or not.

Kind regards,
Rich

Towels were a common thing in old posts.  The dish mats (remember before dishwashers), are another great idea.  One other one I saw on Youtube, was someone used something that was either a rear seat floormat, or an entry mat for your shoes. (have bumps that allow water underneath, without  going over.
Favorite line, from a post here:
Quote from: Rob on February 24, 2013, 06:11:44 PM
8)

Yeah you know Tormek have reached sharpening nirvana when you get a prosthetic hand as part of the standard package :/)

Ken S

Rem,

I measured my Tormek rubber mat. Your constraint is the height of the sides. The shortest inside distance across the Tormek mat is 12" or 300mm. (The Tormek rubber mat is sized to fit in the top of the Tormek Work Station.) That is actually smaller than your jellyroll pan. The key is the height of the Tormek mat. The sides are about 7/16" or 10mm. The Tormek actually extends outboard with pivoting.

Your jelly pan will work if you place something under the rotating base. Rubberlike draw liners are available for mechanic's toolchests. I bought a rubberlike top for my mechanic's chest from Sears. It was not expensive, and cut down to fit your jellyroll pan should work very well. Measure the sides of your pan first to see how much thickness you need. A sink liner shuould work. Even a piece of 1/4" or 6mm plywood would work. (I recommend a water resistant finish.)

All you need to do is raise your Tormek enough to clear the sides of your pan. Your solution can be very simple and inexpensive. I always remove the Tormek from the revolving base at the end of a sharpening session to let everything dry.

Keep us posted; this is a common difficulty.

Ken

ps I think much water spillage can be attributed to overfilling the water trough. The day I met Steve Bottorff, he had set up two Tormeks at a woodworking show. They were running all day. They were setting on a wooden woorkbench protected by only only a layer of cardboard. I checked throughout the day. Very little water spilled.There is something to be said for long experience.

Rob

would someone like to explain to the poor saps on this side of the pond (who invented the language by the way) what the hell "Jellyroll" is please?
Best.    Rob.

SharpenADullWitt

I was guessing a sheet pan, also referred to as a cookie sheet over here.

Edit:  A quick google search, said it is similar to a cookie sheet, but has a taller lip.
8)

Yeah you know Tormek have reached sharpening nirvana when you get a prosthetic hand as part of the standard package :/)

Ken S

Excellent explanatory post, SADW.

Rob,

Yous guys may have invented the language, but we were the ones what brought it to its present level.

Rem,

I suggest you place your Tormek, in the rotating base, on a flat surface. Rotate the Tormek and measure how much room you need between the bottom of the revolving piece and the table.
Actually, in what I believe might pass for "Old English", a cookie sheet might be " just the ticket".

Ken

Rem

For those inquiring minds out there ........  it's good that we can discuss intellectual topics, other than sharpening, from time to time .....   R

A jelly roll pan is similar to a baking sheet or cookie sheet, but it has sides that are usually 1 inch (2.54 cm) deep. These pans are handy for many uses, such as for roasting vegetables and baking cookies, coffee cakes, and the cake portion of jelly rolls.

A jelly roll is a thin sponge cake that is rolled up with a filling of jelly or jam. When sliced, a circular pattern is revealed in each piece of cake. Whipped cream and fruit or fruit preserves often top each slice. The jelly roll cake batter is usually flavored with vanilla and/or almond extract, and raspberry or strawberry jam or jelly is usually used for the filling. There are many variations of this dessert, however, and while a chocolate cake with whipped cream filling isn't technically a jelly roll, it would still be made in basically the same way.

What's the difference between a cookie sheet and a jelly-roll pan?

— Charolette Bell, Milford, CT

The former is a metal sheet with one or two sides bent up for easier handling. Its design allows air to circulate freely around the cookies so they bake and brown evenly. A jelly-roll pan (either 15 ½ by 10 ½ inches or 18 by 12 a.k.a. a half-sheet pan) has 1-inch-high sides and is perfect for making cake rolls; it can stand in for a cookie sheet in a pinch. It's also a terrific roasting pan for veggies and more.

grepper

Here's what I did.  Works great.  Aluminum tray:

Ken S

Grepper,

Your set up looks like a good candidate for the Popular Mechanics Home Workshop Legion of Merit award.

Well done.

Ken

SharpenADullWitt

Greppers is the one called a Sheet pan.  They come in various sizes, normally are aluminum and are used in restaurants.
8)

Rem

Well, I bit the blade and ordered the Tormek fancy schmancy work mat.   In for a fortune, in for a bigger fortune.   The wife will just have to put in a few extra hours ....  and I'm ok with that.   R   ;)