News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

How good is the Tormek?

Started by WolfY, August 17, 2016, 02:43:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WolfY

Well maybe it's a misleading name of subject but still.

Back to my new client that got the SG-250 exchanged and was working in an awkward position I took some pictures to show that he still thought the Tormek is best even when working hard.
Pict. of old stone that was exept for oval also with sloped surface of about 15 dgrs.:

Working position that he insisted to keep as he "had no choice", with the new stone:

Giving an advice is easy.
Accepting an advice is good.
Knowing which advice is worth adopting and which not, is a virtue.

stevebot

It looks like he is avoiding contact with the leather wheel. Answer is to take it off.
That is not the first wheel I have seen with severe oval. Not much problem if you go freehand but you could not sharpen a plane iron on it.
I suggest you review my video and convert him to free hand.
Steve Bottorff; author, teacher and consultant on knife and scissor sharpening.

SharpenADullWitt

What was he sharpening, that he was trying to avoid the leather wheel? Or was it something simpler, like placement of the tool, gave a bad location to stand.

Steve, do you recommend replacing the wheel with something and what, so there isn't play with the shaft while grinding?

Did they leave the stone in water, long after they were done using it?  (I seem to remember this was someone in Israel, down the street from Wolfy and I need to go back and read that post again)
Favorite line, from a post here:
Quote from: Rob on February 24, 2013, 06:11:44 PM
8)

Yeah you know Tormek have reached sharpening nirvana when you get a prosthetic hand as part of the standard package :/)

WolfY

Quote from: stevebot on August 17, 2016, 02:58:21 PM
It looks like he is avoiding contact with the leather wheel. Answer is to take it off.
That is not the first wheel I have seen with severe oval. Not much problem if you go freehand but you could not sharpen a plane iron on it.
I suggest you review my video and convert him to free hand.

Yes he didn't use the leather wheel for 6 yrs. After freehand sharpening, he honed on a bench grinder with some scotch alike wheel. Never got a perfect edge even after going back and forth btw the 2 machines. I showed him how to use the leather but he had to put some oil on it to get it soft again.

WolfY

Quote from: SharpenADullWitt on August 17, 2016, 03:09:32 PM
Did they leave the stone in water, long after they were done using it?  (I seem to remember this was someone in Israel, down the street from Wolfy and I need to go back and read that post again)
Yap same guy I was talking about.
Picture is also after first immediate service I gave them with the nylon Bearings. I just switched sides of them, which worked fine, while ordering new from Tormek.

Ken S

WolfY,

I really like the photo of the man using the Tormek. Between his East Shore shirt and the Key Service sign, one might think the store was in Brooklyn instead of Israel. Good photo!

The Tormek SG photo makes the case for regular use of the TT-50 truing tool. Thanks for sharing the photos.

Ken

Ken S

This store seems a situation where one might expect knife sharpening traffic throughout the day, with periods on inactivity. I would not expect the store personnel to dump and clean the water trough between sessions. The new liftable water trough of the T8 would seem ideal for this. The grinding wheel would be ready for action and be stored dry between sessions.

As the store owner may not wish to invest in a second Tormek, I think using a turkey baster to remove some of the water to a plastic (lidded) jar and setting the water trough next to the Tormek would be a practical solution. The stone would be stored dry when not in use; and, there would be minimal water spillage without the need to invest in a second machine.

Ken

WolfY

Ken,

Your analysis of the situation is right. But the owner don't care so much about it. He sharpens take the money and stops there. I explained all of this but he has his limits and interests.

As for the trough difference benefits btw T-7 and 8 I couldn't agree more. Lifting it up/down btw sessions is so easy now with the T-8.

Ken S

WolfY,

Alas, the "don't care" school has many graduates. I recall Herman found one of the graduates in Texas butchering knives. Using a Tormek, assuming one is well trained, the difference in effort needed to produce an excellently sharpened knife is hardly more than the effort to produce mediocre results. The cost in materials and/or labor is essentially zero. A customer trusts the store to do a good job. Violating that trust through laziness is unacceptable. Why not be known for outstanding work?

Ken

WolfY

The lack of understanding from the client side is also part of it. If the knife feels sharp and the client is happy they don't care. especially if there is no real competition. But things are changing slowly.

Ken S

WolfY,

Why don't you put together a first rate class on Tormek training. Offer it for very little if any cost for those who have registered Tormek purchases from your business, and very moderate cost for those who either purchased Tormek elsewhere or are still deciding.

The store owner with the lack of training will either attend with his employees or his future competition will.

Probably best not to seem aggressive in this. It wouls also grow your business as you become known as the dealer who provides training support.

Ken

WolfY

Quote from: Ken S on August 18, 2016, 05:27:12 PM
WolfY,

Why don't you put together a first rate class on Tormek training. Offer it for very little if any cost for those who have registered Tormek purchases from your business, and very moderate cost for those who either purchased Tormek elsewhere or are still deciding.

Ken, It's part of my plan further this year :) As it also releys to your post somewhere about learning from VDO or Master.
I believe in learning direct in a meeting and asking the q. and hearing others too.

Ken S

WolfY,

I agree with you about the benefits of a direct meeting. Having the chance to see a Tormek skillfully used ("in real time" as people say now) can be an especially powerful learning and sales tool, especially if offered with the other powerful sales tool, an immediate discount of short duration!

At the woodworking shows in the US, I think the best sales method is combining a demonstrator/salesman with an hour long class. Quite often these shows offer discounts. I believe in the old maxim that good salesmanship is educating your customer as to how he will benefit from having your product.

Ken