News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

a modified kenjig

Started by Ken S, August 11, 2016, 10:26:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken S

I originally set up the kenjig to accommodate paring, slicing, and chef's knives with the same protrusion (edge of knife to where the jig sits on the universal support) and distance between the top of the universal support to the grinding wheel. Placing the paring knives in the small blade tool (SVM-00) (mounted in the SVM-45) made this possible.

While this works reasonably well, I find it more convenient at times to use some paring knives directly in the SVM-45. Without the small blade tool, paring knives can not be set to the 139mm protrusion I have adopted as my standard.

By using three jigs, one for each type of knife, I can preset the jig length and require very little, if any readjustment of the jig.

I have incorporated a second SVM-45 jig into the process to accommodate paring knives mounted directly in the jig. My paring knife in the jig measured a protrusion range of 110 to 130mm. Consulting Dutchman's tables, a protrusion of 120mm, the middle of the range, requires a distance (universal support to grinding wheel) of 65mm. I will make another kenjig, well labelled, with a 65mm distance slot and a 120mm protrusion scribed line.

Going back and forth between the 65 and 80mm distances requires only using the grooves as gages. No measuring is necessary and the distances are accurate. The adjustment is very quick.

Using the fourth knife jig and second kenjig is not quite as neatly packaged, but it does give the option of mounting paring knives directlyin the knife jig.

There is a reason for my delay in adding this part of the process. I misplaced my second SVM-45 and only located it today. :(

Ken

SharpenADullWitt

I am thinking you were the poster, who ordered some inserts that the tool packages come in.  Using them will help you not lose things. :P
Favorite line, from a post here:
Quote from: Rob on February 24, 2013, 06:11:44 PM
8)

Yeah you know Tormek have reached sharpening nirvana when you get a prosthetic hand as part of the standard package :/)

Ken S

Touché, SADW.

I am having all of my jigs modified to incorporate GPS tracking.

Actually, I am not the guy who ordered foam inserts. In fact, I removed them from my work station. Nothing against the foam inserts; they just don't work for me. As an example, for my kenjig work, I have four knife jigs plus the small blade holder. I prefer to leave them preset so that I do not have to adjust them at the start of each sharpening session. Someday I may add a fifth knife jig, modified as Wootz suggests.

The foam inserts are a clever idea and should work well for normal users.

I am looking forward to the  built in GPS tracking screen in the T9.  :)

Ken

Jan

Quote from: Ken S on August 11, 2016, 10:26:49 PM

I have incorporated a second SVM-45 jig into the process to accommodate paring knives mounted directly in the jig. My paring knife in the jig measured a protrusion range of 110 to 130mm. Consulting Dutchman's tables, a protrusion of 120mm, the middle of the range, requires a distance (universal support to grinding wheel) of 65mm. I will make another kenjig, well labelled, with a 65mm distance slot and a 120mm protrusion scribed line.

Ken

Ken, it is a very good idea to add a 120 mm protrusion for smaller knives.  :)

I would like to remind you, that Dutchman tables are slightly biased because of Tony's simplified definition of the distance between the USB and the grindstone. For a protrusion of 120 mm the correct distance is 63 mm assuming 250 mm grindstone diameter and 30° edge angle. 

You can use my Excel spread sheet for calculating the wheel-support distance. https://www.dropbox.com/s/ypbtaxgycgoyls0/KENJIG_wheel_support_distance_1.xlsb?dl=1

Jan

P.S.: Ken, your distance 65 mm corresponds to an edge angle of 32.5°.

Ken S

Thanks, Jan.

I will modify the jig. I saved your excel spread sheet into my drop box. (I am new to drop box. It seems like a very useful tool.)

Ken

Jan

Ken, Dropbox is surely useful file hosting service and it is wise that you have copied the excel spread sheet into your own folder.   :)

Such a small files, like the excel spread sheet it is good to save also in your own computer for the case you lose for some reasons the internet connection.

Jan

Ken S

Good thought, Jan. I will place it in ibooks, where I already have the handbook and Dutchman's tables.

Ken