News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

T4,T7 or T8

Started by Ken S, August 08, 2016, 01:37:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SharpenADullWitt

Quote from: Stickan on August 16, 2016, 08:56:23 AM
Herman,
On the T-7 we had to manually adjust the sleeves to get them correct. There is always room for human error even if we have strict quality controls.
On the T-8 they are casted which means that the sleeves will get perfect.
Also, the holes are tighter in the sleeves on the T-8 which make the supportbar better aligned every-time you lock it.

But even if this is improved, the "problem" not getting a square tool is the way you mount the tool and press on the tool while sharpening.
Even if the sleeves are 100% aligned and the tool is perfectly mounted in the jig, the pressure you use and where on the chisels back can actually sharpen it out of square.

If so, press on the opposit side the get it square.
The new SE-77 will help this but even the SE-76 is a very good jig when used correctly.

Best,
Stig

Sounds like you should have just quoted Douglas Adams, the author of the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy series......
"a common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
Favorite line, from a post here:
Quote from: Rob on February 24, 2013, 06:11:44 PM
8)

Yeah you know Tormek have reached sharpening nirvana when you get a prosthetic hand as part of the standard package :/)

Ken S

SADW,

Great quote!!! It made me laugh and makes me think......

Ken

Stickan

Hi,
I forgot to mention the tools itself can sometimes be tricky. A chisel or a plane blade can be tapered which many times can be hard to see or it can even be crocked after years of use.

Best,
Stig

Ken S

Be sure to only sharpen tools which are Tormek approved.  :)

Actually we live in a world which is rarely square, plumb and level, and where levels, thermometers, and even rules do not always agree. Good judgement is important.

Ken

Herman Trivilino

Quote from: Ken S on August 16, 2016, 03:00:30 AM
I saw a friend over the weekend who had a long career as a machinist making precision bolts, etc for the Eaton Company. I recalled seeing screws which were zinc coated. He confirmed my belief that the zinc coating improved rust resistance.

Ken, it's my understanding that most of the steel hardware seen in a home center is coated with zinc. For example, bolts, nuts, gate latches and hinges. If not, they'd rust on the shelves and no one would want to buy them. Also, galvanized steel pipe. In fact, the very term galvanized derives its name from the galvanic action used to adhere the zinc to the steel. In Italy, Galvani was a pioneer in the study of electricity. Building on what he'd done, Volta was able to invent the first battery.

Origin: Big Bang

RichColvin

Be careful not to weld galvanized steel unless well ventilated.  The high heat make some toxic fumes. 
---------------------------
Rich Colvin
www.SharpeningHandbook.info - a reference guide for sharpening

You are born weak & frail, and you die weak & frail.  What you do between those is up to you.

Ken S

Herman. 

Good info. If it wasn't for prople like Galvani and Volta, my career would not have existed (telepnone installer/repair tech). Traditional telephones are powered by very large DC batteries in the switching stations. The sound waves over the carbon transmitter introduces an irregular ac factor, which the receiver converts to sound.

I am very glad to live in a world with zinc.

Rich,

I am not a welder, however, your caveat is good to know.

Ken

Jan

Quote from: RichColvin on August 20, 2016, 10:58:57 AM
Be careful not to weld galvanized steel unless well ventilated.  The high heat make some toxic fumes.

On the other hand zinc is believed to be an antioxidant that may protect against aging of skin and muscles. Zinc deficiency is associated with major depressive disorder.  ;)

Jan

WolfY

Quote from: SharpenADullWitt on August 08, 2016, 04:12:11 PM
I ask because the T7, comes with the diamond hone, the ability for three stones, and while it ways a bit more, if one is only moving it off a shelf and back (and isn't using the SE-76 jig), the T7 might be a better buy.  (doesn't the T4, currently have the 76 jig)
SADW,

I just sold a T-7 with this arguments. I have also discounted the T-7 and the price of T-4 (That the client intended to buy at first) is not convincing without the TT-50 and SE-76. I also offered him the SE-77 instead of the SE-76 adding very little to the price. So he too the hole package and some more jigs and accessories.
Currently (in Israel) there is a 15% price difference btw T-7 and T-8. T-4 is 33% less than T-7.
Buy the way, I'm the one that had to discount the T-7 as I got no notice from Tormek about the T-8 coming out and had some in stock.

But for me as a professional? I would definitely buy the T-8. I have daily use of the elevating water trough.
Giving an advice is easy.
Accepting an advice is good.
Knowing which advice is worth adopting and which not, is a virtue.

Ken S

WolfY,

I agree with your comments. As much as I like the T4, the reason to purchase or not purchase it is the size andweight. The cost difference is not substantial for a long term tool. Depending on individual usage, the availability of the SB wheel may be a significant. Also, when moving is infrequest or minimal, lighter weight may not really be a factor.

Both the T4 and T7 are proven performers, however, I agree with you about the convenience of the elevating water trough for professional use, especially, as in the case of the hardware store you mention, for intermittent use. ( A turkey baster can help to level this advantage, although it is not a co plete solution.)

I have often said that there are no wrong choices with Tormek, just some choices which are a better fit.

Ken

SharpenADullWitt

I helped my friend decide on the T-7.
The T-4, has advantage of small size, and the ability to use a long lasting SJ stone, with a jig (so you don't round the edges on the leather wheel), for maintenance, and the SG stone for grinding. (mentioned in a carving thread)
However the cost difference, is little currently (and as you mentioned, some have old stock, or maybe demo models that they are swapping) that the T-7 was a better buy, since they can borrow some stuff from me to try. 
I asked in a PM if the flap of the AWT-250, would work on the T-8, as it also helps provide a way to pour water in, and spill less. (and since they are the restaurant/knife users and this is something they want to try)

If this were someone starting out, from square zero, then they would have to judge between the T-4 and the T-8.  (as of the date of this posting)
But for those of us, having access to more then one machine, the ability to swap parts, to me is kind of self insurance. (known them for so long, we trust each other with blank checks)  I will own one machine, but have access to at least two.  If I ever bought/needed a third, my T-4 advantages comment, would explain why/what I would get.  I think I could design a way (or modify some store bought item) to raise and lower the water tray, if I knew that I needed that).
Favorite line, from a post here:
Quote from: Rob on February 24, 2013, 06:11:44 PM
8)

Yeah you know Tormek have reached sharpening nirvana when you get a prosthetic hand as part of the standard package :/)

Ken S

I agree that someone starting from scratch would be well served beginning with the latest technology, in this case the T8 or T4. However, you are an experienced user with a special situation. I think the T7 makes good sense for you. Listen to your inner voices; you have been around Tormeks for many years.

Keep us posted.

Ken