News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.

www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Does anyone make their own handsaws?

Started by mark1, July 21, 2016, 12:29:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mark1

While I hate to start another hobby, I have been interested for a long time in making my own handsaws. Does anyone have any experience with toothing their own blades? I've been looking for a retoother to do this, but it seems like even Foley-Belsaw no longer makes them. I looked for 2nd hand units, but most are missing the ratchets and guide bars.

I'm curious if anyone on here has a solution. Is a custom die in a manual punch press a crazy solution?

Dakotapix

Paul Sellers, the English woodworker/teacher has a YouTube video on retoothing handsaws using a hack saw. The hack saw is used to set the tooth per inch rate and then he follows that with the sharpening. There are also templates available for various toothing patterns available on the Internet. I don't have the links available but these should be easy to find by searching.

Herman Trivilino

I am by no means qualified to respond, but I'll do so anyway!  :)

Handsaws are heat treated at the tips of the teeth, something impossible for the do-it-yourselfer to accomplish. Yes, you can make your own, but they won't last as long or work as well.
Origin: Big Bang

Ken S

Mark,

Check out Mike Wensloff. I think he has taught some saw making classes. Possibly others do, also. Making a saw in a class under the watchful eye of an expert sawmaker seems a very good way to get your feet wet without a large financial commitment.

Ken

SharpenADullWitt

I would think some of the blacksmithing/metalworking sites, as well as a site that used to be called the Old Woodworking Machines forum, might be of some use.   But I would also be looking up techniques to restore old, garage sales, handsaws.
Favorite line, from a post here:
Quote from: Rob on February 24, 2013, 06:11:44 PM
8)

Yeah you know Tormek have reached sharpening nirvana when you get a prosthetic hand as part of the standard package :/)

Dakotapix

Several of the modern day hand saw manufactures offer kits for their backs saws. Tools for Working Wood and Wentzloff are a couple but there are more. Just Google saw kits and you'll find them. If nothing else, you'll get a good idea of what's involved.

mark1

Dakotapix - thanks for pointing me to Paul Sellers. Just watched his Youtube video on making a frame saw. Perfect place for me to start - the tougher handsaw types can wait for later :)

Dakotapix

You're welcome, Mark. In referencing Paul Sellers I neglected to add that some of his videos are available only to registered users of his web site. I'm not a paying member of his classes but do get notification of some videos that are not generally available to the public. Glad you found good info in the frame saw video.