News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

If you own a T2000 ...

Started by RichColvin, June 28, 2016, 02:56:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken S

Good post, SADW.

Rich Colvin gave me his older truing tool. I am fascinated with the development of the Tormek and pleased to have it. I will try it, although even with just looking, the TT-50 seems a much more controllable tool. I do think the truing tool is essential. I would recommend anyone purchasing a T4 also purchase the TT-50 at the same time.

The trick of placing a magnet on the end of the universal support is very clever. So is the idea of taping or gluing a magnet to the water trough. I just realized why Jeff's chisel sharpening videos do not show him using the stops; the videos predate the stops!

I upgraded the shaft and water trough on my original T7 (the one which was stolen). I was not having any problems; I just wanted to stay current. In hindsight, if money was tight, I would upgrade the shaft first and maybe eventually upgrade the water trough.

I would upgrade to a new universal support with the microadjust. It is very useful. Most of us don't have access to a 12mm Acme tap or the skill to use one well. Having a second (or more) universal support is useful. During reshaping it is convenient to leave the jig set up on the support and switch to a second support with the truing tool already set up. Jeff kept a spare support with his platform jig preset for sharpening his turning scrapers, a very clever use for a support without a microadjust. When sharpening multiple chisels, leaving a second support preset for the honing wheel speeds things.

My supports all happen to have the threaded end for the safety stop. I should recommend upgrading to get this feature. Unless you sharpen bench chisels and plane blades with the square edge jigs, you will not need this feature. I learned to sharpen these tools by watching Jeff's pre threaded videos, so I rarely use the stops. I have been trying to unlearn this bad habit and do recommend using the stops. Instead of removing the jig to examine the grinding progress, learn to feel for a consistent burr with the jig in place.

I agree with you about upgrading to the two screw XB-100. I suspect Torgny Jansson was a practical, thrifty man and thought one holding screw was adequate for the task. Probably so, but two screws is better. I like the redesigned cast and machined zinc collars on the T8. I suspect redesigning the XB-100 in zinc is a low priority. The present design seems perfectly adequate. I had the same idea with a BGM-100. I thought I found a bargain XB-100 and realized it was the one screw model when I got home. Incidentally, the sleeves are thicker on the two screw model to support threaded holes. Only the one threaded sleeve is thicker on the older model.

I later purchased a two screw XB-100. I have several ideas for relocating the support for different operations. At this point, the "need" is more theoretical than actual.

I appreciate the comments you SuperGrinders post. You have "in the trenches" experiences with the venerable older Tormeks that I don't have. If I had only bought a Tormek way back when I bought the white friable grinding wheel for my dry grinder................

Ken

Ken S

Looking at the news archive tab on the left side of tormek.com, the microadjust universal support was introduced in September of 2003. The SE-76 was introduced in September of 2007. The archive shows the T7 being introduced in the same month. This seems to mirror the SE-77 being introduced with the T8.

No mention is made of the introduction of the threaded model of the universal support. Presumably it was at the same time as the SE-76.

Ken

Ken S

Quote from: SharpenADullWitt on June 28, 2016, 04:44:35 PM
Where are you located?  What sort of holiday's do you have?

Here in the USA, every year around Thanksgiving, you can find basters for $1, which would be good for sucking things up. 

I followed through on SADW's idea this morning at my local grocery store. I found a nice "Grand Gourmet" turkey baster for $3.99 US. It is very off season, but it looked like a nice one, so I splurged. It is a clear plastic,looks sturdy and is calibrated in both Imperial and Metric to one ounce or 28ml. (We need the calibration, right? :) ) It is approximately 250mm or ten inches long. It is a simple, inexpensive tool which works very well. Due to its size, it will require several pump and squirt cycles, however, I do not see that as a problem.

The critical dimension for a baster used this way is the girth of the tip. It has to be able to squeeze by the grinding wheel to get to the water in the trough. Smaller is better. Mine has a graduated maximum volume of 28ml (1 ounce). It works very well. Think small for clearance!

I would recommend that we all add a turkey baster to the grocery list. Great idea, SADW!

Ken

Ken S

Rich and Herman,

Just out of curiousity, I fired up the T7 with my SG-250, which has worn down to an SG-238. This combination seemed "forum typical". I dug my one liter graduate out of storage (from my photo darkroom).

I started the motor and put about 2/3 of the liter in the water trough. Enough water soaked into the stone that I eventually used the full liter of water. I let the machine run and sharpened a knife. Total running tome was fifteen to twenty minutes. At the end of that time, water was still running over the top of the grinding wheel. Not a lot of water, however, it seemed adequate to me.

The next step is to mark a line on the outside of a plastic bottle. A forty ounce juice bottle would work. A one liter bottle would not even require a line.

As a practical matter, I might start with an electrical tape triangle to mark the line. That way, if you feel more comfortable with a little more water, you can fine tune the line. My unscientific mind thinke water absorbsion should be fairly consistent. In the summer my basement has 49% humidity most of the time. I would keep a smaller jar of water handy on the off chance you might need it sometime.

My idea is simple consistency to provide enough water and almost no spillage. The turkey baster easily removed most of the water after I was through.

I will continue this experiment with the T4 and T8. In the interest of completeness, I should also check the Sb-250, SJ-250, and full diameter SG-250.

Ken

Herman Trivilino

Quote from: Ken S on June 29, 2016, 11:41:23 PM
The new truing tool is made in two models, the TT-50 and the TT-50U. The U stands for upgrade, and means that the diamond tip is not included. The idea is that someone with the older model might prefer to reuse his diamond and save roughly half the price. I consider this customer considerate marketing.

The TT-50U costs $69.
Origin: Big Bang

Ken S

Herman,

Sharpeningsupplies lists the TT-50U for $61. Advanced Machinery sells it on their own website for $64. Affinity usually sells Tormek for list price.

My 2015 price list has the TT-50, the model with the diamond for $89. Unfortunately, the TT-50U is not shown on that list. I suggest you call Affinity Tool for the current list price. Affinity does not sell directly, however, they can tell you the proper price.

Where did you see the $69 price?

My "half" was a swag.

Ken

Herman Trivilino

Ken S

I thought so. Amazon prices are sometimes higher than list for Tormek, even if the transaction is handled through an authorized dealer. In this case, the handling dealer sells the same thing for $64.

That's one of the things I have tried to caution about. Always learn the correct Tormek list price first.

Ken

SharpenADullWitt

Quote from: Ken S on July 02, 2016, 04:38:37 AM
I thought so. Amazon prices are sometimes higher than list for Tormek, even if the transaction is handled through an authorized dealer. In this case, the handling dealer sells the same thing for $64.

That's one of the things I have tried to caution about. Always learn the correct Tormek list price first.

Ken

One has to remember those selling on Amazon, have to pay Amazon.  (why prices are sometimes higher there)
They are not the only ones.

On the baster idea, it was a simple solution, that was already invented, in part to keep ones hands out of hot stuff, and to fit into tight spots.  I didn't as we might say, try to reinvent the shape of that Tormek wheel.
Favorite line, from a post here:
Quote from: Rob on February 24, 2013, 06:11:44 PM
8)

Yeah you know Tormek have reached sharpening nirvana when you get a prosthetic hand as part of the standard package :/)

Herman Trivilino

I tried the turkey baster today and it works quite well. The one I have removed 30 mL from my original SuperGrind 2000 water trough, just enough to help avoid spilling when removing the trough.

Ken S

Herman, I believe the SADW's turkey baster idea will prove to be one of the best practical thoughts from the forum. It makes a major dent in a very old problem.

Ken

SharpenADullWitt

All you guys needed to do was learn to change the brake fluid on cars, and worry about dripping it on the paint job and you would have come up with this too.
Favorite line, from a post here:
Quote from: Rob on February 24, 2013, 06:11:44 PM
8)

Yeah you know Tormek have reached sharpening nirvana when you get a prosthetic hand as part of the standard package :/)

Ken S

The point is that we didn't and you did. I thought of the plumber with a much larger unit and children's medicine with a much smaller unit. You thought of the "just right" size unit.

Keep thinking. :)

Ken

Herman Trivilino

Quote from: Ken S on July 02, 2016, 04:38:37 AM

Ken, the $69 price includes shipping, even for those without an Amazon Prime account. It's fulfilled by Amazon but sold by Advanced Machinery. If I buy directly from Advanced Machinery the price is $64, but shipping is $9.95 bringing the total cost to $73.95.

Ken S

Herman, the deal from Amazon may not be a bad deal. I know Free Shipping is the present buzz word. However, at that price, a more accurate description would be " shipping included". I am sure you could easily find higher prices online for the same item.

My point is that it is important to know the actual list price for an item, and, as you correctly state, the total price. Advanced Machinery does have free shipping above a certain minimum. By memory it may be one hundred dollars or something in that range. I believe it is essential to shop carefully.

The other thing to consider is whether to buy just the accessory and reuse your present diamond or just purchase the complete new unit. I would decide that on a case by case basis, considering the actual cost difference and the condition of your diamond.

Ken