News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

handbook thoughts

Started by Ken S, June 20, 2016, 10:06:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken S

The Tormek handbook is probably my most used ready reference source. I have it downloaded in ibooks on my ipad and I have four editions in book form. I refer to it often and am rarely disappointed.

The handbook describes the basic operations very well. The original handbook was written by Torgny Jansson and is quite well done. Changes since Torgny's death in 2010 are, in my opinion, less thorough. I believe some of the confusion with the SB-250 blackstone is because the handbook is oriented toward the regular SG grinding wheels. To be well understood, the SB-250 needs more than just a paragraph in the handbook. The redesigned jigs are similar enough to the earlier jigs not to require much change in the handbook. Even the T8 is close enough to the SuperGrind and the T7 not to need much change in the handbook. The new alternative grinding wheels, both the SB and the SJ, really need much better coverage in both the handbook and the videos.

Ken

SharpenADullWitt

One other thing I wish was in the book, give me the parts list and breakdown of the machines.
Favorite line, from a post here:
Quote from: Rob on February 24, 2013, 06:11:44 PM
8)

Yeah you know Tormek have reached sharpening nirvana when you get a prosthetic hand as part of the standard package :/)

Ken S

SADW,

Excellent point. The edition of the handbook (9.5) which was shipped with my  T7 in 2009 did include parts drawings for the T 7 and the 1200, the predecessor of the T3 and T4. Unfortunately, no list of parts for the jigs and accessories was included. Interestingly, the SVH-60 Square Edge Jig (replaced by the SE-76 and recently SE-77) was included and the SVM-140 Long Knife Jig was not.

My oldest handbook, from the mid 1990's, lists parts and descriptions of most of the earlier models. It even includes the earlier grinding wheels.

The handbook edition which was delivered with my T4, edition 9.9, does not include parts lists, although the machine was supplied with a separate parts and safety booklet. Interestingly, this edition contained information about the T3, but not the T4.

In the US, we are able to access good parts drawings for machines, jigs, and accessories at www.advmachinery.com. Advanced Machinery purchased Sharptoolsusa a number of years ago, and continues to be the US source of parts. They are also in the process of restoring Jeff's blog, which is now a primary source of information of modifications of the ten inch Tormek models. The news archive on tormek.com gives a partial history of these developments. It goes back only a few years and for some reason stops in 2014.

A personal request: If anyone has extra unused copies of earlier handbook ediitions, would you please contact me by PM. Thanks.

Related to SADW's thought, I would like to see some drawings and explanation of field stripping the machine to clean and lube the main shaft bushings. A table to note the dates of regreasing might encourage more regular maintenance.

Ken

Dakotapix

Well, Ken, getting the PDFs handbook turned out to be quite a project but I finally did get it after reading your post in this thread. First, I had originally registered my 2000 under a different email address so that was not recognized when I entered my current address so I had to go through the entire process again.

Typically I'll write serial numbers and purchase dates on the inside cover of the manual for any major purchases. I did not do that here so I had to locate all that info. The serial number was right where it was supposed to be. I then found the original invoice from Jeff Farris. I purchased my 2000 at a woodworking show at the Minnesota State Fairgrounds in 2000 for $389.00. Anyway, I now have the current manual stashed in my iBooks library in my iPad, same as you. The original video was in VHS format, no longer available to me. So thanks for starting this thread.

RichColvin

One of the best practices I have been doing for years is to use Evernote for this.  Evernote is a tool that is free unless you wish to pay for larger data usage (in which case it is still a reasonable cost).  You can get it at www.Evernote.com.   Since the Evernote data is stored on the Internet, and replicated to all my "devices" (PCs, iPads, etc.), it is very accessible wherever I need it.  Plus, I can print it out when needed.

For each major tool, I have a note in Evernote which contains :

• Description of the tool, including :  Part number & Serial number (stuff which is particularly useful for insurance purposes or police reports)
  • Purchase information (cost, date, vendor, etc. -- also good for insurance purposes)
  • Preventive maintenance information :  what tasks need to be done, and on what frequencies.  (For these, I have found it useful to reference the page in the manual where this is better explained.)
  • Spare parts information (part numbers, where to get them, etc.)
  • Information and documents that are helpful for maintaining and tuning the machine (e.g., copies of key articles from "Fine Woodworking" that are used for tuning my band saw)
  • Similarly, links to useful YouTube videos
  • A PDF copy of the manual(s) ... Captured at the time I bought the machine
Later today, I will post a copy of what I have for my Tormek, and for a few other sample machines.

Once I have a page in Evernote, I use the Reminders app to remind me to perform the actual maintenance activities.  I generally schedule the PM work every 6 months, though some machines differ (the mower PM is scheduled for each fall, the snow blower every summer).

I'm an old plant guy, so this type of work is 2nd nature to me.  But, I have found it to be very useful to have such a structured approach.

Kind regards,
Rich

P.S., I also use Evernote for documenting information on sharpening.  I've found it very useful to have a page per tool type (e.g., skews, gouges, knives, etc.).  I'll put a copy of these out here on the blog later today also.
---------------------------
Rich Colvin
www.SharpeningHandbook.info - a reference guide for sharpening

You are born weak & frail, and you die weak & frail.  What you do between those is up to you.

Ken S

Thanks, Rich. I will look forward to it!

Ken

Dakotapix

I use Apple's Notes App for this purpose. Sensitive data can now be password protected and it moves from my iPad to my MacBook Air with ease. Seems to me I tried Evernote some years ago but decided I was good with Notes.

Ken S

Rich and Dakotapix,

It seems the more I learn digitally, the more I have learn!

Most of my computer time has been on the ipad recently. With family responsibilities, my time is at odd intervals. I have learned to write my longer posts in pages and then copy paste them to the forum. I lost too much work before going that route.

Dakotapix, your purchasing your Tormek at a woodworking show in 2000 seems much more pleasurable than ordering one online today. Especially purchasing it from Jeff. I do most of my shopping online, however, it seems impersonal and not noteworthy to me. If I was going to purchase a Tormek today, especially as a new user, I would purchase it from Steve Bottorff. (www.sharpeningmadeeasy.com). If at all possible, I would drive to Cleveland to pick it up and meet Steve. The ideal situation, sadly no longer available since Steve's retirement, would be to sign up for his class and bring the new equipment home with me.

For anyone wanting to purchase a Tormek to sharpen knives, I consider it essential to purchase and study Steve's Sharpening School DVD. Study the DVD first; your time and money will be well spent. Sharpening School, as its name implies, is a very close equivalent to actually studying with Steve. It is head and shoulders the best Tormek oriented knife video I have ever seen. I have watched it probably a dozen times and learn more with each watching. It would be a pleasant way to start out.

Ken

RichColvin

OK, I've put some examples out on DropBox with this link to them :

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/p8ajrgfa6xl4c25/AABPW6_UnxqGc66AAlHOZFjsa?dl=0

There is are three regarding machinery :

• band saw
  • lawn trimmer
  • Tormek T2000

There are also three regarding sharpening :

• Chisels
  • Knives
  • Lathe Bowl Gouges

If you feel I've missed something in these, or that I have something wrong.  Please do tell me :  I welcome (and replicate) great ideas !

Kind regards,
Rich
---------------------------
Rich Colvin
www.SharpeningHandbook.info - a reference guide for sharpening

You are born weak & frail, and you die weak & frail.  What you do between those is up to you.

Ken S

I found a pdf of what I believe is edition six of the handbook. I downloaded this (complete version) into ibooks  with the latest version. This edition seems to be ca. 2000.

Ken

http://ec1.images-amazon.com/media/i3d/01/A/man-migrate/MANUAL000005972.pdf

Ken S

I received an email from Sweden's computer division. The content of the VHS is now on Tormek's you tube channel.

Well done, Tormek.

Ken

Here is the link:

https://www.youtube.com/user/TormekSharpening

Ken S

Rich and Dakotapix,

I like your ideas. I can see the value of keeping the info off site, using something like dropbox or one of the various mostly free cloud services.

Two uses come to mind;

1) Insurance claim documentation. I know from personal experience that thieves do steal Tormeks. If you register your Tormek when purchased, Sweden can provide you with the serial. Sweden was very helpful for me. The documentation would also be useful in the event of a fire or flood loss.

2) To assist the person who handles your estate. That person will probably not be Tormek savvy. Being a nice person, I hope whoever purchases my Tormek from my estate also gets things like the truing tool, etc with it.

For these purposes, I would include purchase info including date, cost, and seller. I would group accessories with the main tool.

Ken

mark1

Nice work, Rich! I've been doing woodworking as a hobby for 30 years and I still learned something new from your bandsaw doc.

Dakotapix

That's great to see, Ken. I subscribed to the entire Tormek list. First thing I watched was...you guessed it...the truing tool.

Quote from: Ken S on June 22, 2016, 02:27:30 PM

I received an email from Sweden's computer division. The content of the VHS is now on Tormek's you tube channel.

Well done, Tormek.

Ken

Here is the link:

https://www.youtube.com/user/TormekSharpening

Ken S

A wise first choice, Dakotapix. I think of the truing tool as the foundation. Without a good foundation, the show stuff is shaky. On at least three unexpected occasions, the gremlins that got me were hiding in an untrued wheel!

Ken

ps Good thought about subscribing. I will do that.