News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

thoughts for AndrewLee

Started by Ken S, June 11, 2016, 04:44:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken S

This topic began as the Magnifier topic in drill bit sharpening. It is important, but was becoming very off topic, so I am continuing the non drill bit related part here.

Andrew, I do not mean to be critical of you or discourage you. At your age, I did most of what I am advising you not to do. At my present age, I regret those choices. In my case, the issue was photography, but the scenario is the same.

I have been very involved in photography since age thirteen. As my thirtieth birthday approached, I decided I needed to "upgrade" from my older Pentax camera to a Nikon F or a Leica. I was convinced my photography would improve. Before my thirty first birthday I had both a Nikon and a Leica. Within months I added a 4 x 5 view camera and the full complement of darkroom equipment. Any one of these four paths would have been enough to fill my budget. To "pay" for all four, I started a photo side business. Fortunately, I retained my telephone career. I was always looking for the next piece if equipment which I knew I needed.

In hindsight, I wish I had stayed with my Pentax. I would have had plenty of funds for film, chemicals, paper and mounting board. I would have had the satisfaction of many more meaningful images. Just as woodworking is really about things made of wood rather than tools and gadgets, photography is really about meaningful images.

I suggest you put a moratorium on buying tools. Think about using the tools you already have to learn the craft. Do not worry about making money. Make something special for your wife.

There are many fine books on woodworking at the library. Probably videos, too. Just don't think you have to run out and buy the recommended tools.

You already have the premier sharpening system. With skill, your tools will be razor sharp. Assuming you already have a lathe and basic tools, etc., turning would be an excellent candidate to learn in depth. In depth and very little expenditure for wood.

I suggest you contact Robert Sorby. I heard one of their reps, Chris Pauncy, (a Brit) give an excellent three hour free class at a local woodworking store. Chris is a very accomplished turner. (Just don't buy all the marvelous tools he uses!). Someone asked Chris about becoming a professional turner. Chris made the comment that among the well known UK turners, very few can actually make a living from turning. Most have to do other things for income. See if Sorby can send you a schedule of classes they offer. I would drive out of town for a class; I would not go that far just to see a trade show where you might get a few minutes with the demonstrator.

Don't get discouraged.

Ken

AndrewLee

Lol thanks Ken for your time to bestow me some of your wisdom. A lot of what you've said have rung true in my life already. One of the biggest caveats that apply to me and other younger people who may want to look into woodworking as a hobby ideal will be put off by the cost of getting into this as a hobby - it's an investment more than a hobby.

I have a tormek, I have a jet lathe and the collection of Robert sorby turning tools. I have a router, router jigs for dovetailing and box joinery, drill press, sliding compound mitre saw, drills and God knows what else I've been purchasing. Its a classic case of "all the gear and no idea".

Sorry of I came across as money oriented, I'm not. My personal situation is that right now my job security is very touch and go and I'd love to find a job where I can do something in passionate about. That's where the sharpening idea comes from., the drive at least.

I'm leaning more towards the idea of going to a sharpening workshop. I'm happy with the quality of my knives at the moment but I appreciate that you want to take it to the next level of you want to do it professionally. I need the guidance too -  I have no business experience.

After all is said, id still carry on with woodworking. There's not enough time I can devote to it! I have so much to learn and I feel such a strong sense of accomplishment when I make things.

My bowls are pine,  they're not of a very high level but I get excited knowing I've done something with a bit of scrap wood and turned it into something nice.

I made three bed frames which aren't very intricate but very sturdy. All for family so I didn't do it for money but the pleasure I got from being a craftsman is nothing I've felt before.

Before I got into all of this, I didn't appreciate furniture. Now Im crawling under the table, trying to work out how the crafter put it together. I really respect the art and science that goes into the craft.

I'm still apprehensive about making money from woodworking though, I'll carry on learning to turn regardless but I'm not convinced it's something you'd get rich from. I come from an area where people do the appreciate craft and I can't imagine why anyone would want to buy furniture when  you can get everything for the price of one thing from ikea!

Thank you for taking the time to encourage me Ken, I won't despair too much and hopefully will be on here for a while yet asking for more tips!

Ken S

Andrew,

We will change your status from critical to stable. :)

Ken

AndrewLee

Haha cheers Ken,

On a side note, I have decided to take the plunge and go get training for tool sharpening with Robin Bailey. I'm skeptical still but with some hard work I'm sure I can make a humble business out of it!

If nothing comes of it, I'll tell the missus that some guys off the Internet talked me into it lol

Ken S

Good move, Andrew. In addition to teaching, Robin has run a sharpening business. You should be able to learn both the sharpening and business skills.

Best of look, and we look forward to your posts.

Ken