News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.

www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Truing Procedure

Started by wootz, May 27, 2016, 02:20:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Georgie

Quote from: Ken S on June 28, 2019, 04:46:03 PM
John, I agree.

I happen to have both models of the TT-50. I will keep the 2019 version in my ready access drawer, however, I would be just as happy with the older model. I don't presently have electrical ties on my older TT-50. If a notice a problem, I would install them.
Anyone purchasing a new TT-50 now should insist on getting the 2019 model. (Beware, most of the online photos show the older model.) I would suggest anyone happily using the older version continue with it. If you notice any chatter, it's your call. The new TT-50 costs $93 US. A pack of electrical ties costs less than $5.

Ken

Ken, Whats been your experience with the 2019 version of the TT-50? Has the chattering been eliminated or perhaps persisted but to a much lesser degree? Has the redesign eliminated the need for the zip ties as used by Wootz?

Ken S

George,

Looking at the two versions of the TT-50, the 2019 version looks like a genuine improvement. Over the years I have used the older version with and without the electrical ties. I have never experienced a problem either way. I do not doubt that others have experienced problems with the older design. To the best of my knowledge, the electrical ties solved the problem.

I have three older TT-50s and one 2019 version. I do not plan to replace any of the older versions, however, if I purchase any more in the future, I will stick with the newer version. I am not aware of any problems with the 2019 design.

Ken

08G8V8

Bumping this old thread...

For those using these diamond plates to grade your SG stones in the USA, I am looking for recommendations on where to order from.  I see some on Amazon, but not a ton of reviews, so hard to know if they are junk or not. 

Thanks

John_B

Also look on Ebay they can be found there as well usually for less than Amazon.
Sharpen the knife blade
Hone edge until perfection
Cut with joy and ease

Ken S

Quote from: 08G8V8 on July 09, 2022, 01:48:25 AM
Bumping this old thread...

For those using these diamond plates to grade your SG stones in the USA, I am looking for recommendations on where to order from.  I see some on Amazon, but not a ton of reviews, so hard to know if they are junk or not. 

Thanks

Diamond plates to grade SG stones are a consumible item. If I want quality, I buy DMT. I have also bought some cheaper plates on ebay. Wootz used the cheapest he could find. (He stated this on one of his videos.)
My suggestion would be to buy one DMT and one cheapie. Use both and compare.

Ken