News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.

www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Source For 2" Wide Felt Wheel?

Started by darita, July 07, 2022, 09:45:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Drilon

darita,

the weight of my unused felt wheel form Purui Polishing Products C. is 1496 grams. The weight of the felt wheel from Knife Grinders after about 300 knives is 1472 grams. Colour, the "feeling" and the stamp "rock hard" are identical.  For me both wheels are the same product.

If Knife Grinders still would offer this product I for sure would not publish this information!

Regards,
Drilon

darita

Quote from: Drilon on July 08, 2022, 07:09:27 PM
darita,

the weight of my unused felt wheel form Purui Polishing Products C. is 1496 grams. The weight of the felt wheel from Knife Grinders after about 300 knives is 1472 grams. Colour, the "feeling" and the stamp "rock hard" are identical.  For me both wheels are the same product.

If Knife Grinders still would offer this product I for sure would not publish this information!

Regards,
Drilon

Thank you.  Were Wootz still here, I wouldn't be looking around for another supplier.  Unfortunately, I became truly involved with my Tormek just after KG Wootz passed, but I'm still learning from his YT vids. 

Drilon

darita,
since I follow the sharpening protocol of Vadim:  CBN wheels > leather wheel PA70 > felt wheel 1µm diamond > leather wheel with chromium oxide I constantly get results better 100 BESS with all the usual kitchen knife steels. And this is just the prove that I removed the burr and I get long lasting sharpness.

Keep on studying!
Drilon

Ken S

Quote from: darita on July 08, 2022, 07:02:42 PM
Quote from: Ken S on July 08, 2022, 06:56:28 PM
One of the useful "Tormek helpers" I have found is a three pack of metric fender washers from my local hardware store. They are listed with two dimensions. The first is "12" indicating the size of the bore (the hole). I don't recall the exact number of the outer diameter number. Thirty three or thirty eight comes to mind. This dimension is not critical.

With a two inch wheel, remove the spacer washer on the shaft. In its place, use as many fender washers as needed to provide clearance for the felt wheel from the Tormek frame. The felt wheel is used dry, so having stainless steel is not required.

Incidentally, if you happen to have both a larger Tormek and a T4, these felt wheels will fit on the T4. While the T4 frame is smaller, the water trough is not needed with felt wheels.The area of the shaft used to hold the wheel is almost identical for the 250mm and 200mm models.

Ken

So reading your post, it looks like I can use the 2" felt wheels from DuroFelt, using fender washers?  What has been the consensus on these wheels?

I don't know, as I do not have a two inch wheel. The space occupied by the wheel is the total of the wheel and the spacer. Using a thinner spacer should allow more thread to project. Fender washers are inexpensive. Watch the KG felt wheel video. It shows the original two inch wheel in use. There is not much three showing, however, it worked, even if not up to Vadim's standards. Swapping a fender washer or two should solve the constraint.

darita

Quote from: Drilon on July 08, 2022, 07:38:40 PM
darita,
since I follow the sharpening protocol of Vadim:  CBN wheels > leather wheel PA70 > felt wheel 1µm diamond > leather wheel with chromium oxide I constantly get results better 100 BESS with all the usual kitchen knife steels. And this is just the prove that I removed the burr and I get long lasting sharpness.

Keep on studying!
Drilon

Yes!  I'm trying the do the same.  I'm looking for the video on how to mix and load the Chromium Oxide.

darita

Thanks to all.  I'm in the process of ordering a few felt wheels from Purui.  We're trading emails, as it's not possible to order directly from the site.  Thanks again.