News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Thinning a knife blade

Started by That Sharpening Guy, May 22, 2016, 05:56:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

That Sharpening Guy

Is it possible to thin a knife blade on the Tormek? If it is possible are there any videos on how to properly do it?

Thanks!!

Herman Trivilino

To thin a knife you'd need to grind at a bevel angle that's smaller than what the grinding jigs were designed for. As far as I know.
Origin: Big Bang

wootz

Though Tormek is not a primary tool for this, I remember a post on bladeforums.com about grinding a knife from a blank with Tormek.
Now and then I grind false edges on Tormek to turn the knife into a double-edged.

So yes, it is possible, but is it practical? I 'd use Tormek for a one-off job, and only if I don't have a belt grinder/sander.

Here is a link illustrating a saber flat grind modified into hollow on T7, check post #7
http://www.australianbladeforums.com/vb4/the-military-connection/21180-1940s-cattarraugus-225q-quartermasters-knife.html?highlight=#post204533