News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

DVD 2.0

Started by Hatchcanyon, May 21, 2016, 12:54:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hatchcanyon

We got a DVD with the T7 with some video sequences in a folder named VIDEO_TS. Another folder named "AUDIO_TS" is completely empty.

On out computer - Windows 10 - none of the data files on the disc ( . VOB, .IFO, .BUP) are playable. what may be the reason?

Rolf
German with a second home in the American Southwestern Desert - loves Old England too.

RichColvin

Rolf,

Most PCs have CD drives, not DVD drives.  DVD disks are not accessible in a CD drive, but CDs will work in a DVD drive. 

If you have a CD drive, you will have to watch the video on your TV via the DVD (or Blueray) player.

That is my first guess, diagnosing this with little information.

Kind regards,
Rich
---------------------------
Rich Colvin
www.SharpeningHandbook.info - a reference guide for sharpening

You are born weak & frail, and you die weak & frail.  What you do between those is up to you.

Hatchcanyon

Hi Rich,

thanks for the quick answer!

Haven't seen any computer with CD only drives for years here in Germany. DVD is standard and my computer has a Blue Ray drive that is capable of all formats. Trying to play one of these video sequence the computer tells me that they are of an unknown data tye.

Rolf
German with a second home in the American Southwestern Desert - loves Old England too.

Inuwashi

Use a DVD player connected to your TV.
If you don't have one do the following:
1, download VLC player to your PC. It's a free and very good multimedia player.
2, install it
3, go to Media>>open folder
4, navigate to the VIDEO_TS folder and open it
5, enjoy

The DVD is in this format because it has a clickable menu inside if I remember correctly.

Ken S

Rolf,

Do not worry. I contacted Sweden. Sweden advised me to have you contact Affinity Tool. They may have thought, like I did, that you had emigrated to the US. If you are still living in Germany, you might try contacting Tormek's Agent for Germany, as listed on the "where to buy". I cannot imagine Tormek not replacing the DVD if it is defective.

Before going that route, are you able to play anything from your DVD? I am a mac user and no longer familiar with the PC world. We do have members who are well versed in PC. Weekends are usually slow on the forum. Let's see what happens in the next week. In the meantime, much of the DVD can be assessed online at tormek.com.

Ken

Herman Trivilino

Quote from: Hatchcanyon on May 21, 2016, 12:54:33 PM
We got a DVD with the T7 with some video sequences in a folder named VIDEO_TS. Another folder named "AUDIO_TS" is completely empty.

On out computer - Windows 10 - none of the data files on the disc ( . VOB, .IFO, .BUP) are playable. what may be the reason?

You need to play those files with a piece of software designed for playing DVD's. Apparently Windows won't play them, although Windows Media Player should.

I think that YouTube and the Tormek web site would be better sources for Tormek videos, anyway.
Origin: Big Bang

SharpenADullWitt

Agreed.  Windows does NOT have dvd/Bluray video software licensing codec's in it, to be able to play them.  VLC is a cross platform software that is freely available, and you as the user accept the risk if it is illegal to use the dvd codec in your country.
Store bought players have the codecs embedded into them, where they are not available to be modified by people without specialized software and equipment.
Favorite line, from a post here:
Quote from: Rob on February 24, 2013, 06:11:44 PM
8)

Yeah you know Tormek have reached sharpening nirvana when you get a prosthetic hand as part of the standard package :/)

grepper

It is not uncommon for the Audio TS folder to be empty.

+ 1 for getting VLC.  It will play the Video TS folder files.

Open the Video_TS folder.  There you will see Video_TS.IFO.  You should be able to play that with VLC.

The complete video is broken into separate .VOB files.  VLC will play those too, but they are just the whole video broken into parts.  So unless you want to play just a part, play the Video_TS.IFO with VLC for the complete DVD.

VLC is the best.  I use it all the time.  Great FREE app! It's well known, respected and been around forever.  You can't go wrong with VLC.

You can get VLC here:
http://www.videolan.org/vlc/index.html

Of course you could just pitch the DVD into a DVD player.

Hatchcanyon

Thanks to all!

The advices solved the problem! Now I installed the VLC media player. It works perfect!

Rolf