News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.

www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Leather wheel bump

Started by yargnoj, May 18, 2016, 08:21:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yargnoj

Hey folks, I'm a bit new here, but have been lurking in the shadows learning.

I just unboxed my T-7 last night and took it for a test run. I have been sharpening on Norton Whetstones for a few years now and I saved up a knife set to sharpen for one of my coworkers to test out on the new machine. I'm impressed. Much longer to change angles and all, but once there, it is nice that it stays the same. The things are sharp though, granted, not quite as sharp as my 8000 grit Norton and 0.5 micron strop, but the process was mighty fast.

Anyways, for the reason of this post, I have noticed that the seam where the leather is sewn/glued together on the honing wheel has a bump to it. I can almost guarantee that it has no negative affect on my finish, but it does bother me. Has anyone come across this and/or thing of any solutions other than 'get use to it'?

Regards,

Jon

Ken S

Welcome to the forum, Jon. I always like to see lurkers join us at the campfire.

A sanding sponge (black foamlike thing with abrasive) will level your bump in short order. You are not the first bump victim. Fortunately, the fix is quick.

Keep posting!

Ken

Ken S

The product is also called a 3M Sanding block. It is available in different grits. I would start with a medium. I have not personally experienced the problem. What I offer is the standard advice. Perhaps those who have had the problem will post their thoughts.

Ken

grepper

If you don't happen to have a "sanding sponge" handy,  plain old sand paper worked for me.  It's just leather... pretty easy to remove.

Rhino

I bought the same sanding sponge from Amazon and I seem to remember I got free shipping.  Either the order was big enough with other stuff or I am a prime member.  I like that because I don't even have to get out of the house.  Just sharing - maybe I can save you some effort. 

I don't derive any benefits from Amazon - any other mail order would be about the same. 

Stickan

Hi,
The bump will soften down after some use and should not be noticeable after some use.

There is always a bit of a learning process with the leather honingwheel and when you have got it right I am pretty sure that you will find the edge to work as good as you want it.
This video shows it pretty well.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3n4GzXVQvUE

Best,
Stig