News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.

www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Notification about new jigs

Started by Jan, April 26, 2016, 03:54:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jan

Today, for the first time, I was notified about the new Tormek square jig and the updated gouge jig. The notification was given from Tormek AB info@tormek.se to the email address that I put on my T7 purchase order. Thank you, Tormek.  :)

As already discussed here, I think it would be a good service for forum members. 

Jan

jeffs55

I think it is near unthinkable that the forum moderator is one of the last to know.
You can use less of more but you cannot make more of less.

Ken S

Jeff, I totally agree. Unfortunately, that was the case in the past. We were not notified. Usually one of us stumbled upon the information elsewhere and shared it on the forum.

I do not believe Tormek intentionally kept us in the dark. Hopefully it was a series of oversights.

I hope the new square edge jig is the first of the new order where the forum, the loyal customer base, receives updates simultaneously with the dealers. Incidentally , Jan, I am pleased you received notification from Tormek AB. I am supposed to receive the same notification, however, mine has not yet arrived. For the first time, I knew about the new jig before receiving the mass email from Affinity Tool.

I believe we are making progress.

Ken

SharpenADullWitt

I don't on the moderator.

He was made a moderator, since he is a frequent poster, in an effort to help with spam control and since he checks in often, with any troubling posts or posters.
He would not be a primary moderator, but a first line moderator.  Jeff Farris is still a moderator, but the primary one is a corporate one, who works for Tormek, probably knew about the jig, and they didn't have to try to get a NDA or something in place. 
Jeff is no longer connected with Tormek, so he is out of the loop (and chasing other interests, except maybe as the longest user of this board).
Not sure how you think he is the last to know, as Ken posted about it, when he first saw it on their website.  (when it was official and they can tell him to check the site often for announcements, without all the legal requirements/ramifications) He wrote the thread.
I still need to look for a video on the new jig, as I am still wondering if the base of the 76 is the same as the 77, and if there will be an upgrade kit, verses a whole new one.  (or just getting another Tormek when the T-8 hits)

Edit, also received the email from Tormek, itself.   Not sure if it was through here or was the email I used to download the manual.
Favorite line, from a post here:
Quote from: Rob on February 24, 2013, 06:11:44 PM
8)

Yeah you know Tormek have reached sharpening nirvana when you get a prosthetic hand as part of the standard package :/)

Jan

Jeffs55, Ken for me many forum members are de facto an unofficial Tormek fan club, and such a group surely deserves to be notified about news timely.  :)

The recent notification was not given to my forum private email address, but to the email address that I put on my T7 purchase order some two years ago.

Jan

jeffs55

Not sure how you think he is the last to know, as Ken posted about it, when he first saw it on their website.

Because he had to "see" it on their website. I think a forum moderator is in the loop enough to be told about new items before he "reads" it in the paper? I also think that he would be a prime candidate to test drive anything new.

SharpenADullWitt

I do not know what he agreed to when accepting the moderator job.  Even if he was allowed to know, as I said, there are legal implications, and early disclosure could have EXPENSIVE side effects.
I agree I would like to see him have the opportunity to test and maybe aquire an occassional sample.  I also expect that since he has demonstrated, they would allow him to try one at a demo.  But in the end, it comes down to what they agreed to.
Favorite line, from a post here:
Quote from: Rob on February 24, 2013, 06:11:44 PM
8)

Yeah you know Tormek have reached sharpening nirvana when you get a prosthetic hand as part of the standard package :/)

Ken S

Some things in this topic are correct and some are incorrect. I shall try to set the record straight:

I was offered a moderator position mostly because I have encouraged and welcomed new members. I am also diplomatic. Jeff Farris, the former moderator, nominated me. For the record, Jeff Farris no longer has any relationship with Tormek or the forum. He parted ways with Tormek in 2010. At the request of the CEO, he remained the forum moderator until mid 2014.

Primary moderator responsibility remains in Sweden. I can remove spam and unsuitable posts. Sweden must remove spam members. I routinely send spam reports to Sweden.

I have come to realize that part of the non notification problem is that att email addresses and the forum format do not always play nicely. I have added a gmail address and encourage other members to do so.

I have no contract with Tormek. My position arose from emails and a telephone call with Stig. I receive no salary. Stig and I have gotten to know each other well enough to occasionally share information not for public consumption. We both respect and value that trust.

I have occasionally received Tormek products. This actually began when I met Stig and a representative of Affinity Tool, the US distributor. I made the comment that I felt the New T4 was getting a lot of undeserved bad comments on the forum by members who had never seen one. I offered to do a review of the T4 if they loaned me one. They accepted. I have written extensively about the T4 on the forum. I was uncertain of the ownership of "my" T4. I have never registered it. I still have it and have been informed by another source that the product is the compensation for the review. At this point, I regard it as mine and well earned. My review was honest and thorough. Also, to the best of my knowledge, I am the only active poster who has used both a T 7 and a T4.

All this with the T4 occurred before I became moderator.

I have also been given a rubber mat and an SVD-186 gouge jig, both of which I have reviewed. I expect to receive an SE-77 and a T8. I will write reviews for both on the forum. Lest anyone be jealous, the equipment is the only perk I receive for being moderator. I feel I have earned it and no longer consider it a loan.

Good observation, Jan. I agree that that one function, but not the omly function, of this forum is to be the unofficial fan club. I also believe we provide more complete and unbiased information about the Tormek than other sources.

My use of the word oversight was intentional. I have diplomatically pushed for better and more timely information from Sweden. In this case, I did learn about the SE-77 from a premature website posting. I have sent an email to Sweden requesting the att email address I used to register my T7 be removed and replaced with my gmail address.  ( Nothing against att. There is just a glitch somewhere which prevents mail from Tormek and the forum from reaching my att address.)

Jeff, I expect to have an SE-77 soon and a T8 fairly soon. I will post whatever I learn about them. As always, do not hesitate to ask questions.

If anyone else has questions about my position as moderator, please speak up.

Ken

Jan

Ken, thanks for the detailed description of your relationship with Tormek AB. It is correct that you get a reward for the service you carry out in favour of Tormek. I think that a review of a new jig may sometimes be more valuable than the price of this jig.

I think your openness will dispell any possible doubts.  :)

Jan

Ken S

jeffs55

I am glad you set the record straight, I was always curious about Jeff Farris' departure. I figured his contract just ran out. Like, maybe he sold the company and agreed to moderate the forum for "x" number of years. I see that he must have agreed to not say anything else on the forum. I wonder is he still listed on the members list? Anyway, keep up the good work Ken. I want you to have first hand knowledge of new items through some "hands on" as you tell it like it is.

bobl

Ken,
You should never feel that you have to explain yourself, along with other great contributors to this forum. You and a few others have been of an amazing help to people like me who have started with the Tormek as a virgin and now have a good working knowledge
( with plenty more to learn ), thanks to you good people.
You and the guys who are as well knowledged that have posted and replied, deserve a medal in my book.
This is a perfect opportunity for me to say " Thank You ".
Please keep it up.
P.S.
I will let you know how my new Blackstone works on the next carvery restaurant I do on the weekend.
Bless you all.
Bob ( The Knife Grinder ) 

Ken S

Thanks, Jeff. I always try to "tell it like it is". I hope an open minded reader of my posts would feel that I am both one of the chief Tormek cheerleaders and also one of the chief critics. I believe the forum grows from questions and comments. I value your comments, Jeff. They help keep the forum honest!

Bob, I think it is essential as moderator to be wiling to explain myself. While I have spent and continue to spend a lot of time studying, my sharpening skills (the hand knowledge) are not far from most of the newer members on the forum. Actually, I feel that helps in my posts. I have experienced the same problems the newbies are going through. They are still fresh in my mind.

Someone recently posted that I overthink things. I agree, and don't plan to change. :)

Keep posting!

Ken

Ken S

Jan and SADW,

You posted that you received email notification from Tormek AB about the new square edge jig. Did you also happen to receive notice about the redesigned SVS-50 Multi Jig and SVS Short Tool Jig? I hope you did.

If you did, then Tormek AB is sending notification, and my lack of notification was an email glitch. The glitch seems to an incompatibility between the forum program and att mail addresses. (Mine was an @sbcglobal.net, which is part of att.) I solved this problem by adding a gmail mail box.

I also registered my T4 using my gmail address. I noticed that older models can be registered. I would encourage everyone to register, even if your Tormek is out of warranty. There was even an option of just signing up for notifications on the registration tab.

Making progress.

Ken

Jan

Ken, until now I was notified only once. I have received notification about the new Tormek Square Edge Jig SE-77 and about new video: Alan Holtham review SVD-186.

I did not received notice about the redesigned SVS-50 Multi Jig or SVS Short Tool Jig.

Jan