News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Any information on the new T-8 coming out?

Started by Erich Wise, April 15, 2016, 03:42:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jan

Ken, you are correct, circa is related to Latin circus circle.  :)

Unlike Roman Britain, the territory of my country was never governed by the Roman Empire, but of course was influenced by it. The northern margin of the Roman Empire in Central Europe was defined by the river Danube and in Vindobona (now Vienna, Austria) the legion X Gemina of the Imperial Roman army was stationed.

On our territory we have some archaeological artefacts, e.g. bricks with the seal of X legion. They are circa 2000 years old.  :)

http://www.rimskelegie.olw.cz/pictures/articles/legincz/brickssm.jpg

Jan

P.S.: From the sharpener's point of view the legionary's personal weapons are interesting. They were two javelins, a sword and a dagger. The Gladius - sword was light and only some 50 cm long, it was worn on the right side which enabled to be drawn without interfering with the shield which was carried by the left hand. The pugio – dagger was a small dagger which was worn on the left side.

Ken S

Fascinating post, Jan.

I have enjoyed finding many very well done BBC type history video series online. Digital graphics is an excellent way to show several legions lining up ( much lower actors' payments!) :)

History can teach us so much if we are only wise enough to learn.

Ken

SharpenADullWitt

Quote from: Jan on April 20, 2016, 08:40:20 AM
The magnetic field strength which attracts the steel particles is practically the same in water and in the air, but water viscosity of course exerts much larger resistance to particles movement than the air.

Jan

More resistance, means they loose force,and slow down.  Hence longer time to be attracted to or direction influenced by the magnetic field (in the case of some mixed metal blades).
I too have to say thank you.

Also, with these threads about the new T8 and all the new attachments, I am tempted to go ahead and get a second Tormek (new) and give the old one to dad, taking his clone for one of the CBN stones, for rough work. (still think the lack of heat is better then a bench grinder, which is good for making and modifying things for the garage/shop).
Favorite line, from a post here:
Quote from: Rob on February 24, 2013, 06:11:44 PM
8)

Yeah you know Tormek have reached sharpening nirvana when you get a prosthetic hand as part of the standard package :/)