News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.

www.tormek.com

Main Menu

The Tormek SB-250 Blackstone

Started by bobl, April 20, 2016, 03:47:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bobl

Hi Guys,
Its Bob The Knife Grinder.
I have a question. After a year on this amazing machine I have come to the time to re-new my grinding wheel.
Most of the work is Chefs carving knives and utility knives. Should I renew the wheel with the SG-250.
Or
Should I try the SB-250 Blackstone. ?  I am thinking that the Blackstone may be a bit quicker for the carving knives that are being cut through meat on to a steel surface, as opposed to being used on a board.
What do you think?
Cheers
Bob

Ken S

Hi, Bob. Glad you're back.
It's just my opinion. I would try the SB. I would suggest retiring the original SG while there is still some useful life in it. You may want to do some comparison of your own. From what I gather, the SB works better with a lighter touch.

Steve Bottorff uses the SB wheel in his sharpening business. Steve's thoughts carry a lot of weight for me.

Do keep us posted.

Ken

bobl

Thanks Ken.
I will try the Blackstone.
I will keep you all posted as to its progress.
Cheers.
Bob

Ken S

If your business relies on it, do not procrastinate. Order a new wheel.  If it was me, I would go with the blackstone.

Ken

Ken S

PS

Next time, don't cut it so close. :)

Ken

bobl

Ken, as usual you are right.
I have left it a bit late.
I will try the SB-250
Will tell you how it goes mate.
All the best.
Bob.