News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

"Dualing Tormeks" you tube

Started by Ken S, March 30, 2016, 02:09:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken S

I found an interesting Tormek related you tube today. Search "dualing tormeks you tube" to find it.

The presenter does a good job of sharpening a chip carving knife with two Tormeks. One Tormek has an SG-250 graded fine. The second Tormek has an SJ-250. I have not found many good Tormek related carving videos. I like this one.

Enjoy, and if you know of others or  have an opinion, please post.

Ken

mrware

Thanks for posting that Ken.  Running two would be costly, but if you are selling your work, whatever makes you more productive is generally a good investment.  I've long wanted the Japanese wheel and if I get to the point I could absorb the cost of a second machine, I would do it in a heart beat.   Tjåsa Gusfors in the "friends section" also runs a second Tormek for just that reason.  http://tormek.com/international/en/about-tormek/tormek-friends/.

I carve and use a Tormek so I'll try to post things I run across or tips I've found for using the Tormek for carving tools.

Ken S

One of the benefits of the forum is helping me see the logical connection between two things I already know individually. mrware, your post did that. Using two Tormeks provides more than two grinding wheels; it also provides two leather honing wheels.

I have done experimental work using a second (separate) leather honing wheel using valve grinding compound instead of the standard Tormek honing compound. The results were positive. The Tormek compound produces a higher level of polish, however, the valve grinding compound cuts more aggressively. The two honing wheels are quickly changed, however, using two Tormeks would be even quicker.

My tests are not conclusive yet. Based on initial results, I believe using the VGC loaded honing wheel might serve as a workable substitute for the stone grader in some situations. It also might serve as a more aggressive honing wheel for restoring full sharpness to carving tools. Used in conjunction with the regular Tormek compound on the second honing wheel, one would have the  best of both worlds.

Also, almost all of the benefits may be obtained with adding just the second leather honing wheel and some valve grinding compound for a grand investment total of around seventy dollars US.

Ken