News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Knife Jigs Solution

Started by wootz, March 16, 2016, 08:05:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RickKrung

Quote from: wootz on October 06, 2018, 01:51:52 PM
...snip...
Dr. Werner also shared his other gimmicks, e.g. for setting the grinding angle with our applet he advised the depth caliper as on the photo, and we use them now.

Wootz,

Thank you so very much for posting this method from Dr. Werner.  I liked it before and decided to bite the bullet and get a depth caliper.  I went for digital.  It arrived today and I am very excited.  I really like the wide base and was anticipating using it to help with aligning the caliper relative to the USB top. 

With my existing method of using a marking gage, I had been wanting some method of keeping the shaft parallel with the USB vertical but had not really come up with anything I liked.  Quite a while ago, I had bought an extra USB but it came without the micro-adjust.  Recently, I ordered four so I would have some extras.  As I set about playing with the depth caliper tonight, and thinking about wanting to keep it parallel, it dawned on me to put a second micro-adjust at the top of the threads and use both as parallel spacers.  Works fantastic. 

An added beneficial feature of the caliper is the angle or bevel at the foot.  The bevel keeps the foot away from the radius in the casting at the base of the USB mount, allowing the foot to register more accurately on the top of the casting.  The combination of the bevel, the "spacer" micro-adjusts and the wide base makes for nearly perfect parallel alignment with the USB vertical post and perpendicular with the machine case and USB top. 

I tried running the bottom micro-adjust up and down to see what the range of rotation was when the caliper was well lined up.  I was very pleasantly surprised that it was extremely precise.  For example, the wheel landed at almost exactly the same place, just off the left, lower corner of the numeral "1" with very little variance. 

This is definitely faster and more consistent than my marking gage method.  I am thrilled with this and the fact that using the caliper, setting of the USB height will now be direct rather than indirect. 

Thanks again for the seed on this. 

Rick
Quality is like buying oats.  If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes at a lower price.

wootz

Think you for sharing, Rick. I keep learning from you. Will email Dr. Werner your photo and description.

wootz

Werner's little inventions have the impress of genius, it won't be fair to keep all to myself.
Another gimmick from Dr. Werner - magnetic truing tool (the magnet ball used instead of cable ties)

PS
Dr.Werner is PhD in low energy atomic collisions, and one of our happy German customers, one of very few who knows how to sharpen microtome blades  :o

Drilon

Hello Wootz and Rick, using a second micro-adjust to adjust the caliper is a good idea. Unfortunately it doesn't work with the T7 as the base holding the USB is 1mm too wide in diameter.
Regards,
Drilon

RickKrung

Quote from: Drilon on October 18, 2018, 08:29:31 PM
Hello Wootz and Rick, using a second micro-adjust to adjust the caliper is a good idea. Unfortunately it doesn't work with the T7 as the base holding the USB is 1mm too wide in diameter.
Regards,
Drilon

That being true, you apparently cannot use the caliper to set the USB height directly from any given "distance" number, be that from a script like Wootz's or other.  Would it not work to simply adjust that number to compensated for the offset of the USB base? 

Wootz has and uses a T7 I'm pretty sure, as I think I've seen photos of it on his site and in his postings.  He must have a way of doing it as he does use calipers.  I'm sure he will chime in. 

Rick
Quality is like buying oats.  If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes at a lower price.