News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Supergrind 2000

Started by That Sharpening Guy, February 04, 2016, 11:24:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SharpenADullWitt

I can see the drying out aspect, and have debated about trying that (putting it in front of a fan).  But where is your Tormek stored, in relation to your tools?
For me the maintenance is the bigger issue, not having the tools handy to the Tormek, the tool free nature means it is more apt to get done, sooner/more often.
My shaft was rusted and chrome had flaked off.   The original owner (that died of cancer), had chipped the original stone, getting it off the shaft (and replaced it).  With my hectic life, I didn't feel the need for that to happen to me.  Personal preference, my time/money, values.
I also am planning on buying another stone (haven't decided which).
This reminds me, I should get the nut for the other end at some point.  Mine didn't have it, as the turning kit was with my Tormek, including the leather profile wheels for the outside.  (when they need replacement, I would like to have the nut handy, while waiting for parts.  Keeps the machine in running order for the cost of the nut, then.
Favorite line, from a post here:
Quote from: Rob on February 24, 2013, 06:11:44 PM
8)

Yeah you know Tormek have reached sharpening nirvana when you get a prosthetic hand as part of the standard package :/)

jeffs55

Ken, the T7 is rated for continuous use. Do you not think that the stone in continuous movement will dry faster than a stationary stone? I would think that the more exposure caused by the greater air flow across the surface would make it so. Maybe exposure is not the right word as the surface area does not change. I am thinking like if you put a frozen object into a mass of water, the water is denser and therefore bleeds cold away from the frozen object faster than air. At the minimum, there is more air movement and consequently faster evaporation. Certainly we are not talking about 24/7 on time, but a few hours should not be out of the question.
You can use less of more but you cannot make more of less.

SharpenADullWitt

You would be dealing with friction of a moving object (evaporate quicker), centrifugal force (pushing water towards the outside), exposure of the surfaces that the machine doesn't cover, etc.  It should dry out quicker, but one would have to run tests to determine how much.
Favorite line, from a post here:
Quote from: Rob on February 24, 2013, 06:11:44 PM
8)

Yeah you know Tormek have reached sharpening nirvana when you get a prosthetic hand as part of the standard package :/)

Ken S

Jeff,

I recall this topic came up before. Someone weighed a stone after a period of running dry versus not being run dry. As I recall (surprisingly) running dry didn't make any appreciable difference. 

You may be right about the continuous duty stone. However, I have found both the SB and SJ stones do not dry quickly. Neither do the Norton 3X stones. I believe they are actually designed to be run dry, so drying may be more important with them. After several days drying in a 50% humidity basement, the stones still caused the cardboard boxes to get damp.

Removing the stones and hanging them to dry only takes a few seconds (with the EZYlock). It makes it easier to keep both the Tormek and the area under it, including the rotating base, dry. I do not consider this a "must do procedure". I just do it and I think it helps.

Ken

Herman Trivilino

The moisture is deep inside the grindstone. I doubt there's much you can do to speed up the drying process, other than making sure it's not immersed.
Origin: Big Bang

Ken S

SADW,

"But where is your Tormek stored, in relation to your tools?" (Your question earlier in this topic). The bolt hooks I made for my metal shelves are within three feet of where I use the Tormek. They are for all practical purposes as convenient as the hooks on the work station. I spend much more time walking across the basement to get water and clean the tray than I do getting the grinding wheels.

Ken