News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Clamping a dagger in the knife jig

Started by wootz, February 02, 2016, 07:29:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wootz

I sharpen daggers freehand, because they present a clamping problem with all guided sharpeners I know: Tormek, Lansky, DMT Aligner blade guide, and Razor-Edge guide. I don't have Wicked Edge, but their forum reads similar - the convex blade makes it difficult clamping a dagger.
Even when I thought I managed to fasten the blade in the jig, as I started sharpening, it crept out.

For a good minute I stared at the flat space by the ricasso... but dismissed the idea.   :o

Then I guessed that placing narrow shims on the sides of the dagger, narrower than the clamp depth, may extend contact area and improve the grip somehow...
Tormek knife jig depth is 12mm.
I used two 10mm wide feelers as shims.
And to my surprise it worked! The dagger sits in the jig like welded.

A few photos taken when bevelling the dagger.

Ken S

Jan

Thanks Wootz for sharing your clever solution of the dagger clamping problem!  :)

I agree with you that a tapered knife creeping out of the knife jig during sharpening is very annoying situation.  >:(

To your successful solution probably contributed the small longitudinal fuller often called "blood groove", but the stabilizing role of suitable shims was surely inevitable.

Jan

SharpenADullWitt

Good job finding a solution.

Might I ask if you considered a piece of leather, like an old belt?  (tighten more at the high part and fatten out at the low)
Favorite line, from a post here:
Quote from: Rob on February 24, 2013, 06:11:44 PM
8)

Yeah you know Tormek have reached sharpening nirvana when you get a prosthetic hand as part of the standard package :/)

wootz

Quote from: SharpenADullWitt on February 02, 2016, 06:43:59 PM

Might I ask if you considered a piece of leather, like an old belt?  (tighten more at the high part and fatten out at the low)

A piece of leather or rubber should work probably, I'll give it a try with the next dagger.
But for this one I have to stick to shims as I also have to center the edge in the clamp, e.g. for this particular dagger I had to put a 0.5mm feeler on one side, and 0.4mm on another.

wootz

Quote from: SharpenADullWitt on February 02, 2016, 06:43:59 PM

Hi SharpenADullWitt,

Just wanted to thank you for the hint.
Today I had to do another dagger, and with a suede scrap it clamped firm enough for the job.
Have to mention, the dagger slipped out when I tried a piece of upholstery leather.
Suede is easier to handle than shims, plus it protects the blade from scratches.

wootz

The picture below shows how to clamp a dagger with a scrap of suede, or any sloping edge, for this case.
1. Plaster band to protect blade from the clamp jaws.
2. A scrap of suede, for Tormek knife jig it is 2cm wide.
3. A shim to bring the blade to the clamp centreline - this may be needed  to grind symmetrical bevel when the blade centreline is offset relatively to the clamp centreline.