News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

T4 Run Time

Started by Wdcarver55, January 30, 2016, 01:34:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wdcarver55

It's my understanding the T4 cannot be ran continuously for more than 30 minutes. For a new user that doesn't seem very long due to the learning curve. What was your experience when you were a new user?

FYI: while corresponding with Affinity Tool Works In February Tormek will have a promotion on the T7 with 10% off. Also found out Tormek does not sell refurbished units any more, not sure whe that went into affect.

Greg
Have a good one
Greg

If your a carver let the chips fly......

Elden

Ken is one of the few known T4 owner's on the forum. He should be along before long to reply. I do know he does not agree with the 30 minute recommendation. Here is a quote of one of his several references in regard to the 30 minute issue.

"I have had a chance to use the T4 and T7 side by side.  I began this review with the notion that the T4 might be more of a lighter duty machine; that the smaller wheel and fifty per cent duty motors would be constraints; that the smaller machine would not cut as fast as the T7; and with questions about the mostly plastic housing.

These preconceptions have not stood up after use.  I have not found the "fifty percent duty" motor to be a realistic constraint. Even during several continuous comparative five minute grinding tests,  the top of the housing showed no signs of overheating. Eventually, the zinc housing did get somewhat warm, but not to an extent which was uncomfortable for my fingers or gave me concern. My hands tired long before the Tormek might have shown any signs of needing a rest."

Ken has much to say about the T4 in the General Tormek Questions section.

http://forum.tormek.com/index.php?topic=2426.msg12166#msg12166
is one of his posts.
Elden

SharpenADullWitt

Not sure about cannot, as I have never heard one auto shutting off.

The duty cycle has to do with heat.  They recommend run for  30 minutes and let sit for 30 minutes.  There have been a few posts here, and I believe they demo'd one along side the T7 at a woodworking show.  When you initially get a Tormek, you tend to have a lot of tools to do.   After doing them, it is less often.  That is different if your doing sharpening for a living.
Favorite line, from a post here:
Quote from: Rob on February 24, 2013, 06:11:44 PM
8)

Yeah you know Tormek have reached sharpening nirvana when you get a prosthetic hand as part of the standard package :/)

Ken S

The T4 has a 120 watt motor. The T7 has a 200 watt motor. There is no doubt that the T7 has more power. However, how much power do we need?

As I have stated before, I am not convinced the alleged "fifty per cent duty" is a real world constraint. I have run my T4 for longer periods with no perceived ill effects. I have verified with both Tormek and Affinity Tool (my importer in the US) that a burned out motor within the guaranty period will be replaced at no charge. i am not worried. I think common sense should dictate which model Tormek to choose. For anyone sharpening planer blades, the T7 makes sense. The wider grinding wheel of the T7 is convenient for sharpening turning gouges. For more mobile sharpening of knives, woodworking tools and carving tools, the T4 is much easier to carry.

I have reshaped a turning gouge with the T4. If I was doing much of it, I would definitely opt for the larger Tormek. I have moved my T7 around the shop. There is no bad choice with Tormek, however, depending on the use, one or the other model might be a better choice. In either case, the jigs are all interchangeable.

I have discouraged choosing by price. With the upcoming sale mentioned by woodcarver, the difference in cost is minimal. I would still choose on expected realistic use.

SADW, the zinc top of the T4 is a much better heat diffuser than the plastic top of the T3.

Ken