News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Honing wheel refurbishment

Started by topconker, January 17, 2016, 08:43:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

topconker

Yet another question guys, I'm wondering if the honing wheel on my Tormek may need replacing but wonder can it be refurbished? Had anyone done this before.
TC

jeffs55

The honing wheel must over time become impregnated with small metal filings and honing compound. Unless there is some way to raise the nap, I do not foresee rejuvenation of the honing wheel. However, you may be able to scrape the honing wheel with a blunt edged object to remove caked on compound and metal particles. Even then you risk removing the rough textures of the honing wheel which  holds the honing compound in place. Finally, the honing wheel in still impregnated with honing compound and then becomes a leather strop. It will still be useful far into the future but only for fine honing. It may or may not completely remove a "burr".
You can use less of more but you cannot make more of less.

grepper

A light sanding with fairly rough sand paper works.

SharpenADullWitt

I couldn't find the link, and it appears some posts have been moved.  Wondering if some have been removed (know of one other that I expected to).
There was one party to run one through the dishwasher, but since the post is gone, all I can say I remember for sure was they were surprised at the results and other posters were surprised the guys wife hadn't neutered him.
Favorite line, from a post here:
Quote from: Rob on February 24, 2013, 06:11:44 PM
8)

Yeah you know Tormek have reached sharpening nirvana when you get a prosthetic hand as part of the standard package :/)

SharpenADullWitt

Favorite line, from a post here:
Quote from: Rob on February 24, 2013, 06:11:44 PM
8)

Yeah you know Tormek have reached sharpening nirvana when you get a prosthetic hand as part of the standard package :/)

grepper

If a little sandpaper doesn't work and using the dishwasher is under consideration, it seems to me that about the same thing could be accomplished with some dish soap and a little brushing.  A lot like the instructions on shampoo.  Wash, rinse, repeat.

I've always wondered why shampoo really needs instructions.  But then, true story, I actually read a warning label on the side of a car battery; "Do Not Drink".  Umm..., well..., sigh.  In the same vein, what's up with shampoo?  Why don't they sell real poo?

Of course that would leave the leather totally dry and it should get a fresh dose of oil like breaking in a new wheel.

jeffs55

Did you know that in small quantities battery electrolyte is not unpleasant tasting? How do I know? Well I once had a dead lawn mower battery and attempted to jump it off with one of those trickle chargers. It had a setting for a powerful charge which I assumed was for just such a thing. I hooked it up and the battery literally exploded after just a few seconds. I was still leaned over it when it did. The juice went all over including a tiny drop into my mouth, lip tongue or somewhere that I got its taste. I don't recall hardly burning as I grabbed some paper towels and began rapidly wiping myself off. But, the juice has an acidic flavor like souped up lemonade. Darwin almost got me.
You can use less of more but you cannot make more of less.

topconker

Used the sandpaper method and the wheel is like new.
TC