News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.

www.tormek.com

Main Menu

sharpening kindergarten scissors

Started by Ken S, September 26, 2016, 03:42:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken S

I have volunteered to sharpen the scissors at the Montessori school my grandchildren attend. I have sharpened a few scissors, but never kindergarten scissors. I do not anticipate any problems. The art teacher would like them sharp, as they frequently cut cloth with them.

Has anyone sharpened these scissors before?

Thanks,

Keno

stevebot

They will initially be near 0% because they are basically stamped. Sharpening them at 5% will give excellent results. Keep the tips rounded, that is the safety issue that lead to the legendary "Never run with scissors" caution.  The annual Run with Scissors here in Cleveland flaunts that wisdom as well as encouraging a really stupid idea  of running a double marathon in questionable late October weather. http://www.runwithscissors.info/
NB Using % for degrees because there is no easy way to get the degree symbol.
Steve Bottorff; author, teacher and consultant on knife and scissor sharpening.

Herman Trivilino

Quote from: stevebot on September 26, 2016, 03:58:19 AM
NB Using % for degrees because there is no easy way to get the degree symbol.

If you have a numeric keypad you can hold down the Alt key while typing 248. Alternatively, you can use the superscript button (found above the text window when typing a message) followed by lower case o.

Origin: Big Bang

stevebot

Steve Bottorff; author, teacher and consultant on knife and scissor sharpening.

Ken S

Thanks for the replies. รถ I need to keep working on the degree symbol, although that looks like a reasonable facsimile for a yawny face. (It was left over from my pre 1873 surname spelling, when the umlaut became an e.)

Steve, I used your technique for bringing the scissor points in to better alignment by lightly filing the two bumps. It works great! Thanks.

I'll keep you all posted on "the kindergarten project".

Ken o  :)

Clever! Thanks, Herman o