News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

"Caveat Emptor" (Latin for "let the buyer beware")

Started by Ken S, November 26, 2015, 11:47:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken S

I don't normally post comments about items for sale on ebay, however, this item makes a good case for doing some good product research before buying. As the seller carries a variety of items, I have no problem with the seller. However, here is part of the listing:

​Tormek T-3 Water Cooled Sharpening System T3 Square Edge Jig VGC
Description:

Up for sale is a Tormek T-3 water cooled sharpening system. Fitted with a universal support that holds the square edge jig. On the left side of the sharpening system is a leather honing wheel while on the right is a 220 Grit Tormek grindstone held together by a stainless steel shaft. This is a corded Sharpener Running on 230V, 1-50Hz. In all around very good condition in original box as pictured.

Sorry no International shipping!!!

The listing is for "buy it now at $399 or make an offer".

The seller has clearly listed the item. The problem is that this model, with a 230V 1-50Hz motor, is designed for European power, and will not work in North America. With no international shipping, unless a buyer happens to be traveling in the US and lives in Europe, the unit will not function.

The second thing for a new buyer to watch is that the listing is for a T3. Regular forum members will know that a year ago, the T3 was replaced by the redesigned and substantially improved T4, which currently retails for $399. In addition to being compatible with North American electric power, the new T4 is backed by Tormek's seven year (or two year for industrial, commercial or educational use) warranty.

Stig, if you would prefer this post not be on the forum, I certainly understand if you delete it. I made the post for only educational purposes. Having and using a Tormek should be a source of growth and satisfaction for the user. I hope this forum can help educate prospective buyers in making a wise investment in Tormek.

Ken

SharpenADullWitt

Not the first time.

I frequently see listings on Ebay for retail or above.  Often, they are from companies since Ebay's push to get away from individual sellers a few years ago.

Last year, or earlier this year, several that were local to me, were listed there, after getting no response to their near retail, used Tormeks.  One of which was an old square model, with the original sales sheet from Jeff Farris, showing the price (which was within a couple of dollars of what it was posted for, long out of warranty).
Favorite line, from a post here:
Quote from: Rob on February 24, 2013, 06:11:44 PM
8)

Yeah you know Tormek have reached sharpening nirvana when you get a prosthetic hand as part of the standard package :/)

Ken S

SADW,

This topic makes a good case for a new Tormek starting with a new unit purchased through an authorized dealer. I don't care who makes the money. I just believe a new user needs the support of a unit with no previous problems and a solid warranty.

I have no problem with buying used tools. I have purchased a lot of them over the years, including a few Tormek items. Both the item and the price have to be right. Used prices are rarely right, and often higher than new. Caveat emptor.

Ken