News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Differences between year models

Started by delcojoe, July 30, 2006, 07:27:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

delcojoe

Hello -

Can you tell me what the differences are between the year to year models since 2002?  I just bought a SG that was purchased from SharpTools in late in 2002 and am wondering what I might need to bring it up to the current model.  It has the horizontal base but not the micro adjust tool support.  Is there anything else I am missing?  Also, is the micro adjust upgrade more useful/worthwhile for some applications than others?  If so, which ones need it the most?  Finally, I very much doubt this will ever be an issue, but by any chance is the sharptools warranty transferable?

Thanks

Jeff Farris

The warranty is not transferable, sorry.

The micro-adjustable Universal Support is the only feature that you should be missing. Check your shaft.  It is probably chrome plated. Watch it very carefully for corrosion, or buy a new shaft, stone washers, and nut.  They are now stainless.

The micro-adjustable Universal Support is very useful for bench tools (chisels and plane irons). It is a nice feature for scissors in getting the jig set close to the stone.  It has little application in relation to kitchen knives. If you follow our instructions for turning tools, it has little usefulness for them, either. However, for turning tools it is nice to have two Universal Supports, so since you have one, another would give you the best of both worlds, and you would not have to move them as often.
Jeff Farris

delcojoe

Hello -

Thanks for the reply.  I have been watching the videos and for the most part figured out what you said about the micro adjust.  I also suspected as much about the warranty - that is understandable.  Thanks much for the tip on the shaft.  I will check it and keep an eye on it.  The unit I have was barely used at all, so it is probably OK for now.  

I am sure it won't be long before I am going to be looking for additional jigs so you will probably been hearing from me again soon.

Joe