News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Motor Slipping / Turning backwards

Started by rszirmay, July 19, 2006, 02:57:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rszirmay

I was using my new machine that I purchased a few months ago for the first time yesterday to sharpen some wood turning tools.

After some time of running the machine (about the time I was ready to start honing) The motor began to slip and stop.    I noted how hot the motor gets, yikes!.

So, I assumed I had gotten the honing goop onto the drive system and took the wheel off the unit.  I found that the drive wheel had actaully melted onto the drive shaft and the  inner portion of the honing wheel was very sticky.  

I waited for some time, removed the black from the drive shaft, cleaned off the drive wheel, and reassembled the unit with the same result.

I re-read the manual and noted that some of your older machines state that you can run the motor for no more than 30 minutes at a time, although this unit is brand new.  

Please advise your thoughts on how to proceed because I have a lot of tools waiting to be sharpened...

;D

Thanks & Regards,

rob

Jeff Farris

The Model 1200 has a 50 per cent duty rated motor, but that unit is not sold in the United States.  Your machine is rated for continuous duty.

It sounds like you might have been a little over generous with the belt dressing supplied in the Break In and Maintenance Kit.  Clean the drive wheel thoroughly, and then rough it up with coarse sandpaper (80 or 100 grit).  The wheel isn't melting, but the dressing turns black and gets sticky.  

Re: Heat.  The motor does get very hot, but it is built to take it.
Jeff Farris

rszirmay

Hello Jeff,

After I wrote this e-mail I did just what you said with the following results:

The motor started right away and then slowed and stopped.  I took the load off of the motor and it did not start to move.  Turning the motor off and turning is back on did not fix the issue.  It started a few times after I spun the wheel but did not start the wheel on it's own.  A few times the motor started with & without load spinning in reverse...

Since this issue had started, the motor has been making a louder noise that when I first turned the machine on.

I left it off for a while and restarted it again with the same resuts.  

I believe there is either a starter issue or a motor issue.  Starting to be a little disappointed...

What do you think ??

Best,

rob

epw314

unplug it and wait for Jeffs reply.
Ed Weigman

Anything Sharp
172 Mountain Lake Estates
Hawley,Pa 18428
570 685 9755

Jeff Farris

Quote from: rszirmay on July 19, 2006, 06:22:42 AM
Hello Jeff,

After I wrote this e-mail I did just what you said with the following results:

The motor started right away and then slowed and stopped.  I took the load off of the motor and it did not start to move.  Turning the motor off and turning is back on did not fix the issue.  It started a few times after I spun the wheel but did not start the wheel on it's own.  A few times the motor started with & without load spinning in reverse...

Since this issue had started, the motor has been making a louder noise that when I first turned the machine on.

I left it off for a while and restarted it again with the same resuts.  

I believe there is either a starter issue or a motor issue.  Starting to be a little disappointed...

What do you think ??

Best,

rob

Dead motor.  Replacement machine will ship today.
Jeff Farris